General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some initial thoughts about my first ride on the Cervelo P5-Six Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-21 6:42 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Some initial thoughts about my first ride on the Cervelo P5-Six

Last week I finally had the chance to pick up my 2013 Cervelo P5-Six after a lengthy wait.  Unfortunately, the week before it came in, we got hammed with about 3' of snow.  This has left the roads a bit narrower than normal.  We got some rain and some nice days and the roads are close to normal width again, so today I couldn't help myself and grabbed my cold weather gear and headed out to a local sprint loop.  Now before I talk about the ride, I'm going to confess that I haven't been on the bike much at all this winter.  I'm a better cyclist then I am a runner so I've been spending some time on the treadmill working on improving my run and hoping that my cycling legs get their memory back quickly.  In the winter, I find it pretty difficult to keep motivation with the short days and cold temperatures.  It's also my "family time." I feel I owe it to them to scale back a bit on the big training after they've dealt with a season of racing and training.  I try to get to more of my daughter's soccer games and spend some time with them.  It's the least I can do for them after supporting me all season long.

So needless to say, my legs aren't what they were at the end of last season.  Breathing in the cold sucks and definitely makes the respiratory system work a bit more.  But it didn't stop me from getting in a quick ride.

Now my previous bike was a Cervelo P2.  It was a great bike, and in fact should be serving a fellow BT'er just as well now.  My P2 fit me well and was comfortable.  Despite my P5 being set up with similar numbers, I discovered that we need to make some changes and tweak the fit a bit still.

As I started to pedal around a bit on my P5, the first thing that jumped out to me was how smooth the bike is as a whole.  Every little bit of effort seems to go into forward movement.  There's no wasted efforts on the bike.  The Rotor 3D+ crank is a fine work of machining art (I'm waiting for the 3D+ Power Crank to come in).  You feel well connected to the bike when you're on it.  The bike feels quite a bit different from the P2.  When you're accelerating and up to speed, the bike just wants to stay there.  You can tell that the bike wants to work...and it wants to go fast.

Today was a pretty windy day.  I underestimated the winds coming across the lake.  The winds were 15-20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.  The wind coming across the lake was pretty harsh, and you definitely feel the crosswinds a lot more than I ever recall my P2.  It doesn't help that I had my Zipp 808's on it today either.  I also had those on my P2 though, so the basis of comparison is good.  The P5 is a rather large sail in a crosswind compared to that of the P2.  

The hydraulic brakes are something that will take some getting used to.  They're also super responsive.  The initial feel is a bit soft at the lever, but the braking response demands some attention.

The shifting of the SRAM Red is far superior to the Ultegra that was on the P2.  The bike shifts silently, and instantly.  The Ultegra stuff wasn't bad by any means, but the Red stuff blows it away.  Going from little ring to big ring and the other way around was super smooth.

The gearing is a bit different from what I'm used to having a 52/36 instead of the typical compact 50/34.  It's not necessarily bad, just have to adjust gearing a bit.

The bike is going to need some tweaks as far as fit goes.  Despite being set up like my P2, I feel like the aero bars are a bit stretched out.  I'm going to pull them in just a bit until it feels more natural for me.  Also, the downside is that there's no good way to mount a computer on this bike.  It doesn't have a traditional steering stem to put a mount on.  Ideally I will find a mount that will go between the two aero bars in front of the rear facing torpedo bottle.  I have a Speedfil A2 for it.  I just have to come up with a good way to secure the straw when it's not in use.  I'm going to look into a couple of rare earth magnets that I can secure to the cage/straw to hold it down and out of the way when it's not in use.

All in all, despite my lack of cycling recently I'm happy with the bike.  I think it'll be a phenomenal bike to race on this year and will only get better as I get my cycling fitness back into form and get the bike dialed.  With warmer weather approaching the rides will get more frequent and I'll start to collect some miles.  

Shane

2013-02-21 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4632397

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Subject: RE: Some initial thoughts about my first ride on the Cervelo P5-Six

Shane---congratulations on such a nice new ride sir.

Please let us see herSmile

Edited by spearit 2013-02-21 7:05 PM
2013-02-21 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4632418

User image

New user

Thanks!  I think I'm going to love riding this bike.  I'm looking forward to actually training with power this year when I add the Rotor PM to it.

As requested, here's a pic for you...

From the build:

P5build

All done:

p5done

Shane

2013-02-21 7:53 PM

User image

Profile design universal computer mount.

Looks like you have plenty of room in front of your aerobars to mount it, but I actually put mine way up in front.  I undid the bar tape at the front of the right bar, installed the mount, then re-wrapped the tape around the mount.  Keeping it way up front allows for maximum visibility in the aero position.

2013-02-22 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Wow -- great looking ride!! 
2013-02-22 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4632466

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
tri808 - 2013-02-21 9:53 PM

Profile design universal computer mount.

Looks like you have plenty of room in front of your aerobars to mount it, but I actually put mine way up in front.  I undid the bar tape at the front of the right bar, installed the mount, then re-wrapped the tape around the mount.  Keeping it way up front allows for maximum visibility in the aero position.

+1

Or if your computer is an Edge 500/800, 310, 910 - ie. one with the quarter turn mounts, look into the Barfly TT or the Design Cycles Fliploc mounts.  

http://www.designcycles.net/products.htm

http://www.tatelabs.com/barflytt/

2013-02-22 6:43 AM

User image

New user

Thanks guys.  One of the guys over on ST actually makes a nice mount that will go right in between the aero bars.  I should have it hopefully next week.  It just mounts bar to bar.  I will post pics once I get it and have it all mounted up.

Having the computer but having it turned sideways making it so it can't be read kind of defeated the purpose of having it.  And I'm a numbers guy.  I can estimate my cadence and such, but seeing the numbers keeps me honest.  And since this will be my first year training and racing with power, I definitely want to see the info and not just review it at the end.

Shane

2013-02-22 7:23 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
It is interesting what you say about the SRAM Red shifting silently.......it is smooth, but my experience is that it has a very unique "clunk" sound when shifting.  Personally, I love it.  I think it makes me sound fast!!!!
2013-02-22 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Glad to see your new wheels came in.  When you are looking to upgrade again just drop me a line, Wink
2013-02-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4632766

User image

firemedic001918 - 2013-02-22 2:43 AM

Thanks guys.  One of the guys over on ST actually makes a nice mount that will go right in between the aero bars.  I should have it hopefully next week.  It just mounts bar to bar.  I will post pics once I get it and have it all mounted up.

Having the computer but having it turned sideways making it so it can't be read kind of defeated the purpose of having it.  And I'm a numbers guy.  I can estimate my cadence and such, but seeing the numbers keeps me honest.  And since this will be my first year training and racing with power, I definitely want to see the info and not just review it at the end.

Shane

Both products arend linked above or the product I mentioned allows you to view your computer the right way.  But homemade mounts are just as good.  Lots of people just use a small piece of PVC that is cut specifically to fit snug between their bars, then they just drill two holes so that a zip tie can secure them to each bar.

2013-02-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4633063

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Like tri808 said:  Profile Design computer mount.  $10.

Edited by spearit 2013-02-23 1:32 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some initial thoughts about my first ride on the Cervelo P5-Six Rss Feed