30F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 52s
Overall Rank = 771/1083
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 145/205
Pre-race routine:

(Overall women only)

Had the usual breakfast, etc and headed out kind of late. The area was well scouted, and the day was cold, so I wasn't going to meet my friend until 7:45 for the 8:00 start. I was worried when I tried to exit from the 35 onto University Ave and the line was backed up waaaaay onto the freeway. I could see the slow line of cars moving down University several blocks in and decided to bail. I lived in Dinkytown for one year, so I knew I could get off on Hennepin and come around the backside. I just hoped that some new construction (campus has changed so much!) wouldn't impede me. It turned out to be the best decision and was free and clear to pull into the parking lot.

I parked quickly and jogged to the bag drop, did that, and lined up with the 10:00 pace group with my friend.
Event warmup:

The tiny bit of jogging we did to get from the car, and around the fence to the finish line, was more than I could usually hope for.
Run
  • 1h 43m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I signed up for this because I am a U of MN Alumna and liked the idea of running through campus, and also going into the new TCF Bank Stadium. I ran with my friend from work who I run with all the time.

We lost the 10 mile pace person right away, literally couldn't even see her. The first big hill in Mile 2 had me thinking I was really dumb.
It's unusual for me, but I didn't scrutinize the map enough to realize the number of large hills. I run on the river all the time, but not this section and was surprised! Well, there went the time goals. For a few miles in the middle the 10:00 pace was easier to come by, although I never imagined the 10 min pace would be hard. That was going to be my "easy and then turn it up near the end" pace. They had a mat at mile 5 since there was a relay and my pace was 10:15 at that point.

After crossing the river, and heading toward downtown, I did know there were some hills. I trotted up a few but had to finally take a walk break near the Washington Ave bridge. We did an out/back here and running back down that hill was great!

More hills to get back onto the bridge, and then out of the river valley onto campus. Here I seriously considered telling my friend to just leave me for dead, it was over for me. I kept running though, with one more walk break (to get up that last hill) and then we settled back into a quick pace on the flats. We wiggled through campus and so much was unfamiliar. The time passed with reminiscences from both of us.

We were so glad to see "The Bank" and I even spotted Goldy and went in for a high 5 (missed, ugh!). Then we realized we had to run 3/4 of the way around the backside of the stadium to get to the entrance for the finish line. The funny thing is we spent (too) many nights running at the Dome this winter and it was great practice for that. Super flat with a slight lean to go around the circle. When we saw the last turn we were elated! The warmth and the tiny downhill were a welcome surprise and we kicked it to the line.
What would you do differently?:

I was thinking this was my worst 10 miler ever, but it really wasn't. This was by FAR the most difficult course I've done at the distance and it wasn't my worst time actually. So, in light of that, I am pretty darn proud. I know I have only myself to blame for not getting in more hill practice this winter and being too heavy, especially for a hilly course. I joked that I wouldn't be dumb enough to try this again, but I might consider it next year if I want to dedicate the training to do it well. It would be a good challenge for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Everything was outside, we were sweaty, and it was 33ish degrees. So, we grabbed food and hightailed it back to the car. I had a jacket, SO GLAD. My friend did not, which I told her was a bad mistake and never again ;) Bad check was exceedingly easy at this race, so I am glad I did that.

Event comments:

The only negative was the water stops were off from the map. The map clearly showed one at miles 1/8 but it was missing. There was a stop at 2, so I got some water then, and the last stop was by itself at 9. That's kind of a dumb place for a water stop in a 10 mile race, sorry. I had my gel schedule planned out, which is why I really care. I am going to mention this to the organizers. Otherwise, for the things they could control, the race was very nice.

Last updated: 2013-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:52 | 10 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/205
Overall: 0/1083
Performance: Average
Course: We ran down University Ave, left into campus to get onto the river road. We ran on the East side of the river to Marshall (one big hill in that stretch, a few rollers), and crossed the bridge. The stretch from Marshall back to campus had a few good hills, one that we had to do out/back on. Yuck! Then we turned up after going under the Washington Ave bridge (several times on that portion) on a road that ends up behind the Riverside Towers and the Law School. This got us onto the "Northern Pacific Bridge Number 9", which is a pedestrian only bridge. Finally the home stretch, sort of. We wound on a scenic route through campus and back to the TCF Bank stadium. The last bit had us run 3/4 the way around the back of the stadium and then ran in, right onto center field.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-04-14 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Goldy's Run

2013-04-14 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4699496

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Goldy's Run
I drove across the lake/Marshall bridge yesterday morning and saw the runners. I thought to myself it looked cold and wet. I am guessing it was not to bad, once you got moving. That course is very hilly. Way to push through
2013-04-18 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4699496

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Goldy's Run
Great race!  A course or conditions can sometimes dictate a change to your expected pace, but you dealt well with it and turned in your best performance for the distance.  Super job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Goldy's Run Rss Feed