General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th Metatarsal - 2nd opinion-MRI needed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-03 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: 5th Metatarsal - 2nd opinion-MRI needed?

Hey folks - long story short I fell and went to my general practitioner the following day- xray'd and was told I broke my 5th metatarsal - avulsion fracture. (Also interestingly it was pointed out that there was a spur that developed on the head of my first metatarsal from sesimoid bones as a result of a bunionectomy. ) Anyhow... for those that have had a fracture - did you get an MRI? do I need to worry about ligaments/tendons ? I'm 50 and realize that recovery takes time (and I'm not a very good patient UGH!!! I feel like a caged animal and find it difficult to chill out with my foot at rest) but I don't just want to be fixed in terms of the break but also fully functional without a long term 'gimp' or nagging pain as a result of soft tissue damage.

2013-02-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4607007

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: 5th Metatarsal - 2nd opinion-MRI needed?
What exactly do you think an MRI is going to do for you?  Cause all it is going to do is tell you that you have a 5th metatarsal fracture.  I would suggest you see an orthopedic surgeon as my confidence in most GPs abilities to treat fractures is fairly small.  If it is truly an avulsion from the 5th it should not slow you down too much.  If you PM me where you live I know several orthos in the Madison area I could recommend if that is where you are.
2013-02-04 8:51 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
I fractured my 3rd metatarsal a few years ago.  I was in a boot, but DR (pediatrist and endurance athlete) told me I could cycle just no standing climbs and I could swim just could not push off the wall with the bad foot.  Running was out, but water running was fine.  
2013-02-07 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

thanks Abbie and Socks. I have an appt next week with an ortho guy who specializes in ankles/feet. It has been 8 days and it is still pretty sore. Lots of black and blue along all the toes and a bit behind my ankle bone. I don't think I could swim with this unless it was taped - alot and then used a pull buoy. This really has knocked me for a loop with how it has stopped any training. Mind you, I am not training for any specific event but its my 'sanity' to get my endorphins daily LOL. 

We'll see how it goes with the ortho dude. I'm hoping he can look at any gait issues that I had prior to this and I think that my bone spur under my big toe probably added to my susceptibility of falling like I did. 

thanks for the feedback. 

2013-02-16 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4613698

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
I think a lot of it depends on how you fell, exactly, but most 5th metatarsal fractures do very well with some time in a boot. The doctor you're going to should know the details...personally I'd defer to their opinion over the GP and go from there. Bring up what you want to do and if it's ok or if the ortho has alternatives you can do.
2013-03-10 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Ditto on the orthopedic surgeon. They do great work!

2013-03-12 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I didn't have an avulsion, but did have a stress fracture 5th metatarsal head and a subsequent accumulation of bone spurs.  Was scheduled for surgery to take the whole joint out as nothing was healing.  While I was waiting (was an 8 month wait here) I did time in a boot, aggresive acupunture (don't blast me, it worked for me, though not for everyone i'm sure), new orthotics, totally different shoes and 6 months off running (with cycling and swimming in there, which is how i found triathlon) and finally NO SURGERY!  Now i'm back running pain-free as long as I keep to certain conditions... for me, I have to keep it under 7km and watch the concrete, but otherwise, running better than I ever have!  Good Luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th Metatarsal - 2nd opinion-MRI needed? Rss Feed