General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It was the best of rides..it was the worst of rides - long Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-26 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden Colorado
Subject: It was the best of rides..it was the worst of rides - long
Went for a 40 mile bike ride today - Longest so far has been 30 miles. Nice sunny - turns out I miscalculated and at the half way point I was at 30miles - I averaged 18.0 mph which for me is great - new aero bars felt good - seat was good - I could go on forever - except I didn't eat anything today and all I had was a power bar with me. Stopped - took helment off - ate power bar - I don't know what I did with the wrapper - couldn't find it anywhere. Well how much bad karma can you get from one wrapper. Mother Nature is a bit**.

Riding home on trail - bee flies into my mouth - I scream as I try to dislodge it. Two guys come along thirty seconds later see that I am stopped and ask me if also heard some girl screaming. Yes I say - she was just goofing off and went an her way - would you please look at my lip and make sure that the stinger has been removed - thank you. My lip swells to the size of a golf ball.

Riding along trail through open space - wow that is a huge crow sitting on the fence post - get closer - it is one of those fake hawks that they set up to keep pigeons away - I'm wondering why they have set it up in a park. Fake Hawk suddenly flies at my head as I ride within 5 feet of it - I scream - fall down - no one to hear it this time.

Skies darken - Glad I will be home before it rains - While I sit in the underpass watching the torrential downpour I am joined by two other unlucky souls - after 15 minutes it has let up - and the water at our feet is now about two inches deep. Well let's try it - of course I am the only one going into the storm -

Wow...I have never actually been hit with hail before - it hurts - a lot - and the rain and wind are very cold - my bike computer says my cadence is 222 and I am doing 145 mph - apparently not water proof. Glad I decided to wear a white jersey today. Very sexy. Rain subsides - trail has hail on it - as well as little brown furry things - great the rain has drown a ton of mice and they are all over - now I have to swerve around them - AS I scream for the third time today one of the vermin has miraculously been saved from drowning only to run into my front spokes and get thrown against my chest. As I pick myself off the ground I discover that I have fallen on one of the vermin's deceased relatives squishing him on my pants.

I made it home - helmet has hail damage - Does this mean I need a new one? bike computer is still jacked up and I will have to explain to my boss why I need a new cell phone since the one in my jersey pocket was so soaked that it fried it. I also have a swollen lip, farmers tan and a sunburned head - shaved it last night and did not put lotion on - must have burned it when I stopped to eat the power bar. Well no serious damage (except to the mounse)and a great first 30 miles - Can't wait to do it again next week. The powerbar wrapper was in my jersey pocket -so I must have gotten the negative Karma some other way.

2004-06-26 9:15 PM
in reply to: #33831

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Subject: RE: It was the best of rides..it was the worst of rides - long
Well Scott, that's "one for the books".
hope your lip gets better soon.
2004-06-26 9:27 PM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Scott....great ride and greater story telling....I started laughing halfway thru and my hubby was asking what was so funny....so I started reading again at the top, out loud this time, and we were both in hysterics (sp?) by the end. Definately one for the books. You made by day!!

I'm allergic to bee stings and have yet to get my new epi pen for the summer. I will go to the drug store on Monday to get one!!!!

Darlene
2004-06-26 9:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-26 9:30 PM

Master
Pensacola, Fl
With more rides like that he may not make it to 95.

Great story. Now I know it can be worse than I actually feel at times. Thanks for the laugh.
2004-06-26 9:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
thanks, Enjoyed the laugh. I had to show this one to my wife, We were both almost in tears by the time we finished.

2004-06-27 1:09 AM

Veteran
MO
Oh my gosh, Scott, that made me cry! It was hilarious! The poor mice -- how disgusting! I think I'd be pretty freaked out if I stood up and found a mouse carcass squashed onto my pant leg. Yuck. Thanks for the story -- makes the trivial little problems I encounter on my rides seem.....well......trivial.
2004-06-27 9:03 AM

Master
Marietta, Ga
That is the funniest story I've heard yet on this site. Unbelievable. Sounds like that was a life's worth of bad karma all in one ride!
2004-06-27 11:30 AM

Master
Kingston Ontario

What a ride that was!!!  Glad you made it through and want to keep on cycling!

Mice....ughhh!   At least they don't end up ON me!  That is up there with the water snakes in the pool that someone posted once.

Jen

2004-06-27 12:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Well that is one for the books, on the positive side you didn't flat.

Thanks for the great story..

Roy
2004-06-28 1:22 PM

Good laugh for all of us since you were not hurt. As for karma -- I am of the belief that sometimes we are getting the (bad and at times even the good) karma from some distant relative that has started it all.

Glad you did not get injured on your adventure...

2004-06-28 2:36 PM

Champion
Fairport, NY
ROTFL. Scott, after making it through that ride there is no race that can beat you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It was the best of rides..it was the worst of rides - long Rss Feed