Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 29m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I kept telling everyone this was just a "fun run" for me - I really wanted to do this one in my own city, so even thought it's a rest week in Vineman training, I saved up all my running for the week for the race.

Night before I went on a date to a charity event and a late dinner - tried so hard to sleep but later learned there was a lengthy police chase so that's why I kept hearing round after round after round of sirens blasting by the highway right outside my window.

A few hours of sleep, 2 sips of coffee and half a bowl of oatmeal later and I'm rushing out the door, almost late. Oh crap it's raining/drizzling? And freaking COLD? Ugh. Didn't realize it was only like 40 degrees but I was wearing capri pants (fine) with a tiny singlet top (not so fine) - and I'd thrown on a cotton lightweight hoodie just for the drive. No gloves. No ear warmers. No hat. Oops.

When I parked I rummaged around in my backseat to find a jacket that I decided to wear. It's fleece lined (hot) but water repellent. I thought that would be better than the cotton one.
Event warmup:

Sat in my car a bit then ventured out to the start line. Ran into a college girlfriend Maranda - it was her first half marathon. We chatted until they told us to line up and I was somewhere near the 2:30 pacers.

A moment of silence for Boston tugged at my heart strings and made me say a silent prayer of gratitude. I am truly blessed to be out here running.
Run
  • 2h 29m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really cold starting out. First few miles reflected how much faster the cold moves my butt forward. I kept trying to figure out a way to fashion my jacket into gloves since my hands were SO COLD! But I'd keep remembering I was basically wearing a tissue-thin, racer-back skimpy top so that wasn't an option.

I really don't remember much about the first half, except there were NOT enough water stations. First one at 2 miles, 2nd one at 4 miles. I needed more.

I was "too warm" most of the time with the fleece lined jacket. More than once I almost took it off but I didn't want to stop to mess with it. It was weird sweating under there but still feeling the cold and the rain all over my face. The weather really sucked.

In my head I always tell myself as long as I get to the halfway point without stopping to walk (save for aid stations) then I can allow one per mile. But at 6 I pushed it to 7, then at 7 I pushed it to 8. Yay!

I saw the aid station at 8.5 miles beforehand so I ate (more like chewed, it was so cold in my pocket) a GU so I could wash it down with water. I felt this kick in a few minutes later and was feeling great!

I also noticed around there after a U-turn, the 2:30 pacers were on my heels. I got a wild hair that I could maybe beat 2:30 so decided then and there to put my head down and practice my "Ironman strong" mentality. I know I'll need plenty of that for Vineman so thought it would be good practice.

The miles ticked off a little slower after that but you know what? I KEPT RUNNING. I'd check behind me every now and then and I could still see the pacer so knew I couldn't stop. At the 12 mile marker I had something like 13 minutes to get under 2:30 and I knew it would be close.

At 12.75 I still couldn't see the finish line so got worried and picked it up. Shortly after that My buddy Alan from the tri club (I think he's the President again?) was finished and running back through the course encouraging people. He ran with me then just ahead of me, cheering on everyone around me at the same time, so I really kicked it in to keep up with him. He ran with me for probably only 60 seconds but it was exactly what I needed - I really think it made the difference as I only had 28 seconds to spare!

Crossed the finish line feeling pretty dang good about my time. Clearly it's not fast, but the last half marathon I did in February was 2:34:55 so yeah! Knocking a few minutes off always feels good :)
What would you do differently?:

Sleep the night before.
Make better wardrobe choices.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran into a few friends and immediately froze up. The line for the coffee tent was too long and the athlete food was all pizza and bread - so I just bee lined home with the heat blasting.

Last updated: 2013-03-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:32 | 13.1 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-05 12:24 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Prairie Fire Half Marathon

2013-05-06 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4727960

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Prairie Fire Half Marathon

wonderful race, lisa!  the hardest thing to do is dress to run on an off-weather day...yeesh....i had a similar wardrobe malfunction on a hike with the pups yesterday.

so proud of you for beating 2:30!!!

2013-05-06 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Sub 2;30, Nice!  Know what you mean about not waiting in line and booking home with the heat going.  That's what I did after my 5K Saturday morning!

Nice job gettin' 'er dun' young lady!

2013-05-06 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Great job. That's awesome that you could keep pushing on past miles 6, 7, 8, ...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prairie Fire Half Marathon Rss Feed