General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Training Peaks... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-26 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Subject: Talk to me about Training Peaks...

Specifically, is it worth it?

What can I do that I can't do on Garmin Connect (or other free sites)?

Do actual people give you feedback?  Or is for you to make sense of?

Training with power for the past 3-4 months.  Starting my IM plan...thinking it would be nice to get a little more out of the data I collect.  I currently just upload to Garmin Connect.    Thanks for the input!

2013-01-26 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4595885

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Talk to me about Training Peaks...
runninirish - 2013-01-26 2:15 PM

Training with power for the past 3-4 months.  Starting my IM plan...thinking it would be nice to get a little more out of the data I collect.  I currently just upload to Garmin Connect.    Thanks for the input!

I use TP mainly for planning, and a little analysis. I do most of my analysis via Golden Cheetah for the bike. I don't do any analysis for swimming or running. Garmin Connect is pretty weak on analysis. Golden Cheetah is free and a good option.

The reason I switched to TP was for the virtual coach option. I use the virtual coach and annual training plan to set up my training and periodize my training. The cost for a year of TP is about t cost of one month of training, so I thought this option would be best.

TP is also popular with coaches because they can look at and analyze the training of their clients without requiring them to send in files.

2013-01-27 8:04 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I am not a of the logging system at all. I hired a coach who used TP but I just couldn't stand it. For instance if my coach entered a workout for me but I did something different I could enter that but the calendar always showed the planned, not actual work out. I told her I liked BT and now she puts in my workouts here and agrees is is much more user friendly.
2013-01-27 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
I have been using TP for 4 years and I really like it. Unless you hire a couch, nobody will give you feedback. You can always upload to BT also if you want more feedback. Or hire a couch. Like someone else said, Golden Cheetah is also a good option. But I dont find it as easy to use. It's also bike only focused. I like that TP calculates tss for swimming and running. I am sure there are holes in how it works, but it does seem to track fairly well for me. If you are new to power, I would recommend reading training and racing with a power meter. You can really hone in your weaknesses and look to make improvements,
2013-01-27 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

I've been using TP for about 6 years now and love it!  It has its issues (still very heavy on flash, so gets slow sometimes), but other then that works great. 

Been using it for last 3 years or so with power now, and it does have TONS of tools to analyze your workouts.  I would even say too many to where a lot of people fall into the "analysis - paralysis" trap.  

But as someone else mentioned it does calculate TSS for running and swimming also, so if you put all your thresholds in correctly and update accordingly, its a great tool to track your fitness and fine tune your taper for your A races. 

2013-01-28 5:36 AM

Master
STL
I just use the free version to log workouts and food. I don't really 'analyze' anything and what I do the free version is good for. Only think I don't like is I can't 'plan' out my week. So, for this, I just put my planned workouts on my Google calendar.

2013-01-28 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
runninirish - 2013-01-26 6:15 PM

For an individual user, I don't think that TrainingPeaks is worth it - however, this would depend on what the user was looking for and what they wanted to pay. I use TrainingPeaks pretty much daily with my athletes and as a coach, TrainingPeaks works quite well to have everything in one place, allows analysis of workout files and facilitates communication between myself and my athletes.

If I was just logging my own training, I would simply use the logs here and then for power analysis use Golden Cheetah. Generally when I'm looking at power files, even though I've paid for WKO+ and Race Day, I'll use Golden Cheetah as it has the functionality I need and since I was using it for my own power analysis, I'm familiar with it.

Shane
2013-01-28 7:49 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
runninirish - 2013-01-26 4:15 PM

As a coach, Training Peaks is great! It allows me to have all my clients in one place, loading training plans is easy, and they can upload their Garmin data files to the website so I can view their HR, etc. It also allows me to save workouts so I can reuse them. I give my clients feedback, but they don't get it from other people (it's not a social website from what I can tell).

As a triathlete, I don't use Training Peaks. I load all my data here. I also don't use my HR monitor these days. I need to get my HR zones redone, so I haven't bothered with it.

Really Training Peaks is there so you can analyze the data yourself. Unless you have a coach looking at it too.

2013-01-28 9:51 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I started using TP when I bought my TGT watch, simply because that's what it exported to.

I log my workouts here, but when I'm trying to watch my calories and cut a few lbs. and really like their food log and calorie counter for workouts.

As you can probably guess it's mostly personal preference for that kind of stuff because you can do the same things here.

2013-01-28 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I have a love hate relationship with it.  I think the BT logs are the best out there.  But they have a ways to go before they have the analytical tools I need. 

As a coach, I like TP.  It makes my life much easier.  As an athlete, eh.  I use it because my coach uses it.  Before hiring him, I didn't upload my data for over 3 years to TP.  There was no need and the functionality was a pain. 

2013-01-28 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Aside from the other points made in the answer to the question, I specifically like that TP has it all integrated - planning, results, analysis, food (one of the best calorie tracking options in my opinion). I also take in my regular biometrics and TP supports that too, though not all the fields that my segmental scale provides.  

For specifics on analysis I'm toying with WKO+ and a trial version of the physfarm product.  I look at Garmin connect once in awhile, especially for my swim results in pool swimming where I can get length by length results from my 910xt displayed.

I'm only now getting into understanding TSS, but it seems TP has that covered.

I've never used BT logs so don't know what I"m missing or whether they are better or worse than TP.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-01-28 12:27 PM

2018-12-12 6:01 PM
in reply to: runninirish

Their refund policies can be confusing to the unwary. I cancelled two days after signing up for training plan thinking I still had five more days to cancel. They explained that no, after 24 hours it’s at their discretion. I’m not sure what their acceptance criteria is but Terry didn’t seem the least bit interested in finding out why I cancelled.

Buyer beware with these folks.
2018-12-13 10:00 PM

User image

Ventura, California

I signed up for TP years ago and got the free account. I logged in a couple times and was like meh' whatevers and never logged back in again.

Fast forward to now and I have Ironman Boulder 2019 to train for. So in the process of researching different training methods/sites/coaching, etc...I had a few choices:

(24 month planning)

1) A local coach who wanted $299 for a each of 2 12 week plans, so $598. This did not include any changes, email contact 2x a month, no file analysis. If I wanted the full package it was going to be $400 per month. Well established coach, pro triathlete history, I am sure worth every penny, but WAY TOO RICH for my mortal budget.

2) TriDot, free 2 months introduction package with all the bells and whistles, then you can select a monthly rate that suites your needs after that. I did not want to get into something where I got the full deal up front and then had to sacrifice to the bare bones package after that, or feel like I needed to go with the full package and hurt every month with a potentially unneeded financial hit. There also appeared to be a fairly steep learning curve to their software, and they focused on more intense workouts because of the pressure to get results.

3) Go with a premium TP account with a solid training plan, pay for it all in one shot and focus on training. In the end I found a training plan by Matt Fitzgerald and his 80/20 Endurance training plans. He offers levels 0-4 (0-beginner 4-pro/expert) for all distances. I choose the level 2 140.6 plan. The plan by itself is $84, or for $169 you get the plan plus 6 months of premium TP. 

Advantages:
Training plan is automatically already loaded and ready to go, you just follow along. 
Your completed workouts are automatically uploaded from your Garmin account.
You can download to workouts directly into your Garmin watch or bike computer and simply follow the workout! (Have not tried this yet)
You can create the bike workouts in Trainer Road for doing indoor trainer rides.
You can also purchase the 80/20 Triathlon book and get all workouts in the book for $20 if your so motivated.

So for me it really came down to cost effectiveness, training effectiveness, and ease of implementation. I don't want to focus on software and all the idiosyncrasies involved with the art of training. I simply want to train and train effectively.

Training Peaks combined with a quality training plan allows me to do just that, train, simply and effectively. SO that is the reason after researching several different avenues I went with TP.

www.8020endurance.com

2018-12-21 7:28 AM

User image

The difference between Training Peaks and Garmin Connect is primarily the ability of a coach to view, access, schedule etc workouts and the amount of analysis you can do, both of individual workouts and trends over time.

Is it worth it? Depends on how you currently train. Digging into data analysis when you do not cover the basics in training or don't train enough to really worry about training load isn't really worthwhile. If you don't have a coach then, again, that takes away some of the benefit.

Most of my athletes I have ion the free plan, because I get to see their more advanced data on my coaching plan and, frankly, they wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

On a side note. A training plan and a coach are two very different things. Buying a fixed training plan online is great, way better than bumbling along on your own. Having a coach takes things (or at least should) into a totally different ballpark.
2018-12-27 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I use it to train my athletes and it works for what I need.
They sync with Garmin and the reports TP spits out for each workout help me analyze the workouts and give feedback.
Athletes can have just a basic free account and that works well.

If you are working with a coach and need communication, TP is your tool.

If you just want to poke around the data, Garmin connect works.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Training Peaks... Rss Feed