www.redhillstriathlon.org
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50 - 54 M
Age Group Rank = 14/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had some coffee, jack 3d pre-workout mix and toast and P-nut butter. Stretched, loaded the truck up. I have been having lots of issues with stomach post race, this race was good.
Event warmup:

Had a long walk w/ the bike to the race start. I've got to get a backpack for my gear. Just hung around and talked and put on wetsuit. When they asked everyone to head to the water I walked down and put some water in my wetsuit(it was COLD) per advice from the Junkies mentor group. Junkies said it would warm up and it did.
Swim
  • 19m 25s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was DFL in my age group for the swim. Since the water was so cold I bought a wetsuit hoodie, to keep warm. I tried it out the day before but only 2 - 3 minutes. I did have a hard time getting my head in the water with it on. It just kept my head up and couldn't get my head under.

I let everyone go first since I am such a bad swimmer. I took off and did an immediate left and swam probably 30 - 40 yards off course, so I finally sighted and tried to correct but I kept going off course, no one to follow since they were all gone. I finally had to roll on my back, just could not catch my breath, it seemed like I was swimming and not going anywhere, I was not relaxed. I finally got to the 1st buoy where you make the turn to the right, I made the turn and and again took an immediate left, going off course. When I corrected that I was exhausted, I asked a kayak if I could rest for a second. Finally took off and made it to the 2nd bouy where we took a right, well by now the whole group behind me had passed me, again I had to float on my back to rest and I started again, then I found a kayak to hold onto again...I was just exhausted, so I finally took off again with only about 100 yards to go and guess what about 50 yards to go I took another detour, since I had been turning left, I over compensated and took a right for about a 20 yard detour. Finally made it in. I was exhausted, I was confused, walking like a drunk man to T-1. As matter of fact a volunter got me headed in the right direction.
What would you do differently?:

learn to swim
Transition 1
  • 05m 51s
Comments:

I was cold and confused coming out of the swim along with being so TICKED! So I went out built a fire, cooked eggs and bacon, and had a cup of coffee,well that is how long I took anyway.

Really I could not get the hoodie off, couldn't get the wetsuit over the timing chip. I decided to put on tights for the ride, long sleeve shirt, both very hard to get on. I could not stand on 1 leg w/o falling, like I said, I felt like I was drunk. Finally got the long pants on, shirt, skull cap, helmet, socks, shoes, helmet and sunglasses.

not sure how to handle the lack of coordination and confusion.
Bike
  • 56m 11s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Very hilly course. It was a big rectangle. I again took advice from the Junkies and rode the 1st part of the race hard, trying to warm up, by now it was probably 48 degrees. I was still mad from the swim and this carried over to the bike. It was a good ride but not great, I didn't push very hard, but I never got relaxed or comfortable either. The gloves were bothersome.

Ride more and harder
Transition 2
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Again very slow, but I took time to take the tight long pants off, again it got caught on the timing chip, and took my long sleeve shirt off, I had a hard time getting my shoes on. Feet were numb.
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The 1st part of the run, my feet were so COLD, I started to stop because it felt like both feet had ice wedges in my shoes but i knew they didn't so I just kept running. It took about 2.5 miles for me to start feeling my feet, the 1st 2.5 miles just hurt. This is about an average time for me. I didn't run hard and I had plenty left when I got back, as I was just warming up, or should I say thawing out.

Just run more
Post race
Warm down:

Got back and got gatorade, waited for wife to come in standing in the sun to warm. Once wife got in, we had to hurry and get to son's baseball game and we still missed the 1st inning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swimming!!!!! that messed up the whole race!

Event comments:

It was a GREAT race. I want to thank the organizers and volunteers, they were amazing. My ONLY complaint was there was not enough bike room, we had about 6 inches between bikes.

Last updated: 2013-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:25 | 656 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: nineteen full suit and a hoodie
Course: 200 yards out, turn right for 200 yards, and 200 yards in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 05:51
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:11 | 16 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/22
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rectangle course with lots of police for traffic control.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:10
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:22 | 03.1 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/22
Performance: Average
Course: part on road and part off road
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-03-31 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: Red Hills Triathlon

2013-03-31 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4680559

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Red Hills Triathlon

Sorry about the cold, frustrating swim. I know it wasn't nice of me, but I had to chuckle about the description of your swim. Maybe your mentor group can help you figure out why you kept drifting off course, always in the same direction. I am not a strong swimmer either, but I sight well and generally stay on course, but I don't know what advice to give you about it.

But that run is awesome. Very speedy, especially considering the cold feet.

Overall, I think you did a good job. Those were really cold temperatures. It's hard to keep going when you can't feel your extremities. 

2013-03-31 7:01 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nice job in some tough conditions. I suspect we were racked close to one another in transition. I think I was halfway through the run before I could feel my toes! Good luck the rest of the year!
2013-04-01 9:05 AM

User image

You crack me up, Karl - eggs and bacon in T1? haha. Great race description. You were smart to take the time to put on layers to protect you from the cold. Sorry your swim wasn't what you'd wanted - I'm glad you took the time to take a break when you needed so that you came out of the water still breathing! Sure wish I could run like you! Wow - you finished strong! Overall - good job on completing another tri. Way to go, Karl!
2013-04-02 5:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
You did great in the race!  I'm so proud that you went out there and got it done.  Lord knows, you have no padding on that body of yours so the cold affects you worse than the rest of us.  I really admire how no one passed you on either the biking or the running.  It's especially amazing since just over a year ago, you couldn't swm, couldn't bike, and barely ran.
2013-04-12 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Karl you did a great job in this race especially considering how cold it was out there and you should be proud of yourself for toughing it out and making it through the swim. We all have tough races like this where things don't always go the way we want them to but the important thing is to keep pushing through and finish. You did that and outside of the rough swim you did a great job on the bike and run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Hills Triathlon Rss Feed