Team Ortho
-2F / -19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed anywhere I could where it was warm. We had a friend pick up our race packets the day before so we met up at the bag drop, got our bib numbers and timing chip and dropped everything else off.
Event warmup:

Heh, warmup... In the five minutes I spent standing at the start line my toes were numb and my fingers were darn near frostbit. It took until about mile 2 or 3 until my toes thawed out.
Run
  • 2h 05m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the first lap (the 10k) with a friend who was doing that race so I think in the end I ran too hard too soon. By about mile 8 or 9 my legs were starting to tighten up and hurt so I back off and shuffled to the finish trying not to hurt myself. It's a funny conversation that happens in your head trying to balance not hurting yourself with the feeling like you're not going fast enough. My last HM I finished in 1:51, so this really wasn't the time I was looking for.
What would you do differently?:

I took too much time off after IM AZ, my longest run since November until this race was about 7.5 miles, otherwise a whole bunch of 3-5 milers.

As far as race day clothing goes, I wore some running tights, windproof underwear, running shorts, calf sleeves, my toe socks, another pair of cold weather running socks, compression top, thick Brooks running top, Bontrager cycling jacket, gloves, balaclava and regular hat.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the warming tent, which was no longer being warmed so quickly left there and got on the bus back to the parking lot. Spent 10 minutes in the car warming up and changing out of wet clothes before hitting the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold.

Event comments:

Plenty of drink stations, but a frozen cup of powerade doesn't do me much good! Not their fault of course when it's below zero out. They were running low on hot chocolate at the end, they really need to enforce the rule about food/drink being for runners only, not anyone who happens to want to help themselves.

Last updated: 2012-12-26 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:34 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 laps out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2