Ram Racing
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Finally, race day is here!!! Shea (my 10-year-old daughter) chose this race when she heard about chocolate at the end. She's run a 5K and a 10K and saw no reason to run another 5K. She wanted to do the 15K. I dragged my feet entering the race, thinking she'd back out, but she never did. When I told her how I would try to train her and what it would entail, she was committed. So I threw down the entry fee and we got to work.

We build up the long runs every week, hoping to run 8 miles last Sunday. However, she had a horrible head cold and was not 100%. We ran "long" at 6.5 miles and that was all she could muster. She didn't get in any short runs this week, but did have three lacrosse practices and a basketball practice, and she spent much of yesterday at the park kicking around a soccer ball. There was an A-List sleepover last night, to which she was invited, and which she very maturely left at 9:15pm -- with good-luck wishes from the girls. That was a tough party to leave when you're 10...

5:30am came early, but Shea embraced it. We had set out everything the night before, so we got dressed, both ate granola w/soy milk, and were on our way. We arrived in time to fight traffic, find (free) street parking, get our bibs pinned on, hit the bathrooms, hang out, run into a college friend of mine, check gear, and hit the start line. We were in a designated corral and it was COLD!!! It was about 38 degrees and the wind was blowing and, brrrrrr. Poor thing just was freezing and I just hugged her and rubbed her and promised she'd warm up as we ran. It felt like we'd never begin!!!
Event warmup:

Stomped our feet, wiggled our legs, hugged, and inched our way up as the corrals moved forward.
Run
  • 1h 39m 30s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Shea and I do run/walk for our runs. She wanted to go easy today, like 4/1. I wanted to push her today, like 6/1. We split the difference and settled on 5/1. Because most of the first mile was downhill, we skipped our first few walk breaks and waited until we were climbing to start in on the 5/1. We held to the 5/1 pretty steady, but would skip a break if we were heading down and then take it when we started to climb.

The first 5 miles flew by and we were having a blast!! Shea felt strong, we were just happy and enjoying the day. Around 3-4 miles, we were climbing and the opposite way the leaders were coming downhill and cruising. Super fun to cheer them on. Then we'd pick women to cheer on and yell out the men they needed to catch ("Pink-shirt, go get that man in the red hat, don't let him beat you!!!") That was really fun to see people come alive and smile.

We chatted (loudly) as we are want to do. On the climbs, I'd be using mantras to keep Shea positive, and more than once someone else thanked us for the mantras and the help getting them up the hills. A few people gave Shea props and high fives, which was sweet.

Hitting 10K was fun (mentally we talked about running 3x5Ks), but Shea was dragging. I fed her Honey Stinger Chews frequently starting around mile 3. Her feet hurt, she wanted walk breaks even if we were going downhill. It was hard for her. Around 7 miles, I gave her pep talks about pushing and not leaving anything out on the course. Dig deep, ask if you can give more, and if you can, do. I'd give her the neighborhood equivalents of our remaining distance ("It's just like running home from the traffic light at Dairy Queen... piece of cake!!").

People were encouraging her, I was giving her the old "22 minutes to go! We can do anything for 22 minutes!!" speeches now and again. At 8.2 miles I told her we had 1.1 to go. I told her I was going to be mean and allow her just one more walk break (we still had some downhill). I told her she could choose when to take it, but she only got one. At .9 to go, she said, "Mom, can we take advantage of this downhill and get some free speed?" I said sure. So she goosed up the pace. And kept goosing it... I thought when we hit some uphill she'd grab one more walk break, but she never did. The closer we got to the end, the faster she went. It was getting harder to stay with her!! She was passing people like crazy, darting in and out, not paying attention to me (good!), just running like mad. I saw her teachers at the end (3 of 'em) -- Shea ran so fast they spotted me but she had already passed them, LOL!!! Last .37 miles, my Garmin clocked 7:45 pace. Yowza!! Mile 9 was a 9:39, so she was moving there too. Good grief! Loved it!! She was sooooooo proud at the end!! I was so proud too! What a gift of a day!!!
What would you do differently?:

If had my druthers, I would have had Shea running more mid-week miles, but it's so hard with her sports and school and life, and I never wanted to MAKE her run -- it had to come from her. So really, who cares -- I wanted her to be able to finish this race, not get injured and to have fun doing it. Mission accomplished.
Post race
Warm down:

We met up with her teachers (two current 5th-grade teachers, and her last year's 4th-grade teacher) for hugs, photos, congrats, etc. Then it was time for chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We got our mugs with hot chocolate, and chocolate fondue with a giant marshmallow, banana, wafer cookies, rice krispy treat, and pretzels for dipping. YUM!!! Ate that up, then did some shopping, then had a Dick's cheeseburger (and strawberry shake for Shea) that was right across from where we parked. Good recovery eats!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Event comments:

A well-run race! Super organized, everything on time, fun location. Shea needs more water than every 2 miles, but I carried a bottle so she was covered. No worries. We had a blast and I would totally do this race again. Great sweatshirt swag, too!!!

Last updated: 2013-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:30 | 9.32 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 900+ feet of elevation gain!!! Started off with a gradual downhill, then short up and some flat, then couple of gradual and LONG (mile+) climbs, with a little downhill here and there. Nice downhills after 10K, but finish with the last 1/2 mile climbing up again!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-03-03 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Hot Chocolate 15k - Seattle

2013-03-03 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4644438

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: Hot Chocolate 15k - Seattle
First! Congrats to you and your beautiful Shea! Sounds like a great time for you both, and so wonderful to see that smile of hers wrapped in melted chocolate! Kudos, Runnergirls!
2013-03-03 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
What a great memory for the two of you!!!!!  Congratulations to you for pushing her and to her for exceeding expectations!  Perfect.
2013-03-03 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
congrats glad to hear you both did well. I want my daughter to do races and stuff with me as well. I guess i will have to get some pointers from you
2013-03-03 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Congrats to both of you - sounds like you had a great time.
2013-03-03 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Congrats on a great memory!  I hope to run like that with my son one day.  Wish I had run that race here after seeing the shirts.

2013-03-03 6:38 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Very good.
2013-03-03 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4644636

User image

Hooray for Shea!!! What an amazing accomplishment!
2013-03-04 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
What a race, what a girl, what a mom, WHAT A MEMORY!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hot Chocolate 15k - Seattle Rss Feed