Gulf Winds Track Club
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 20m 30s
Overall Rank = 42/66
Age Group = F 50-55
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I overslept!!!! Thankfully I woke on my own about 7 min late but it definitely freaked me out. I packed everything the night before. Eggs and a few grits for b'fast. Arrived at the race only 30 min early. Will I ever learn to bring a light? Grabbed my basket and my cooler and set up just past the start/finish line. Still in hyper mode due to being late.
Event warmup:

Bathroom and lots of stretches. I vowed to learn from my past mistakes and I would have started late if I couldn't get my stretches in before the start time. I didn't do my run/walk warmup tho and just did it in the race.
Run
  • 6h 20m 30s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 12m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I volunteered at this race several times and I love how laid back it is. There were 84 participants in the 50K and 50 mile: 18 in the 50 miles and 66 in the 50k. Also, it is advertised to Gulf Winds Track Club and others that anyone who wants to come do their miles here, simply come and pay $5 to have full support at the aid stations. So there are lots of people coming out at various times to spend time with friends and family. It's just a great atmosphere where everyone is so supportive.

My plan was 11 min/mile which, with aid breaks/etc. would have me doing each loop in about 1 hour 15 min. First loop was spot on. Second loop, Garmin lost signal but I think I was a little faster on that loop. Third loop, I was right on schedule; walked about 3 min toward the end of loop to take a gel and drink water. Fourth loop, I was thrilled to have Sarah run with me for a couple of miles but then she began manning the aid station at 2.7 again. I began tiring on this loop and walked multiple times but tried to limit walk breaks to about a minute each. (I fully support walking but I didn't want to walk much because my legs would begin stiffening up on me.)

For the fifth loop, my precious husband said he would run it with me. I was really looking forward to seeing him but I was afraid we might clash. I should not have worried because Karl was awesome!!! He was so sweet and kind. He suggested stretching when I got tight and stretched me out cuz I'd fall over on my own. He said all of the right things and let me walk when I needed to. But because he was there, I didn't dissolve and die like I wanted to. He was the best!

We were also so blessed with the weather! It was predicted to be 76. Thankfully it was overcast almost all day and I don't think it ever reached the low 70s. I was even cold for much of the first 3 loops but I consciously didn't overdress like I normally do.

Medals were great; they had an alligator on them. I'll keep mine a little while before sending to Medals4Mettle.
What would you do differently?:

Oh, my brain goes out too dang much and I forget to follow the plan. I meant to take my dried apricots with me beginning the second loop and I meant to take a gel after each loop. Apricots didn't go with me until the 5th loop and I forgot to take the gel after 1st loop. Neither were diasterous because I was keeping up with hydration and food at the stations but it does make me angry to just forget.

Also, Karl suggested I stretch when I got tight. Duh, what a difference it made!!!! Need to remember that for the future. I'm big on post-race stretching and also believe in pre-race light stretching and warmups. But the only other times that I had stretched during a race was the pendulum swing when I was having hip issues. Dang it, stretch next time - downward dog and a few knee pulls.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, stretch, stretch. More chips, fig newtons, and potatoes. I drank my remaining Dr. Pepper's. Afterwards I had some of the spicy vegetarian chili.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Several things need to be recorded just so I can learn from them; they are not excuses. I was out 2 weeks in August due to an infection and 2 weeks in Sept due to back issues. My training had been going well but I was having trouble getting my long runs up safely. Instead of hitting long days per a schedule, I felt it was too soon because of my downtime. I began doing a long one day and then a sorta long two days later. Worked ok but it wasn't the typical prep.

Also I had issues with PF two weeks before the race. I had to rest many days instead of tapering per my schedule. And of course it messed with my head. But the PF didn't materialize that day so I refuse to blame PF for anything. The main thing was I was not as mentally there because of fear. Fear: can make you better or make you worse.

Event comments:

I love this race! I love the RDs and the volunteers were helpful and enthusiastic. This is a low key race in a beautiful place with stunning weather and fun participants. I love how we have race participants but then we have other people that are in and out during the day getting their own miles; it's like have racers and spectators intermingled. Because it's a T-shape instead of a loop, you see everyone all the time - going and coming.

Last updated: 2012-09-15 12:00 AM
Running
06:20:30 | 31.07 miles | 12m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 42/66
Performance: Average
Course: Paved T-shaped 10K course with the start/finish line at the bottom of the T. Well stocked aid stations at 2.7 miles and start/finish. Full bathrooms at start/finish and no other bathrooms but it's all wooded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-12-10 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Tallahassee Ultra Distance

2012-12-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4529961

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Tallahassee Ultra Distance

Sounds like it turned out great, between your husband's support and no PF issues!!!  

Keep it up and stay healthy!!!!

2012-12-12 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
50K, I'm so proud of you!  GREAT job!
2012-12-12 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks, guys!  Yea, it was fun.  The PF still hasn't flaired back up so that's great.  Wish I wasn't going to lose two toenails but at least it's not sandal season.
2013-01-28 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

wow, that sounds like an awesome race, I love that people just come by to run a lap or whatever.

Nice job.  Planning is a royal pain in the a$$ that is for sure.  The only key is checklists, and hopefully someone to look at the checklist and remind you to do the stuff that you know you should do but have forgotten to do.

2013-01-28 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Nice work, Pam!  So glad to hear the PF issues haven't been hindering you much.  What's next for you -- a 50 miler?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tallahassee Ultra Distance Rss Feed