Marathon of the North
11C / 52F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 3s
Overall Rank = 480/808
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 121/325
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night dreaming about my pacing plan. Woke up feeling a bit like I'd been running all night.

Made porridge for breakfast, but was struggling to get it down so took it in the car. Managed to eat it all and then drank a bottle of high5 before the race.
Event warmup:

The event information said they'd be leading a warm up 20min before the start. That failed to happen, so the warm up landed up being the first two miles of the race (which I'd planned to take easily anyway).
Run
  • 1h 56m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I had two goals for this race: 1) get under 2hrs for the first time, 2) try not to wreck myself for the rest of my training.

My pacing plan was fairly conservative to try to ensure I could achieve both goals. According to my Vdot I should be running 8.37/mile, but that would have left me ruined, so I decided to aim for 9min/mile which gave me a margin for error, while not killing myself at the same time.

I planned to take the first two miles at 9.20/mile to allow for a warm up period. The first mile was very congested while everyone spread out over the course and it was also incredibly windy. The wind had me worried that I wouldn't hit my target, but although there were some very strong gusts at times, the course was largely sheltered, so it didn't have the impact it could have done.

I was told that this course was flat, which isn't entirely accurate. I'd say more "undulating". There were no steep hills, but there were a lot of steady up and downs.

After the first two miles I tried to stick to my 9min/mile pace as closely as possible, allowing for the terrain. I felt really good and relaxed, and was surprised at how easy the pace felt. Once I got to the half way point I tried to pick the pace up a little. Mile 10 was slow because it was quite hilly.

I got to about 10.5 miles feeling pretty good and then it started to get a little harder. My legs pointed out to me that they had been working harder than they're used to. Fortunately I only had 2.5 miles to go, so mind won over body and I managed to keep the pace up. The last mile was at 8.28/mile pace, which I was pretty happy with.

Overall I managed a negative split and beat my previous best by 9.5 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Drink less before. I needed to pee all the way round, which was distracting!
Post race
Warm down:

They had free massages at the end, but the queue was massive and I was getting cold, so I skipped that. The Stadium of Light is next to Sunderland Aquatic Centre, so I went for a swim to cool down. It was a really good decision as I was starting to really stiffen up and the swim loosened me up nicely.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't push myself as hard as I could have because of goal #2. I was really pleased that I got such a good time and felt comfortable for most of the race. I could probably take a couple of minutes off if I really pushed it harder, but for what I wanted to achieve on this occasion it was spot on.

Event comments:

The Marathon of the North was new last year. This year they added the half. There's also a relay and a 10k run, so it's a good selection. I'm not sure I'd want to do the marathon - with a small field I'd be running on my own a lot, but the half had a good number of people (not too many, not too few). It was well organised, with everything running to time, and it was chip timed which is always good. Overall a good event, and I'd definitely consider doing it again.

Last updated: 2013-03-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:03 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 121/325
Overall: 480/808
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304509907
Course: Starts and finishes at the Stadium of Light. South over the Monkwearmouth bridge to lots of loops with sections where both directions were on the same road. It was a good opportunity to look out for people I knew going the other way. The half marathon is the first half of the marathon course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-28 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: Half Marathon of the North

2013-04-28 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4717810

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Half Marathon of the North
Hit your goals and a negative split to boot, congrats! I love swimming after a long run, it seems to aid in recovery.
2013-04-28 4:11 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Way to go!  Good job on your goals and your PR
2013-04-28 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Way to crush your goal and get a HUGE PR in the process!!!!  Nicely done.
2013-04-29 5:07 AM
in reply to: #4718196

User image

Expert
Congratulations on breaking 2 hours, meeting your goals and the big PR! Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Marathon of the North Rss Feed