AA Sports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = M 30-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Staged T1 on Friday, so race morning was just to set up T1 and catch a bus to the lake.
Event warmup:

Alas, our ride dropped us off at the marathon start instead, so we had to jog, with gear, the 1/2 mi to T2. Missed the 7:45 bus, but caught the 8:00. Got to T1, pumped up the tires, hit the potty, got the neoprene on, and hit the water with 5 min to spare. No worries.
Swim
  • 40m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim for me, but I never got my breathing right. I've been working on BL3, but I find I have to fall back on left-only during the starting pandemonium. Last race (2.4 mi), it took me about 1 mile before I could swap back to BL3, but this race I never did. I was breathing too hard, and couldn't slow down my HR or breathing enough to swim smoothly.

Still, improved by 2 min over previous best, and more so if the course was long.
What would you do differently?:

Work on switching from left-only (sprinting) to Bi-lateral. Need to be able to calm my breathing/hr while swimming.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

Actual transition was about 4:30. I was doing this race with a friend, and waited at his bike for about a minute before heading out.

Nutrition side, everything worked great. Had a few sips of Perpetuem, but didn't overdo the stomach. Good.

Decide what to do beforehand. He's a faster swimmer, so I figured to catch him on the bike. But, this was his first tri, so he had a hard swim. It's hard to bike near each other, anyway, so best plan was probably to meet in T2.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 49s
  • 58 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride for me. I held back, waiting for my friend for the first 10 miles or so, which cost me 3-4 minutes, but then decided to meet him at T2, and went for it. Knowing I had the downhill, I figured I could push pretty hard the first half, and stil recover for the run. I started passing lots of people in the mi 20-25 rollers. It was funny, though, I'm a climber, so I passed a bunch of people (on NICE bike) on the ups, and then they passed me on the downs. Probably should have backed off a bit from 25-27, but I hadn't driven the course, so I wasn't sure. Oh well. Slowed a bit on the first hill, but still rode well. Odd spot was the 1 mile gradual downhill between climbs 1 and 2. I found myself plugging away at 14mph, and said to myself, "what the heck? this is DOWNhill!" Added a few gears, and was right back at 19. must've been some weird kind of entropy, since another friend doing the race had the same thing happen. Anyway, I really did well on the second hill, and passed quite a few people. The key to climbing, for me, is to just do it. Chug along, and you'll eventually get there. Third climb didn't even register. Downhills were FUN, though I would've liked another gear or two. I did very well carrying the ups and flats for the last 20 miles; I think I had the right balance of pushing to the next down, and then recovering.

This was my first course where thinking, and strategy really played a part, and I enjoyed it that way.

1) Stay with my wing-man (see T2)

2) Gearing. My tri-bike is very well suited for road racing, with a 52-42-30 up front, and a 13-26 in back. This allows lots of small modifications for high-cadence pack riding, but doesn't have many gears at the extremes. I hate using the 30 (it hurts my knees), so I was limited to 42-26 for the climbs. I'd've really like the 27 from my commuter bike, or a 39 up front (ie, 39-25), but alas. Then on the downhill, 52-13 was nowhere near enough gear. I would've liked a 53 up front, or a 12 in back, at least.

So I learned a lot about how to choose gearing for a course. This set-up was great for CaliforniaMan (lots of small rolling hills), but less than optimal for Pacific Crest. Now, if I could just tune the engine...

Bottom line, if I'm going to be riding on a triple, I need to learn how to use the 30, or else I'm giving up too many of the climbing gearns.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

This was the best I've felt going into T2, and it made for a smoother transition, which was nice. I jogged around the transition area, and both legs and stomach were great.

After I got my run gear on, I sat down to wait for my friend. (This was his first race, and my job was to help him through it. I figured to help him through the run...) So, I waited. And waited. And waited. I did find some shade for an hour, but then started hanging out near the entrance, in the HOT sun for the next hour.

Finally, he came in, on the sag wagon, carrying his bike and his (broken) chain. End of day.

Do not leave your wing man. This was not an A race for me - more like a C. My sole purpose for doing the race was to help Shervyn. I did help him get everytying set up before the race, but that's it. While in T1, it was really hard to stand at his bike, and watch everyone else go, so I went, figuring he'd catch up. But he never did. Now, I couldn't ride with him per se, but I could've helped when his chain broke at mile 34. See, he didn't realize you can take a link out and keep riding. Now, neither of us had a chain tool, but triathletes are helpful folk, and someone would've lent us one. It's not "outside support" if I give him advice and he fixes the chain, so we could've done that and kept going. Instead, I cruised on ahead, and he sat on the side of the road for an hour.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I didn't do the run. By the time Shervyn came in, there was really no point. Yeah, I could've run the 13 miles, and a few years ago I might have. But why go out and run 2 hours when my friend, pregnant wife, and son are waiting? Instead, we went and saw some airplanes.

Nothing. It was the right thing to do.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around athlete village a bit, then went to see airplanes (my son's a fanatic), had dinner, then hit the hot tub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, the DNF, obviously. I felt great in T2, though, so I was ready for my best race yet. Race strategy (hard first half, then carry the 2nd half rollers) was right on. Training was fine (I was coming off of an iron-distance a month prior, so I took it easy for a few weeks, then hammered for 2 weeks, then rested 5 days.)

Good decision making re: race, but not so good as regards Shervyn.

Event comments:

Great race. It's a whole weekend festival, with a half-rion tri and du, olympic tri and du, marathon and 1/2 mary, 5 and 10k, and a kid's race. Crazy, fun. Excellent race on a beautiful course.

Last updated: 2004-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Fuild Drive (sleeveless), plus TriSleeve
Course: 1 loop, clockwise. Description said diamond-shaped, but felt a bit lopsided. The last straightaway was pretty long. A few people said it was 100-200 yards too long, but I couldn't tell.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:00:49 | 58 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Overall: 242/
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful point-to-point. Great for testing yourself. First 27 miles are rolling hills; 3 climbs between 27 and 38; steep downhill from 38-40; gradual downhill/rolling from 40-52; flat/rolling 52-57. 1-15 was more down than up, 15-20 even, 20-27 more up than down. Then the climbs. First was ok - maybe 2 miles and a moderate grade (7%?). Followed by some downhill and flat, to mile 31. 2nd climb was tough - 3 miles starting at moderate and then getting steeper (8-10%?). Short flat, then the thrid climb. To be honest, the pavement here was glassy-smooth (as opposed to chip-seal elsewhere), so I never even noticed the third climb - just a gradual, light grade. Then came the downhill. Whee-ee-ee-e! 2 miles of steep downhill. I hit 42 before starting to wobble, so I backed off a bit. Also, ran out of gears (52-13 maxed at 35 mph), but that's probably a good thing, considering I've never gone that fast before... Next 12 miles was gradual downhill, with a few rollers back up. I really did well here, pushing through the rollers and passing lots of people. Final 5 miles was mostly flat, with some rollers, but nothing serious. Again, best plan was to push through the ups and carry the flats.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Course: Rolling hills on a nice paved bike path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-06-29 6:32 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
Subject: Pacific Crest

2004-06-30 12:11 AM
in reply to: #34403

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest
Man what a weekend.  I say great race, even with the DNF.  See I would be your friend on the side of the road, I didn't know you could take a link out of the chain either.  You did the right thing, just make sure to get Shervyn back out for another race.  I like your strategy comments.  I look forward to the day I can use some race planning/strategy.  Right now my strategy is to finish .  Thanks for the RR.
2004-06-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: #34403

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest
Great job, despite the DNF. Congratulations!

Kelly
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Rss Feed