BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-04-21 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Michael great race.  I have never done a pool swim and the more race reports with them, the more I think I never want to.

Keep up the hard work and the weight will fall off.  Good job today!

2013-04-21 7:14 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ahhhhh. Recovery. I was starting to worry about how long it was taking for my legs to come back around after last weekend's race. Everything has been hard this last week until the last 36 hours or so when I suddenly felt good again. Had the best training run I have had in weeks this afternoon and just generally feeling good.

Michael, excellent work on your (12th, not your 2nd) race. Really strong work.

I feel like everyone in the forum is putting the pressure on with all the awesome results . When I finally get around to doing a triathlon I had better have my stuff together to keep up with this group.
2013-04-21 8:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Recovery? I'm wondering if it will ever happen? Fortunately, I have an option tomorrow of either off or 60 min easy spin. Will probably do the easy spin as I feel better with some active recovery.

Today was an unusual day with 2 workouts despite racing yesterday. Had a pretty good 9 mile easy run and then a 2000 yard swim. Legs alternated between feeling good and tired. Did some bike clean up/mainenance and then went for a 2-3 mile walk with my wife. Absolutely beautiful day here.

2013-04-21 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Michael - excellent race and very thorough race report. You should be proud given the times you've put up so far.
2013-04-22 8:24 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Congrats on a great race Michael!

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I spent it decompressing from my 12 weeks of being overworked and way over tired  Ate too much and spent too much money (don't worry it was on important things like sneakers!).  

Time to get serious.  I'm letting my heel rest today so I just went to the gym and PT and Core workouts.  Back to the pool tomorrow.

To me, this really marks the beginning of the season and I'm ready to get my head in the game.  I'm looking forward to all of your race reports coming in as well

2013-04-22 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton
I woke up this morning and I am pretty sore! I guess I should have spend some time on the foam roller last night before going to work. Next two days are REST DAYS ... Yeah ... 

2013-04-22 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

So if I didn't have enough motivation to come back from this injury, I do now.  I just check the race results for the sprint I was suppossed to do on Sat.  Based on where I was and assuming no melt down, I would have finished 2nd or 3rd out of 11 in the age group.

So I am saying it out loud...write it down: I will podium in this race next year.

I see the doctor today for my first post-op visit.  Looking forward to getting off my backside and doing something, anything, but that is a few weeks away.  Until then I will be watching all of your great results and making plans to rejoin the fight soon.

Keep up the great work!

2013-04-22 12:38 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sooooo.... swim progress. Or not.

I had been reading some stuff about how tritahletes will destroy themselves running and cycling but that it is the very rare triathlete that extends themselves this way in the water. I realized that this is probably true for me. I swim hard but rarely, if ever, put myself in to that red zone of imminent failure.

This morning I had a 400yd TT as part of my workout and I decided that I was going to go all-in. And I did. From the very first 25 yards I pushed as hard as I could. I felt fast. I was breathing hard. I was barely hanging on, but I kept it together and even pushed a little harder for the last 100 yards or so to finish strong. I was spent but felt good about my effort...... until I looked at the clock which said that I had taken six minutes exactly to do 400 yards. What? I can swim almost easy and go 6:00 for 400 and here I was spilling my heart out to go fast.... and going the same exact pace. WTH?

All I can guess is that my form must have broken down significantly, causing me to go much slower than my effort level made me feel like I was doing.

Very educational on multiple levels. 1) More effort does not necessarily mean faster at the level I am at now. 2) I need to be smart in races. I can push like crazy in the water, exhaust myself, and come out at the same time I would have if I had just kept it together and swam "within myself." 3) In spite of all of the work I have been doing, I need to do more.

I think I will start by trying to bury myself at much shorter intervals. 25s and 50s so I won't get so tired that my form breaks down. When that starts to feel better, I will start adding in 100s and 200s. We will see what happens.

Stuart, what do you think of this plan?
2013-04-22 12:38 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart,

Way to put the goals out there. I am confident that you will achieve them.

Nice to have something to work toward.
2013-04-22 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jason you have heard me say many times, the only thing you get by muscling through a swim is tired. You just experienced that.  As for your remedy, your idea is ok depending on the execution.

Try this.  Put the extra effort in at the back end of the swims.  So if you are swimming a set of 400s, push the last 50 of each BUT don’t break form.  Specifically:

1. Pick up your arm turnover by 1 stroke per 25 to start.
  2. Increase your kick SLIGHTLY.  Think about keeping your legs shallow but in the water, no splash.
  3. Increase the number of strokes/breath by one-half or one full stroke.

Because you held form for the first 350 the conscious effort to increase the turnover and kick you should be able to hold form easier than just trying to sprint for 25 or 50 yards. 

You never want to just all-out sprint at the expense of form.  The swim in a tri is not a sprint, even in the shorter races.  What you want to achieve is stronger longer swims without expending all your energy.  Tacking on the extra speed over a short distance (to start) at the back end of each swim will get you there.

Try that and let me know how that feels.

2013-04-22 7:47 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Put in 2200 meter swim and a good 70 min run (7.8 miles) today. I got a good 9 hours of sleep and another 10% more calories yesterday. I felt better than I have in a week. It's probably both sleep and nutrition. I can control the later but the first is all up to chance with my job. Thanks for the advice Stuart. I've had the same issue of limited improvement in swim speed with disproportionately large power output. I'm going to give your advice a shot.

2013-04-22 8:16 PM

User image

New user
Stuart, I like your attitude about next year and I expect you will do it! I enjoy reading your contributions and am glad you are hanging in and still a great part of our group!

I have a half marathon this Saturday. I am walking the big majority of it, I am up to 2 miles jogging at this point so will jog that much at least. How much of it do you guys think is prudent for me to jog given my training just has me at 2 miles jogging per workout? I have trained to walk the distance so I am ok with that part.

Also I want to drink enough to stay hydrated but not so much that I am stopping a bunch of times for output! Any suggestions on accomplishing a balance?

I did a 32 mile group ride yesterday! This biking group is really helping me to ease my miles up and increase my confidence that I can go farther.
2013-04-22 8:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Stuart-great to see you setting a long term goal. You will get there.
2013-04-23 5:45 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Dave-nice job on the workouts. Glad you are feeling better. Seems we all have ups and downs with our training. We just have to remember to get plenty of rest so we can recover properly.

Mary-in most running races the mistake people make is going out to fast. I would recommend sticking with a plan that you are comfortable with based on your run/walk training so far. Then when you get to a point closer to the end see if you can run the remainder of the way and finish strong. That way you will not have tried to do too much too soon in the race. If you wait until closer to the end to extend yourself you won't have far to the finish if you fade a bit. You have done great building to this point. Really smart. Enjoy the race.

2013-04-23 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

First of all, congrats to Scott on his birthday and conquering that hill amd congrats to Randy and Micheal on their races! Great job you guys!! Also good luck to Mary on the HM this weekend!

Ok. So I haven't been posting much. I was kind of ashamed about my lack of activity even though in my mind I had good reason. My HM was this past weekend and I've been saving everything up for it. I was so worried about injuring the IT band further that I've been on a 2 month taper. I was trying to be smart but it sucked up my motivation too.

The good news is that the race went really great. I felt great-relaxed and comfortable. The IT band held out until almost mile 10 when it got really tight as I rana short incline. After that I was able to hold pace even through the pain for about a mile before I got dropped. I limp-ran and walked the couple of small hills between miles 11 and 12 and limp-ran/walked th last mile.

The really good news is I still managed a PR although I'm a little bummed that I didn't get the chance to see what I could have done.

The even better news is that a few days out from the race and the IT band is healling nicely (I've been using Castor oil wraps for the last 2 weeks-at first out of desperation but now I'm finding it actually helps). I'm not doing anything until it stops being painful but I'm thinking I'll probably be able to swim tomorrow or Thursday.

The best news is that it's over and now I can focus on training smart without injury and letting this heal. And maybe get out for a bike ride finally. I miss my bike.

Edited by nicoleg 2013-04-23 11:04 AM
2013-04-23 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4711571

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
nicoleg - 2013-04-23 11:00 AM

The good news is that the race went really great. I felt great-relaxed and comfortable. The IT band held out until almost mile 10 when it got really tight as I rana short incline. After that I was able to hold pace even through the pain for about a mile before I got dropped. I limp-ran and walked the couple of small hills between miles 11 and 12 and limp-ran/walked th last mile.

The really good news is I still managed a PR although I'm a little bummed that I didn't get the chance to see what I could have done.

The even better news is that a few days out from the race and the IT band is healling nicely (I've been using Castor oil wraps for the last 2 weeks-at first out of desperation but now I'm finding it actually helps). I'm not doing anything until it stops being painful but I'm thinking I'll probably be able to swim tomorrow or Thursday.

The best news is that it's over and now I can focus on training smart without injury and letting this heal. And maybe get out for a bike ride finally. I miss my bike.

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013-04-23 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4711571

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
nicoleg - 2013-04-23 12:00 PM

First of all, congrats to Scott on his birthday and conquering that hill amd congrats to Randy and Micheal on their races! Great job you guys!! Also good luck to Mary on the HM this weekend!

Ok. So I haven't been posting much. I was kind of ashamed about my lack of activity even though in my mind I had good reason. My HM was this past weekend and I've been saving everything up for it. I was so worried about injuring the IT band further that I've been on a 2 month taper. I was trying to be smart but it sucked up my motivation too.

Great job managing to get a PR!

2013-04-23 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Great job on the PR Nicole.  Get the IT band issue behind you and really blow up your PR.  Keep up the good work!
2013-04-23 7:43 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job Nicole!

No internet at the office today   I'd like to say I got more work done but it was crazy so just felt like I was swimming upstream all day. Did get to go swim at lunch and had a tough bike workout tonight. I'm hoping I'm past  the blahs I was experincing last week. Swim and run on tap for tomorrow.

2013-04-24 10:44 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I felt so lousy starting last night's run. I didn't want to do it. My legs hurt. I was tired. And whiny. But, the schedule said run for 40 minutes so I decided I would do it. At the one mile mark, I still felt bad but decided to keep slogging on. Miraculously, as I crossed the two mile mark, everything changed. The run got easy. My legs felt good. My pace increased. I did the next 3.5 miles almost effortlessly and had a really nice run.

Sometimes just toughing it out for a little bit can make all of the difference. I thought it would be a terrible run but it turned out great.

(Conversely, every once in awhile I feel great when I start a workout and struggle to finish. It sure is hard to figure out this whole endurance training thing sometimes).
2013-04-24 11:55 AM

User image

Expert

That's great Jason!  Can't tell you how many times this happens to me, especially after a 12 hour work day.  The most dangerous thing I do (to sabotage my training plans) is lay on the couch right before a workout as the resistance to getting back off the couch and get it done grows exponentially both mentally and physically.  After about a mile or so of s/b/r something just "clicks" and I often have some of my best training sessions.  If there were only a way to be able to turn this on anytime!

I'm in Anaheim with my son (he is competing in a business competition called DECA).  We are going to have today off and will go to Disney.  We caught an Angels game last night.  It was a perfect night, such a cool father son thing to do.  Tomorrow I head to San Diego to spend a few days with my other son and hope to get back to my favorite 50 meter pool in Coronado, and run along the Silver Strand Beach.

Job hunting is exciting.  Will be ready to start interviewing soon.  Still evaluating where I want to end up but now Arizona is looking more and more appealing!

Jim

2013-04-24 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
I love it when a run turns around in a good way. Sometimes if I don;t want to run Ican negotiate with myself to go out and run a mile and I end up going much further and end up having a great workout.
2013-04-24 8:23 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rainy weather put me on thr treadmill for my run tonight which included several half mile intervals. First run in my Hoka Bondi B shoes. I'm thinking these might become my go to shoe for easy/long runs. They felt great with the extra cushioning and I didn't notice any different "feel" than I do with my other running shoes. I know Jason had been running in Hoka's for awile....I think I see why.

Edited by slornow 2013-04-24 8:37 PM

(bondi-cyan-white.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bondi-cyan-white.jpg (28KB - 14 downloads)
2013-04-25 10:11 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy,

Glad you liked your first run in the Hokas. They are really great shoes. I do all (most) of my long runs in them because I truly believe that it reduces the wear and tear on my legs.

Is anyone following the "GatorDeb" thread in the TT forum? I have posted a couple times in it about how much work triathlon is. Triathlon is super fun and super enjoyable but it is also hard! Getting better at triathlon requires dedication and a degree of suffering. I think my coach is a little outside of the norm when it comes to speed work and intervals but I would estimate that I do anywhere from 3-7 workouts per week that challenge me to the point that I "worry" about them, perhaps even dread them a little bit. But as much as I may dread them, I believe that putting in that work outside of what is comfortable is what is, slowly but surely, making me better.

I guess my point is that doing something that is really fun isn't always really fun. Sometimes it is even a little miserable, but for me that challenge is what makes it fun (and occasionally frustrating).

I have been quietly battling some hamstring issues for the last month at least. I have been really diligently stretching and doing some foam rolling and I think it is finally getting better. Very relieved to be able to say that. It has been a nearly constant source of irritation, training and not training, for a long time now. It feels pretty good to be sitting down and not feeling that constant ache from my leg. Anyways.... wanted to share.
2013-04-25 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4714635

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-read through the "Gator Deb" thread. Your responses were spot on in my opinion. You really can't expect much in terms of improvement without pushing yourself. Now, "pushing" will be different for everyone. For some it may be really fast splits on the track while for others it may be walking a mile. Ultimately, doing the same thing over and over will not yield much improvement. Satisfaction for some comes in completing the race while others may be dissappointed if they don't make it to the podium. Setting goals and reaching them is such an individual thing.

Pretty good bike workout tonigh. Definitely feeling better than last week on the bike!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66