Age Group Rank = 1/4
Event warmup:

did some light jogging and active stretching
Swim
  • 34m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I hated this swim's performance. The first buoy was alright, but afterwards it was just off course the whole way to the finish. There were buoys ALWAYS on the horizon and because of the time trial start there were no people to gauge where I was going, because they were everywhere. There were a few different colored buoys but the race announcer wasn't finite in which color buoy we should go to after which turn, and the kayakers were relatively thinned out by the time my wave went (looking for the drowning swimmers not the lost ones). As a result, I added on roughly 300 meters to the total course. That took a serious hit on my time and my motivation to go faster in the water. If I could do the course again I really do believe I could get out in 26 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

I looked at the entire course map and knew it like the back of my hand, but it was just very disorienting. Rounding the buoys was smooth and almost flawless, however afterwards the direction to go wasn't absolute.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I messed up the flying mount at my sprint tris two weeks ago so I didn't want to attempt anything that would mess up my mojo today on a race where transitions aren't nearly as important as in sprints; so however still important, I put my shoes on before running out of transition and made use of a wetsuit stripper before actually entering the transition area.

I need to practice fast transitions more. I was unnerved from two weeks ago so played it safe today. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better.
Bike
  • 2h 35m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Nutrition was nailed perfectly, however I'm not sure how well it translated into the run. I didn't feel anything on the bike so I thought it was pretty good.

I found a gear that I felt comfortable pushing at "comfortably hard" and went one gear easier, and kept that pace and effort level. It worked well and I didn't fade at the end.

I feel I executed the race pretty well, however in training I would like to have done my long rides much harder. The duration was fine, since my long rides went to about 75 miles at their peak. I pushed my body to a new limit on this race and found my red-line zone.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I thought that the dismount line was about a block earlier than it really was so I put my feet on top of my shoes much earlier than I needed to. It wasn't much of a big issue because most of the last block was turning and slowing down (downhill), but it was a small detail.
Run
  • 1h 49m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I had severe gastrointestinal pain for the first four miles, then it died down. The muscle right above my kneecap in both knees was locking up from start to finish and only getting progressively worse; it locked at about mile 6 and I stretched for about ten seconds and pushed onward. My left foot had severe pain on the plantar fascia and another ligament that runs from the outside of the left toe down to the arch.

It was excruciating and mentally, very difficult to push the pace. The first four miles were right on target at 7:50 min/mi and I was feeling very strong minus the GI pain, and thought I could cruise at this pace without any severe exertion then "let loose" at the last 5k and finish in 4:50. After the third aid station at about mile 4 the race just went to hell.

Normally in training I've done 14 mile runs at about a 7:45-7:50 pace without too much exertion so was hoping for that pace to be the run pace. It didn't work. I ran from aid station to aid station and walked the whole station grabbing ice sponges, ironman PERFORM, water and a GU at miles 2, 5, 7 and 10.

The past three weeks weren't ideal in terms of training. The previous weekend there was a field training exercise with little to no sleep and land navigation in HOT weather that lasted several hours, among training lanes. I think this is where my feet injuries came from as the issued boots from ROTC are several years old and broken in to someone else's foot.

I needed longer long runs in training. Longer brick sessions as well. Mile 4 is where I fell apart. Oddly enough, my longest brick was 60mi bike 4 mile run, though even at an easier effort.
Post race
Warm down:

I pushed my legs through so much pain the last 3 miles that I got talked into getting iced down at the medical tent and very gentle stretching in the cold. Re-hydrated and had some fruit. It took about thirty minutes before I could finally stumble around and get my change of clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The three weeks leading up to the race were horrible as far as a proper taper. Race conditions were almost ideal. Mentally I was strong. I believe the time to be shaved will come from better training.

Event comments:

My goal of 4:45 was hampered by getting lost on the swim course and my secondary "satisfied" goal of 5:00 fell apart due to poor run performance. Any easier on the bike and I would have felt lazy, but considering my average pace was an 8:20 min/mi even with walking the aid stations, I feel a standalone half marathon could have been finished in 1:38, so time shaved would be under fifteen minutes from the run while eight to ten minutes would have been gained on the bike. A net difference would have been plus or minus five minutes

Last updated: 2013-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:06 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 206/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Equip
Course: Zig-zag course, a modified "M".
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:35:34 | 56 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Overall: 159/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: It was pretty much an out and back with a smaller out and back perpendicular to the course to get the 56 miles. It was fighting a headwind the entire time going out with mostly a tailwind coming back. Averaged 20mph going out (on the stopwatch) and stopped calculating on the way back, just took it at a slightly easier effort since there was a tailwind and the gains were going to be minimal for harder efforts.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:49:10 | 13.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 325/
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling slopes, but pretty flat. Compared to where I run and live though it was hilly. Roads were smooth and the parks we ran through very nice. Aid stations were every mile and well stocked even though I was in one of the last waves to go out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-23 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2013-04-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4711520

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Great job, again, Paul.

Don't be too down on your run (for reasons other than it was a really, really solid run!).  They say that you can expect your run off the bike to be about 10% slower than your standalone time... so, if you're training runs were in the 7:45-7:50 range, your overall pace is actually kinda right on target, if not a bit faster than that 10% rule of thumb.

Great job, and congrats on the podium finish!

Edited by cgregg 2013-04-23 2:05 PM
2013-04-23 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4712017

User image

Expert
McAllen
Haha thanks for the encouragement. it was a learning race and I'm happy with the race, but just wishing the run felt stronger haha. I'm happy with the race! There's just always room to improve
2013-04-23 2:30 PM

Expert
Awesomeness dude! Very proud of your efforts and time! Just curious, if your swim would have gone as planned, would you have made the podium? Anyway, again, congrats.
2013-04-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4712077

User image

Expert
McAllen
Combining my AG with the 20-24, yes I would have. The difference in time between 3rd place and myself was really small.
2013-04-23 2:51 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
This was your first, HIM, right? Congrats! I'm hardly an expert, but I think, through training and more racing, you will learn what you are willing to give up on the bike to maximize your run. Sounds like you have a long tri career ahead of you. Again, congrats.

2013-04-23 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Fantastic effort! I'm just glad you didn't mow me down in the water. Every race is a learning experience. Keep collecting little tidbits of knowledge as you go along and perfect your plan.
2013-04-23 7:30 PM

User image

Solid effort.  You'll make a lot of progress on your next HIM now that you have a better idea of what to expect.

Was there actually a 19 and under division?  Were you eligible for a vegas slot?

2013-04-23 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4712561

User image

Expert
McAllen
tri808 - 2013-04-23 7:30 PM

Solid effort.  You'll make a lot of progress on your next HIM now that you have a better idea of what to expect.

Was there actually a 19 and under division?  Were you eligible for a vegas slot?

Yes there was a 19&U division. I got a nice big medal for it but felt undeserved because the comp pool was so small haha. Combining it with the next one up put me in 4th. It made me eligible for Vegas.

2013-04-25 9:54 AM

Master
Northern IL
Nice job Paul! It may not have felt it, but this is a really good start.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed