Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog No-Bark Collars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-04 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: Dog No-Bark Collars
After having been woken up for the 2nd morning in a row by our "little" guy (he is only 30 lbs.)...it's time to do something. ESPECIALLY because there will be issues if he wakes up baby! (Coming in a few months...augh!!)

I am not against shock collars. Some may not agree with this, but I want to find the best solution to fix the problem! However, there are also citronella collars and other types...anyone have good experience with a no-bark collar??

He is a stubborn, smart one...so I want to find something good!

2013-05-04 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4727145

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Dog No-Bark Collars

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-Premier-GentleSpray-Citronella-Anti-Bark/dp/B0002D31QU

We have 3, with 2 of them being "ambitious" barkers. I was doubting the spray being strong enough, but it works great for all 3 dogs! Even the smallest, most active barker, doesn't bark with the collar. 

From what I read, these are effective for most dogs. If not, then move up to the shock collar. That was my plan, and this way worked for us, so we didn't need the shock collar.

Now, it's not meant to be on 24-7. Neither is the shock collar. Hopefully you can use it only at night, as he'll learn to listen when you're awake! 

2013-05-04 10:49 AM

User image

I had a damnation. Y'know, the fireman's dog with spots. Eats everything including all the bark off every tree in the back yard, wood paneling inside, plastic table setting fruit, etc.

He barked if the wind blew. He barked if he saw his own tail move. He barked at the grass. He barked at the squirrels. He barked if he heard an echo of his last bark. Well, you get the idea.

That shocking no-bark collar works like a charm. Thing is, as they learn, the less it's needed. Unfortunately if I took it off him, he would go back to barking at his own shadow within a day. ALL night, ALL day. With no-bark collar he did not. Very much a night and day difference.

There are those who are going to suggest medical issues. Yes, get that checked out first. It's much better to get allergies and whatnot taken care of and that might correct the issue with nothing more needed. Unfortunately that was not the case with my noisebox.

2013-05-04 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I used the Citronella bark collar that Comet has the link to for both my Min Pins.  It only took a couple Citronella squirts to the face before they caught on.
2013-05-04 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
I used a Sport dog training collar.  It's a little different in that you control it.  It has a button for a warning tone, and a shock that you can administer for 1-5 secs.  It even has a double intensity button.  Yikes!  Have not had to use that, and after the first shock, the warning tone has been good enough.  The good thing about this, is that you can issue a verbal "no" or "Stop barking" or whatever before you give the tone or shock.  Another good thing, is that it's useful for other training issues.  My son used it to keep his dog from getting too far away during off-the-lead runs.  The downside is that you need to be present, and have the transmitter handy.
2013-05-04 9:54 PM

I had something similar to what hip described exceot our you could press a button and it would give him a shock but it would also shock if he barked no matter what. Either way it was very effective against the barking. He got 3 shocks twice because he barked the third time because he started to cry (that wasnt fair), but he was a queit dog after that. We took the shock collar after that and when he did bark all we had to do is threaten him by picking up the bark collar. I guess he got the message.

2013-05-05 2:51 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Just curious:  Are you going to put a No-Scream collar on your newborn to quiet (him/her) down?  Or are you going to take the time to learn ways to calm them down and train them appropriately?

I kinda see it as the same thing. 

2013-05-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4728054

User image

Queen BTich
Marvarnett - 2013-05-05 3:51 PM

Just curious:  Are you going to put a No-Scream collar on your newborn to quiet (him/her) down?  Or are you going to take the time to learn ways to calm them down and train them appropriately?

Not every dog can be controlled to not bark. They all have different personalities. My little one is in "guard" mode, especially if I'm not home. Despite being trained. Our hunting dog goes crazy for small animals (rabbits, squirrels, cats). 

She didn't say she was going to have it on all the time, just when the baby was sleeping. 

The collars, especially the no-harm spray ones, are an EXCELLENT training tool. If ours are even out now, they don't bark and if we put them on the dogs, we don't have to turn them on.

Maybe your dog is different, but like children, they respond differently to training.

Edit: I also don't want my dogs to never bark. I do like to be alerted if someone is on my property. I wouldn't feel comfortable if they didn't. They're dogs.

Edited by Comet 2013-05-05 3:15 PM
2013-05-05 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

I have a beagle

The spray collars started to cost a fortune in trying to keep up with the spray being used, used all kinds of sprays.

Went to a shock collar, he was literally wearing the batteries out in 6 hours.

He gets plenty of walks and exercise, now he gets brought into the house alot more. 

2013-05-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4728054

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Marvarnett - 2013-05-05 12:51 PM

Wow. You must like to take every argument to its illogical extreme. Careful of those logical leaps, you could put yourself into overtraining.

2013-05-05 11:12 PM

User image

Melon Presser

There are very few training tools and methods that I am outright against in all circumstances. Just when you think you have the moral high ground on something, along comes a dog that responds well to it and isn't the least bit harmed or less cheerful

But every dog is different, and (like others said) I like to begin with root causes and easy solutions and go from there. So in the case of an excessive or overstimulated barker, stuff like why do they bark, is it a medical reason, can they be kept away from a window or gate where they're constantly seeing stuff and barking, etc. (Lonely, not enough stimulation/exercise, blah blah blah). Quite a few dogs can be trained to bark on command and shut up on command, too.

However, some dogs are just gonna bark. (there are some people, too, who just can't seem to ever shut up Innocent) I like starting with the sound collar--it emits a high-pitched (usually two options, one hearable by humans and one not) annoying-to-dog noise whenever they bark. Usually works like a charm. Then there are the idiot dogs who LIKE IT or think it's a toy and play echo-bark games with it ...

Then citronella collar. If that doesn't work, then shock collar. The shock collars today are nothing like the ones in the past--I'm not kidding, some of them even suggest to put it on yourself and see. It's more of a gentle buzzing--annoying like an insect on your skin. Also remember that most dogs have much tougher skin on their necks. But yes, I'd go to electric collar LAST.

If someone doesn't have a lot of money, I'd go with all the easy/root type stuff first, then try the citronella as a middle resort.

2013-05-05 11:34 PM
in reply to: #4728541

User image

Elite

My dog just barks on the leash at other dogs on a leash - and it really is just excitement.  The dog trainer where we go to puppy school suggested I carry a water pistol as he had tried everything with our Scooby.

OMG it works like a charm.  He is all 'what was that, where did that come from?'.  It works so well so I know the spray collar would too, but the water pistol - $2.  Bargain.

Interestingly the lady in the dog park who brings the two guide dogs for playtime uses the remote control spray collar on one of her two charges.  This dog is a poop eater and this stops her doing that.  She only uses it for that and it's only at playtime.

2013-05-06 1:21 AM
in reply to: #4728553

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
We were looking at the citronella collar last week but were balking about the cost of the thing. The sales woman at Petco showed us a can of compressed air ($10) that has worked like a charm. It's like the compressed air you buy for your computer, but more of a blast.

When they bark, you spray it, not at them, just near them. It startles (distracts) them and they quit. In less than 2 days, all I had to do was bring it with me. If they saw that I had it, they were ANGELS. Less than a week later, the barking has nearly ceased and I dont even have to carry it anymore. It's fabulous!

Way better than spending $100 if you don't have to.
2013-05-06 6:46 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

TriAya - 2013-05-05  9:12 PM

<p>There are very few training tools and methods that I am outright against in all circumstances. Just when you think you have the moral high ground on something, along comes a dog that responds well to it and isn't the least bit harmed or less cheerful </p><p>But every dog is different, and (like others said) I like to begin with root causes and easy solutions and go from there. So in the case of an excessive or overstimulated barker, stuff like why do they bark, is it a medical reason, can they be kept away from a window or gate where they're constantly seeing stuff and barking, etc.

We're not exactly 100% sure WHAT he is barking at. He has always been a barker when he is outside. If someone comes through the yard or is in a neighboring yard...or there is a leaf that blows by...When that happens I bring him in. He is still whimpering and whining usually...but he eventually calms down. We also can't leave our front windows open sometimes, at night, or else people walking by or talking, etc. will set him off. Which is unfortunate, because we don't have AC and it's nice to get the house cool at night! However the last few nights he has been ok...

His new thing is that he barks downstairs. Bedrooms and kitchens and "main" living area are upstairs, but there pen is downstairs. They go down there a lot when they don't even have to...so when he is down there, its right in front of a sliding door looking out into the backyard. We're not even sure what he is usually barking at. I hear him barking and look outside and see nothing. Dave thinks he was barking at a wheel barrow sitting in the neighbors yard for about an hour+ one day.

It's possible they don't get enough stimulation and/or exercise...but unfortunately that isn't going to change much when baby comes. I'd love to fence in the backyard...but that is WAY more expensive than a citronella collar    They have access to an area next to the house including a big deck, but the little guy gets too hot or too cold so he doesn't like "sunbathing" like the big guy does.

As I mentioned, he is a stubborn & smart dog. He is also neurotic...He tries to break up "fights" at the dog park. (Usually they are just playing...It is pretty funny that he tries to stick up for his bigger brother...who is literally twice his size. But in the dog park we are standing right there and can get his attention and move him away/correct.) And I think he is probably just trying to protect us/notify us that something is going on....but I'm not sure what it is sometimes and he doesn't give up...It also isn't super convenient for me to get out of bed (upstairs) and go downstairs to try and correct him...especially since I've probably just been woken up and may not be at my calmest. 

Maybe I'm trying to take the "easy" way out because I'm not sure what to do. But the citronella collar WOULD be training...Undecided

Oh...and does anyone know where I can find one of the shock collars for the baby?!?! That would be SUPER helpful in a few months...

2013-05-06 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

This thread is interesting when compared to the recent spanking thread. Physical consequences are looked down upon when it comes to kids, but with dogs it appears the majority is okay with shocking them to get them to do what you want.

Do your dogs roam at night or do you keep them in a cage? If not you might try putting him in a cage in a dark room and even add a blanket over the cage to create a cave for him at night. He shouldn't have much to bark at in that situation. 

2013-05-06 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4728377

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
briderdt - 2013-05-05 9:19 PM
Marvarnett - 2013-05-05 12:51 PM

Wow. You must like to take every argument to its illogical extreme. Careful of those logical leaps, you could put yourself into overtraining.

How is this illogical?  Both require training and patience correct?  You don't simply slap a collar on a screaming kid and call it good just like you don't do that with a dog. 

They both take thought and patience to quiet down and figure out WHY it's happening and then fixing the problem.  Just because one might say "It's just a dog" it's no different. 

I actually think taking emotions out of things makes for a more logical argument which will always trump one filled with emotions.  ie, "It's a kid, it's different".  No...it's not.  But that's just my take.  YMMV

2013-05-06 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
pass the popcorn please
2013-05-06 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4729345

User image

mehaner - 2013-05-06 12:29 PM

pass the popcorn please

Please share and make room on the couch.

2013-05-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4729295

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Aarondb4 - 

Do your dogs roam at night or do you keep them in a cage? If not you might try putting him in a cage in a dark room and even add a blanket over the cage to create a cave for him at night. He shouldn't have much to bark at in that situation. 

x2

What breed/mix of dog is it?

2013-05-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4729338

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Marvarnett - 2013-05-06 9:24 AM

How is this illogical?  Both require training and patience correct?  You don't simply slap a collar on a screaming kid and call it good just like you don't do that with a dog. 

They both take thought and patience to quiet down and figure out WHY it's happening and then fixing the problem.  Just because one might say "It's just a dog" it's no different. 

I actually think taking emotions out of things makes for a more logical argument which will always trump one filled with emotions.  ie, "It's a kid, it's different".  No...it's not.  But that's just my take.  YMMV

I do love my dogs...but I don't believe that dogs and kids are the same. I have different expectations for both. We disagree on this. That's the wonderful thing about opinions...everyone has them. You have shared your opinion, and I have shared mine.

2013-05-06 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4729487

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
dontracy - 2013-05-06 10:15 AM
Aarondb4 - 

x2

He was labeled an Australian Cattle Dog mix...However, we are pretty sure he has some Pit in him, due to his coloring and his body frame. Not being too familiar with personality traits of pits...I would say he leans more toward cattle dog. He is a herder. We adopted him when he was about 3 years old, from the story we heard some neighbors found him and we're taking turns "caring" for him, but when the weather got colder they took him to the shelter.

I'm not sure that getting a crate is practical (or maybe it's just not something I want to do)...due to the fact that our other dog isn't really a barker, but the little dog can set him off. I also don't see the need to crate both of them...but I don't think it would be right to crate one of them.

2013-05-06 1:13 PM

New user
scotland, Maryland

A dog can also sit in the front seat of the car.  Doesn't mean he's ever going to learn to drive.

lkct01234, I hope you zap your dog and spank your kids.  

2013-05-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4729646

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

lkct01234 - He was labeled an Australian Cattle Dog mix...

Do Australian Cattle Dogs use barking to help them herd?

In my experience with a limited number of dogs, the ones who are crate trained love their crates.  

2013-05-06 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4729646

User image

Melon Presser
lkct01234 - 2013-05-07 1:10 AM
dontracy - 2013-05-06 10:15 AM
Aarondb4 - 

x2

He was labeled an Australian Cattle Dog mix...However, we are pretty sure he has some Pit in him, due to his coloring and his body frame. Not being too familiar with personality traits of pits...I would say he leans more toward cattle dog. He is a herder. We adopted him when he was about 3 years old, from the story we heard some neighbors found him and we're taking turns "caring" for him, but when the weather got colder they took him to the shelter.

I'm not sure that getting a crate is practical (or maybe it's just not something I want to do)...due to the fact that our other dog isn't really a barker, but the little dog can set him off. I also don't see the need to crate both of them...but I don't think it would be right to crate one of them.

Crating isn't a correction ... done right, it's actually a reward. I GET TO SLEEP IN MY HAPPY WARM COSY SNUGGLY SPECIAL ONLY-ME PLACE!!!

Just watch, the other one will be begging for one too and trying to squeeze into the littler one.

2013-05-06 1:34 PM

New user
scotland, Maryland

Our dog AND our cat both love the dog crate. Our dog will sometimes leave her own bed on the living room floor and just go curl up in her crate, sometimes to the displeasure of the cat who's already in there sleeping.  Also, when it's bed time for us humans, our dog runs up the step after coming inside from its last potty break and all on her own, runs in to her crate to sleep without us even saying a word.  Even when we leave the house, we just say "in" and she walks over and plops down.  It doesn't look too cruel to me.

We are proud owners of the best Boston Terrier ever.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog No-Bark Collars Rss Feed  

of 2