Tradewinds
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M18-49 Cat 4/5
Age Group Rank = 13/35
Event warmup:

Warmed up 20 minutes on the trainer, then up and down a few times between the park and the start line.
Bike
  • 23m 34s
  • 4.45 miles
  • 11.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Finally figured out that despite the Quarq and PT numbers matching on Saturday, the PT is actually measuring 15-25 watts lower after another training ride.

I felt that I started too hard off the line. I think about 6-7 pedal strokes out of the saddle would be better suited. I had to coast through the first hairpin anyway since I was going too fast. My power after the hairpin was way up over 500, so the goal was to let it drop to 315 slowly by holding 290-300 as I let myself recover from the start. Well, turns out that 290-300 on the quarq is closer to 305-325 which means I wasn't recoverying at all...instead digging a deeper hole.

I finally settled down to around 315 on the quarq after about 5 minutes...which really meant I was around 330-345. Again...way too high and my HR showed it on the file. Naturally, I couldn't sustain it and I was holding 280-300 (pretty choppy) for the next 5 minutes. 280-290 is probably what I should have been holding given the differences in power, but not after holding 330+ the first 5 minutes.

Got to the halfway at 296w and fading fast. Again, overall power was right on track assuming I was pushing 315w in terms of the PT, but given how hard I went in the first 5 minutes, I was cooked...and I couldn't sustanin much more than 240-260 once on the flatter sections.

Mentally, I was defeated, even though in reality I could have just let myself recover for a few minutes at 220, then try to get back up to 280-290...but when my goal was 315, the "why even bother" thoughts came into play.

I also think that the weight cut, and some lack of sleep recently played a role. HR has been high for some workouts before and after the race.

This was definately a learning experience.
What would you do differently?:

1. Nothing new on race day. I would have been better off racing by RPE than trying to chase PT wattages on a quarq.

2. Get more sleep, drink more water, and don't try to cut weight the week before a race. Focus on weight loss earlier.

3. Have a better plan B and plan C. I went "all in" on power for this race since I was so excited to finally use a quarq on this course. I should have ignored power once I knew my wattage goals were out and noticed my HR was pegged.

4. Ride more miles. I'll never be able to live up to expectations on this course while still tri training.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots of stuff.

Last updated: 2013-01-24 12:00 AM
Biking
00:23:34 | 04.45 miles | 11.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
264 AP, 273 NP 182 BPM
Wind: Little
Course: Same as 2012, starting from the pole before the traffic sign to the top.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge