Northeast Running Club
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 36s
Overall Rank = 78/94
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am to feed chickens. Same ol', same ol'. LOL! Ate a bagel with peanut butter and jelly and a small gatorade. Since I ate 2 1/2 hours before the start of the race, I took a Zone Bar and Gatorade to snack on in the car. Ate about 1/2 the bar and drank 1/2 the Gatorade. Took the last bite a little over 1 hour before the race.
Event warmup:

Even though I had never run longer than 5.3 miles in training, I wasn't nervous at all before the race. Well, that was until I got there and saw all the serious runner-types there. Wasn't until right before the race started that I found some people like me. LOL!

Walked briskly for 10 minutes, light stretching, then jogged easy about 5 minutes.
Run
  • 59m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I have to say that I really felt awesome from start to finish. I started off slow and in the back as usual. About .25 miles into the race, as the lead group (most of the people) were heading off into the distance, I got a chuckle out of the group I was with by telling everyone "don't worry, those people are just going to burn themselves out". Smiling and having fun is what it is all about.

They had water stops every mile. I passed the first one up, but then I think I grabbed a cup at the rest. I only really drank most of the cup at mile 2. The rest of them I took like 1-2 gulps to wet my mouth and that was it. I think I was pretty successful at running right through the stops without slowing my pace too much. Heck, I already run slow though. Hydration-wise, I felt really good, but it wasn't a long race either.

Right at the end of mile 3/beginning of mile 4, I knew there was a big hill because I hike in this park all the time. I was kind of dreading it because I have never run a hill like that before. I was also disturbed with myself that some negative thinking was trying to creep in, but I kept pushing those thoughts out of my head. And really, there is no need for dreading the hills because even though I don't train on them, I never have a tremendous amount of difficulty with them. Yes I am slow. Yes I breathe harder. But the hills around here are just not that big. This one lasted about 3/4 of a mile and I passed a couple of people going up. I really felt good.

After that, I fell in behind some guy who was going a really nice pace for me. At times he would slow down and I would almost pass him, but then he would speed up. Finally I just decided to stay behind him until the last mile and then make a decision about passing from there. I hope I didn't annoy him too badly as I was following about 10 feet behind him. I even said something to him about following him and he told me it was ok. Probably more annoying to him though was what I was doing. We were jogging on a multipurpose trail and passed a lot of people out for their morning walk. At this point of the race, I felt SO good and my heart and my mind were just smiling inside. Everytime I passed someone on the trail, I said a cheery "Good morning!". I couldn't help it. It was a good morning!

At the 5th mile marker I picked up the pace. Passed the guy I had been behind and never saw him again. I had not really been paying attention to my time other than to hit my lap button on my watch and make sure my total time on my watch corresponded to the race time that the volunteers were announcing at each mile. I had not looked to see what any of my mile splits were along the way. Good thing, because they were all over the place. So as I am toodling along the last mile, I realize that as I passed mile 5, the volunteer had said 49 mins and something. A thought crept in that I might be able to come in under 1 hour. Nah, that can't be possible.

As I rounded the corner to the finish line, I saw the clock said something like 59:20. OH MY GOSH! I can't believe how happy that made me and I sprinted to the end. The few people at the finish told me good job and all that. What they didn't know was how I was feeling inside. They didn't know that I had never ran that far ever and they didn't know that I had no expectations of breaking the 1 hour mark. I was so happy. I didn't need to share it with anyone. I was just content being happy!
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing. Maybe go just a little faster, earlier as I had quite a bit left at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water and ate fruit. I had seen that I had placed 4th in my age group when I checked in. What I didn't realize is that a women in my age group got one of the top three overall spots so that bumped me up to third place. I was VERY surprised when they announced my name at the awards ceremony.

Also, very very cool!!!! I talked to a woman in her 70's that came in about a minute behind me. She started running at age 42. She has run 40 marathons (her best being 3:18 in her late forties) and a 50 mile race. What an inspiration!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being new at running. Middle aged.

Event comments:

I've only done a few races, but this has been my favorite so far. The course through the park was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The day was sunny and warm, but the majority of the race was shaded. It was SO nice not to have to run in the direct sun.

Last updated: 2006-06-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:36 | 06.2 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 78/94
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 11:20, Mile 2 - 7:57, Mile 3 - 10:03, Mile 4 - 9:19, Mile 5 - 10:58, Mile 6.2 - 9:55. They had a volunteer at each mile marker calling out the time. My watch time and their time were within 1-2 seconds the entire race. All I can say is that I really feel their mile markings were screwed up because there is no way I was running this erratic. I have never in my life run a sub 8 minute mile.
Course: Beautiful course! Started on city streets, but quickly headed into a gorgeous park system. Race followed some roads and some multipurpose trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Run for the Hills 10k

2006-06-27 9:51 PM
in reply to: #465494

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Run for the Hills 10k
Great race report - a real inspiration.  I love that you refuse to take yourself too seriously and you have such a good time.  That really is what it's all about.  AWESOME job & ANOTHER medal!  (Gonna have to build a case)  
2006-07-05 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Well done ! Sounds like you ran the course very well since you picked up your pace at the end. Thats the way to do it.

And your conditioning and endurance training has rewarded you with a Trophy . Awsome ! You will have no problem running 5K at the end of a triathlon.
Its good to run with a friend . I joined a local running club , even though I am slower than many of them . Because of this I train of a wider variety of trails and distances. It keeps me motivated and I look forward to the organized events.
2006-07-05 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow....awesome race!

You did so many great things...ran farther than you ever have, beat away negative thoughts about the hill, paced yourself, negative split and passed that guy for good in last mile!

Lots to be proud of! I love the positive mental energy you had in this race...when you are down about training/racing, reread your race report and recall the feelings you had doing this amazing race!

Now I wish I could run as fast as you!

That women that finished after you is sure an inspiration for us who started this crazy tri/running thing in our 40's! I hope we both can be like her when we are older!

Edited by KathyG 2006-07-05 1:54 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Hills 10k Rss Feed