Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Is anyone from Taipei? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-25 2:06 AM

User image

Yang Min Shan, T'ai-pei
Subject: Is anyone from Taipei?
I will be moving there over the summer and don't want to miss a beat in my training.  Are there any clubs or training groups in the city?

2013-03-28 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4672916

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Is anyone from Taipei?
Sorry I can't offer many concrete suggestions but I do think you will find good places to train there. I lived in Taipei for a year in the early 90's and even then there was an active running and biking scene. There were several Hash House Harriers groups; one was led by an ultra marathoner (I've heard he's still there--hash name is Vulture--and we always got out to the country for long runs that could go on and on and on.....I think the record was twelve hours on the trail! There is beautiful road and trail running up in Yangmingshan National Park. I moved out to just below the park entrance so I could run there every morning. There are several back roads up from the valley to the park that make for amazing runs. There was also a group of mostly local runners that met every Sunday up at Zhuzihu (Bamboo Lake) high up in the park for a road run, hot spring soak, and lunch. Don't know if this is still going on but no doubt there are plenty of groups. Lots of run races and I know there's a HIM in late fall, down south. You could also bike in the park.The are plenty of pools so you should be able to find somewhere to train. Northern beaches aren't the greatest and there are jellyfish--my phobia of them dates from a very painful sting by a big one in Taiwan! the beaches in the south near Kenting are much nicer.if you are living in the central area then training during the work week might be a challenge. There are some big city parks that serve for running, and you could bring a bike trainer, maybe join a gym for weights and pool. You just need to do some research online and once you get there--I'm sure you can keep up your training and find some like-minded people to do it with.
2016-10-31 10:54 PM
in reply to: TK

User image

I'm living in Taipei.

I have friends of all levels living here (both locals and expats like me).

I think the OP is quite dated, but in case there is anybody else here, please feel to reach out with a PM or answer to this thread.
2019-07-16 12:15 AM
in reply to: Trilogy

Hey there. i'm in Taipei and i'd like to get back into Tri's. Where in Taiwan are you?

New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Is anyone from Taipei? Rss Feed