General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Competitor Group
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ugh. Windy, cold day. VERY WINDY. Which made it cold. Yuck. Had to run with tri shorts, pants, two tops, a jacket, gloves, and a hat. I hate having to wear so many clothes to run.

Run
  • 2h 30m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure what to expect. I can't say I was really trained for it. Just figured I'd go out and see how it went. I know I can always go slower and keep going. While I don't have speed, I do have endurance and the ability to suck it up, when I want to.

Didn't run by pace or HR. Just ran by feel. My goal was to keep it nice and easy, then pick it up the last 3 miles if I was feeling it.

Felt tired and sluggish the first 2-3 miles. Just wasn't feeling great. Then I settled in and felt better. Left foot starting hurting pretty bad and I was getting worried it might keep me from running. I didn't want to walk and take longer to finish, so I told myself to keep running. The foot pain started to feel better. That was good. Probably felt the best around miles 7/8. Mile 9 wasn't too bad, but the pain was starting to set in. My knees were hurting, hips, right quad, Achilles tendons on both legs, and left foot wasn't 100%.

Tried to push it the last 3 miles, but at that point I was just happy to still be running. It was all I could do to keep running. Thank goodness the last 3 miles were pretty much downhill with a tailwind. Was happy to see my time was pretty much the same as Cowtown. I think I may have gone slightly faster, but this course wasn't as challenging, and there were a fair amount of downhill sections.
Post race
Event comments:

This was a well run show. I thought being shuttled from Fair Park over to downtown Dallas would be a nightmare (most of the time shuttle situations are). But it wasn't! That was nice! Plenty of aid stations and volunteers. Easy to walk around after the race (it wasn't after Cowtown). The course was fine. Pretty cool running downtown Dallas on roads I have only driven on. With all of that said, I don't get why this race is so much money. Sure, there are bands, but there weren't anymore bands than what Cowtown had. Paying $100-$150 for a half marathon is ridiculous. Luckily I got some discounts and paid $80 back in December. While it was a nice race, I didn't see anything that made it that much more "WOW" than say, the Cowtown or Dallas Marathon (even both of those races gave "finisher" t-shirts). Would I do it again? Sure. But I wouldn't pay full price. No way. Nice race, but not worth $100-$150.

Last updated: 2012-12-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:16 | 13.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]