Finalstretch Inc.
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 8s
Overall Rank = 17/184
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

I was picking up Carolyn at 6:55. Woke up at 5:05 and was able to get back to sleep. Woke up at 6:15, alarm was supposed to be set for 5:50. I had everything packed but not loaded. I was able to get to her house on time. Small bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios at home, banana on way up. Part of a energy bar and some Powerade on drive as well.

Event warmup:

Found transition spot, got situated, picked up packet and got body marked. Short run with sweats, short ride, then another short run with some strides closer to race.

I wore my one piece tri suit with a short sleeve compression shirt underneath and biking arm warmers.

Pre-race kiss from Sonia (subbing for Barb) must have been the key
Run
  • 12m 44s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I was targeting 6:45 for the 1st run and try to stay under 7:00 for the 2nd. I went out a little fast but felt fine. A 56 yr old passed me around .75 in and I hung with him. My Garmin had 1st mile about 6:30. I passed him with about .33 to go and stayed in front of him.
What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Just a tad trouble getting my helmet strap snapped. Need to remember to check this a couple of times pre-race.

Check helmet
Bike
  • 36m 37s
  • 14 miles
  • 22.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I was 20th at the turnaround. I was passed by someone in a Gear West kit who said Good job Mike. I caught him back and found out he was Jeff Gilmer, the only guy to outkick me in a race, up at Graniteman. We leap frogged a few times but I was ahead going into T2.

I left my Garmin on my wrist and did not switch views so I was seeing only elapsed time. I decided to just go hard by feel.

I went hard on the bike, could have gone harder if it was a TT. Felt pretty comfortable in aero for only my 2nd outside ride. Made top 10 overall which had always been a goal. I think I was 15 or 16 coming off the bike.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had measured where I should get out of my shoes. Good running dismount. Got to mt T spot and my towel was soaked. The snow was melting and making TA a mess. I got into my running shoes standing up, usually I sit down. Forgot to wipe off the bottom of my foot on my first (left) foot. Took 2 tries to get right shoe on but no big time loss.

They don't list transition times seperately. T2 shows 1:38 which I saw somewhere is the combined T times but I am only missing 1:15 so that's not accurate.

Check for low area in TA to maybe avoid water.
Run
  • 20m 32s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Jeff passed me real early just after the hill. He was running steady and I didn't think I could keep up with him early. I never did gain on him, He finished 31 seconds in front of me. I think I was passed by 3 and passed 2 but not sure.

I was happy with run 2 after a hard bike. I have not done much speed work and no bricks at all. Most years I have run more at this point of the year. I ran a lot more and did the track workouts with the club last year yet my run times were better this year. My combined run times were about the same as 2010.

Post race
Warm down:

Some cramping in left hamstring but went away pretty quick. Talked quite a bit to Jeff G, Erich Heneke, Tina, Carolyn, Jim VanOosten. Changed stayed for awards. Gear West pack winner was 553 I was 535. Ate a hot dog, Cheetos, animal crackers. Ate some salami and cheese and a Dew on way back to Rochester, stopped at DAHLC to shower and went to work at Rochester Cycling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was 3:52 faster than my previous best here last year and 5:15 faster than in 2010. Biking base is paying off, maybe the TrainerRoad workouts over the winter/spring will pay dividends in 2013. I was 4:09 faster than 2nd place in M55-59. Results show 10 year AG but awards were based on standard 5 year AG.

Event comments:

Good to outside and race. 2nd time outside on tri bike (first was day before). Best weather for this race yet when I've raced.

Last updated: 2013-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:44 | 02 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 27/184
Performance: Good
Garmin distances were a little off. Avg HR - 160 1 - 6:32 - .93 - 6:43 pace
Course: A loop mainly on roads and sidewalk, a little on bike path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:36:37 | 14 miles | 22.94 mile/hr
Overall: 9/184
Avg HR - 153 Garmin had distance at 13.85
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a slight breeze with us on the way out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:32 | 03 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 26/184
Avg HR - 162 Garmin had 2.93 miles 1.00 - 7:06 2.00 - 7:06 0.93 - 6:50
Course: Through town, then out and back on Cannon Trail. This year we came back on the street with a hill close to finish rather than alongthe river on the trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-01 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Falls Duathlon

2013-05-01 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4722228

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Falls Duathlon
Great job!   Snow melting into Transition:  ridiculous.  Minnesota is crazy sometimes.
2013-05-26 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4722228

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Falls Duathlon
Damn! That's a good race for you. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Falls Duathlon Rss Feed