General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Gulf Coast Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-28 9:28 AM

User image

Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon : Official Thread

anyone else racing Gulf Coast in May? Looks like there aren't a ton of ppl signed up just yet ...hopefully some more jump in or it's going to be a really small race! 

any tips on GCT from past participants?

2013-01-13 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4551435

User image

Duluth, GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon : Official Thread
I'm coming in town to do this race as well. I'm doing IMFL in November and heard the 2 races used some of the same roads so I figured it would be a good practice run. The course is relatively flat but the wind could cause some problems. 
2013-01-23 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Al
I've done GCT twice now. Great little race for sure. It's a similar course to IMFL. Expect May to be cool in the morning and get hot and humid fast. The southern winds mean the ocean can be sporty and you'll likely have a headwind coming in. It's the crazy crosswinds between the condos that are tough on front breach rd. The ocean will look like a lake one day and a washing machine the next. It's really hit & miss, but it's never canceled. I had heard that GCT was tougher than IMFL and I didn't believe it until I did IMFL. I think one of the biggest differences is having time to adapt to the temps by Nov. for most athletes, GCT will be their first run in the heat of the year. Rumors are that IMFL has easier swims than GCT. I found that to be true as well. Regardless, it's a great race. Awards 10 deep. Great restaurants and cheap lodging. Road surface is good, and the run support is great everywhere but the park. IMFL changed the run course, may e GCT will as well. I've got a race report in the blog archives for My '12 (link below) if you want to check it out.
2013-01-24 8:30 AM

User image

Thanks! Great info...will be my first go at an ocean swim and I'm a little worried about that because like you said, it can be so varied based on the day. 
2013-01-24 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4592063

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Borden - 2013-01-23 10:23 PM

I've done GCT twice now. Great little race for sure. It's a similar course to IMFL. Expect May to be cool in the morning and get hot and humid fast. The southern winds mean the ocean can be sporty and you'll likely have a headwind coming in. It's the crazy crosswinds between the condos that are tough on front breach rd. The ocean will look like a lake one day and a washing machine the next. It's really hit & miss, but it's never canceled. I had heard that GCT was tougher than IMFL and I didn't believe it until I did IMFL. I think one of the biggest differences is having time to adapt to the temps by Nov. for most athletes, GCT will be their first run in the heat of the year. Rumors are that IMFL has easier swims than GCT. I found that to be true as well. Regardless, it's a great race. Awards 10 deep. Great restaurants and cheap lodging. Road surface is good, and the run support is great everywhere but the park. IMFL changed the run course, may e GCT will as well. I've got a race report in the blog archives for My '12 (link below) if you want to check it out.

x2 on all of the above..

I've done GCT 6 times over the years(last time in '10) and wind/water conditions can be variable.. The signature part of the race is the run loop through St Andrews Park which has no shade/nowhere to hide and is a real test of your tolerance for heat(I'm assuming this is still part of the course!).

I wouldn't worry too much about the registration pool - the race consistently drew 1500 people over the years I participated but since it was never a sell out, racers took their time to commit.

Win/Lose, I always had a good time racing there..Good luck with your training.
2013-03-04 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I'm in.  I registered before the price increase on March 1.  I've done IMFLA a couple times so pretty familiar with the course.  

Looking forward to a hot challenging day.

2013-03-05 5:37 PM

User image

i'm in . my first TRI any words of wisdom
2013-03-08 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4647768

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

words of wisdom

If it's carbon, buy it.  

Edited by LSUfan4444 2013-03-08 2:32 PM
2013-03-27 12:51 PM

User image

New user

It is that time of year!! Next race, GCT  @ PCB!! My favorite race ever.

I competed in my first half hear, 12 years ago, and just last year made my return. This year i come back with lots of new toys, lots more training, and a desire to go FAST..

On a daily basis I work hard, train hard, and eat right. I do this so that i can race fast and binge for a few days afterwards. No place or race in America is better for racing and binging than PCB.

We rent a suite condo less than have a mile (look up Eileen Meyer, Gulf Crest rentals) from transition. The rates are perfect, the condo is beautiful!

Gulf Coast hosts the best after party anywhere. They rent out a big dance club and let us eat and drinnk to our little overtrained hearts content.

My advice for training for this race? Swim a lot beforehand. 2000 yards in open water with a chop is more like 3000 in a pool. Ride a lot in the wind, test out your aero stuff and race wheels in windy conditions. And lastly, run in the heat.

2013-05-07 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ready for the IMFL sneak peek with this race?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Gulf Coast Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed