Long Island Marathon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 1s
Overall Rank = 1578/3798
Age Group = 44
Age Group Rank = 182/
Pre-race routine:

Back in January I set out to run the half this year. Last year I did the full and I really struggled for the rest of the year. I had a nagging knee injury and I never really got back into a rhythm until late into the season. I was hoping a shorter distance would set me up for the tri season a little better this year.

When I started the program I said to myself wouldn’t it be great if I could run this in 2:00. I knew it would be a push to do it but I thought I could just maybe do it. Training wasn’t the greatest. In hind sight I only had a few good stretches and I was sick a couple times. I think I only missed 2 runs but the program wasn’t very aggressive. A few weeks ago I reassessed and thought I should be thinking of a 2:05 finish. I knew I could do that and felt that would be a decent race for me.
Event warmup:

I was going to this race solo as I have often done in the past. My children had a piano recital @ 7:00 pm that night and we didn’t want them tired from the early wake up call. I took a different way and got there early and had a great parking space well at least it was great for the start of the race – more on that later. I had about an hour to kill before the race. It was a chilly start that morning. However I changed my shirt at the last minute to a short sleeve and boy I was so happy later on when it heated up. I planned on energy gels every half hour and one at the start of the race.
Run
  • 2h 00m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start of the race I said to myself what the heck let’s try for an average of 9:00 per mile for the first 8 miles and then see if I could hang in for the rest. I contemplated not using my gps for the race and going by feel and that’s what I did for most of the race. However it was nice to have it on mile 8 to double check and I saw I had a chance at 2:00 but was going to have to pick up the pace a little. I did just that and when I hit mile 11 I said it’s just a 5K and I went after it. I average 8:40 on the last 3 miles and I sprinted at 8:29 for the last .1 mile.

It was a push for me to do and I was really happy with my time and happy that I mentally fought through the last few miles and didn't give up.

Post race
Warm down:

I found the ART tent and had them “release” my hamstrings which were getting very tight at this point. It simply amazes me that after 5 minutes on the table all tightness was gone. I grabbed a few free drinks and headed back to my truck. So remember how I had a great parking space well now I was paying for it. At least a mile if not more of a walk back to my truck……UGG!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can do better I know it. I need to be more serious about my diet this year. I think weight loss is key for me.

Last updated: 2013-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:01 | 13.1 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3798
Performance:
Course: The course is relativity flat with a few hills. It starts it front of the Nassau Coliseum and winds its way around Eisenhower park and through Westbury which is a very scenic village. You end up on the Wantagh Parkway and the full does last half of the marathon on the Parkway but the half splits off back to the park and the finish line. One thing that still irks me is they use the gun time for ranking. It boggles my mind as to why they do that.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-09 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: Long Island Half Marathon

2013-05-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4735089

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Long Island Half Marathon
Great race Adam!! Glad you had the GPS to realize you could reach your original goal time with a push at the end.  Congratulations!!
2013-05-10 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4735089

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Long Island Half Marathon
Nice job Adam!  Good race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Half Marathon Rss Feed