General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Times on Race Day - What to expect? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-29 8:02 PM

User image

Cheese Country
Subject: Times on Race Day - What to expect?
Hey everyone -

Ok I've been working out, keeping to the training schedule... but I've not done the entire event back to back as of yet. Each day I keep track of my times, trying to better them w/ each workout. My question is what can I expect from my times on race day? 10% decrease... etc... So I run 3.1 miles in 30 mins (ok no one laugh!) - but back that up to biking 20 miles - will my run be slower? (obviously right?) I anticipate I'll have slower times the day of the race. ~~ Right?? ~~

Ugh... Does anyone else feel like they could eat an entire elephant after riding for a few hours? Wow!! Also drinking like a MILLION gallons of water!!

Thank you everyone! Have a good and safe holiday weekend!

Dez

2006-06-29 8:11 PM
in reply to: #470359

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: RE: Times on Race Day - What to expect?

Your race times will depend on how you've trained.  It varies from person to person.  Since this is your first you'll more than likely be a little bit slower running than normal.  I generally run about 30-45 seconds per mile slower, but I am usuaully 2-3mph faster on the bike.  My swim speed is generally about the same as my training, though I tend to take it really easy on the swim, push hard on the bike and then move as quick as my legs and lungs will allow me on the run.

Don't be afraid to use your first race to learn some things.  My first race I had very slow transition times, but I learned how to better move in transition, now I can generally keep transitions to around a minute if not faster.

Chris.

2006-06-29 8:20 PM

User image

Cheese Country
"I tend to take it really easy on the swim, push hard on the bike and then move as quick as my legs and lungs will allow me on the run."

Now that sounds like a plan!!

Do you ever do the entire event prior to? How far in advance? How many times?

Thank you!!

2006-06-30 1:16 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Normally you don't do the whole event as training (unless it's really short) but what is really helpful is to do Brick workouts.

Usually Bike/Run where you bike and then throw on your running shoes and go running right afterwards.  You should head out on the run within 5 minutes of finishing the bike ride.  This is the best practice for what you're going to feel like on race day.

2006-06-30 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
On my first tri, I really struggled on the swim, I think it was about the same speed as I trained, but I struggled with being out of breath and stuff -- I think it was just nerves. I got my groove in the bike and was signifcantly faster in the bike and run that I trained. Now I have set myself up for dissapointment if the same doesn't hold true for the second tri!
2006-06-30 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

I was the opposite of mandy. I did really well on the swim, okay on the bike and finished with a very slow run. It depends on a lot of factors - heat, you, you, equipment, you.

Just go out and have fun. It's your first! Oh, and the whole eating an elephant thing? See my sig line.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Times on Race Day - What to expect? Rss Feed