Trievents
31C / 88F
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 29s
Overall Rank = 293/557
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 96/177
Pre-race routine:

My first triathlon in 2 years! I have a 3 month old baby and an almost 3 year old toddler so I chose a really short distance. I managed to do a decent amount of training until 2 weeks before the event, when my baby stopped sleeping as well and we all got head colds, so there was minimal training in this time. Wasn't really looking fwd to the race because throat was like razor blades in the 2 days leading up to the event and I felt under-prepared.

Registered the day before. Packed the night before. Was pleased my trisuit still fit!!! Decided it was too warm & too short a race to bother with wet suit. Set alarm for 5.30am. Sybil woke at 5.28am needing a feed. Had also wet through her nappy & bed clothes so needed a complete change. Jacob also woke up in a coughing fit and needed to be settled back down. By the time I was done with them both, it was 6.15am and transition closed at 6.45am! Luckily I only live 5-10 mins drive from the venue. I made myself a coffee and PB + honey sandwich (my favourite pre-race meal!) and raced out the door. Parking was a b*tch and I got to transition with minutes to spare, luckily lots of other girls were also running late so it remained open for at least another 20-30 mins!

Racked my bike, stood in line for the toilets which took forever and then only had 25 mins before my wave went off and I realised I hadn't eaten my breakfast yet - oops. Ate it and it sat heavy in my stomach for the rest of the race :(
Event warmup:

Swam in the ocean for 5-10 mins before my wave went off. Realised I'd forgotten to get body marked and hoped no one would notice!!! ;)
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim. Positioned myself at the back as I usually do, I'm a confident swimmer but I'm slow. Should have remembered this was a novice women's race and gone to the front - I spent the first 100m swimming past everyone! It was like a washing machine but I'm used to that. Navigation was spot-on, swam strong, breathed well, felt great, exited strong. Mum had come over to tend to Sybil, and Sef had brought Jacob down to watch me, I high-fived him on the way out of the water!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The usual.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 21m 44s
  • 7 kms
  • 19.33 km/hr
Comments:

Time includes T1 & T2. One loop out and back. Dry road, some wind, a few undulating hills. Rode well and passed lots of girls - but there were a lot of non-roadbikes out there! Used aero a lot. Drank some Gatorade but shouldn't have bothered because it was such a short race and it just added to the weight of the undigested breakfast sloshing around in my stomach.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

All good except I ran along the wrong set of racks - had to double back to find my spot! Waved to Sef & Jacob.

Pay more attention! :)
Run
  • 21m 50s
  • 3 kms
  • 07m 17s  min/km
Comments:

So this is where my cold & lack of adequate training caught up with me, had no energy, really struggled, it was starting to get hot and my breakfast was sloshing around, it wasn't fun but of course I finished :)

Eat breakfast earlier. Can't do much about the children & illness interupting my training regime!!! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Gave Jacob a big kiss in the finishing chute. Drank some electrolyte water on offer but didn't need the fruit on offer (still digesting breakfast LOL). Found Sef & Jacob. Chatted to a friend waiting for transition to open. Got my bike and went home to relieve my mum and feed my daughter! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recent pregnancy, raising baby from said pregnancy, illness :)

Event comments:

I was just really glad to be out there :)

Last updated: 2013-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 300 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 31/177
Overall: 116/557
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:21:44 | 07 kms | 19.33 km/hr
Age Group: 62/177
Overall: 194/557
Wind: Some
Course: Out & back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:50 | 03 kms | 07m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 132/177
Overall: 408/557
Performance: Below average
Course: Out & back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-03-07 12:52 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Sunsmart Women's Triathlon

2013-03-07 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4649615

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sunsmart Women's Triathlon
Magda! Awesome job! You did really well for your first tri in 3 years with the need to be very very flexible now! You rock!
2013-03-13 6:24 AM
in reply to: #4649615

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Sunsmart Women's Triathlon
Magda!Welcome back!! What a great start to your tri-career part 2!Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunsmart Women's Triathlon Rss Feed