General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Someone Tell Me I'll Be Okay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-13 9:49 AM

Subject: Someone Tell Me I'll Be Okay

Seems like i have the worst luck ever.  

I'm signed up for the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in about three weeks.  So up until the beginning of May my training has been going well.  I've gotten in a couple 60+ mile rides.  I've been swimming a ton and making improvements there.  Down from 1:50/100yd avg to about 1:30 or faster for 12x100 sets and could hold about 1:38/100yd pace on a 5x500yd set.  My running I've upped to 4 days a week for my training plan and have been feeling great.  All good so far.

So my wife wanted to run a half marathon that was May 5th, I thought it would be a good test for Raleigh coming up as it was fairly hilly course as well.  I tapered my run a bit the week before but kept up my swimming and biking. I had a great run paced it perfectly and set a 2 minute HM pr.  After the race I stood around for about an hr waiting on my wife to finish then had to walk back to our car which we parked quite a distance away from the race finish at her work for free parking.  The next day I had a sharp pain on the bottom outside of my foot just in front of my heel.  If I wasn't walking/standing on it would feel fine but the more I walked/stood on it the more it hurt.  The pain slowly subsided this week and I was going to try and run today.  I didn't have a problem biking or swimming so was still doing that.  

Well yesterday I go out for a planned ride, I wanted to get about 3.5 hrs in around 65 miles or so.  I'm about an hour in and I'm feeling great.  I'm riding on a road that I've only ridden once before.  On a slightly down hill section I've picked up my speed a bit and up comes an S turn, and the second turn is way sharper than I expected.  I was carrying way more speed than I wanted to and as I was coming around the bike just slid out from under me.   I went down hard on my side, I think I was doing at least 20+.  I slid at least 10-15 feet before the bike came unattached and I then started to tumble in the middle of the road.  The bike continued sliding on it's own another 15-20 feet at least.  When I got up both knees were bleeding, my right ankle was bleeding, both hands were scrapped up and I had a huge abrasion on my right butt cheek/hip.  Luckily I didn't hit my head and my hip/butt took the brunt of the fall.  After the adrenaline wore off I started to get really cold and shaky and didn't feel too good so i called my parents and they came and picked me up and took me home.

So now today I have a serious case of road rash.  I hurt all over from tumbling.  Nothing seems serious, just more sore all over my body.  I'm not running today.  It will be a bit before I can get into the pool again.  And I'm sort of freaking out about my race in just 3 weeks.  Not exactly sure the state of my bike, though it seemed to slide mostly on the handle bars (new tape needed), pedal and rear derailleur and a slight tear on the side of my saddle.  I plan to take it to get checked out by my LBS where I bought it.  I hope that after a few days I'll be able to start running and biking again even if it's just short and easy at this point.  Will I lose too much in training with the race so close?  Is it over for me or can I still do it?  I'm pretty sure that the road rash won't be a problem come race time just the issue of losing training time in this last couple weeks has got me worried.

2013-05-13 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4739671

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Someone Tell Me I'll Be Okay

You'll be fine.  Will you be the same as if this didn't happen? Probably not but that might be a good thing.  Some people have a hard time tapering and this may help you with that.

If your bike slid on the drive side against the derailleur, definitely get it checked out and get some good rides in before race day.

2013-05-13 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Take a look at Chrissie Wellington before she did Kona a few years ago. She crashed her bike only a few weeks before the race and still won the damn thing with some nasty road rash. Pretty dang inspiring to me.  Harden up and heal up.
2013-05-13 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
You will be OK.
2013-05-13 11:11 AM

User image

Pro

Go to your drug store, get Tegaderm dressings......theyare actually clear "second skin" applications that are waterproof and allow your wounds to heal without forming a scab....so you can keep working out without the stiffness.  They really work.

Unfortunately, I had to make a similar run to the drug store last night after my kid laid his bike down.  The last time he crashed we used the Tegaderm dressings and he didn't miss a day of training.

Good luck.

2013-05-13 11:13 AM

User image

Pro

2013-05-13 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Do as already stated, and get back on the bike ASAP and get some at-speed turns under your belt. The damage could be more psychological than physical if you let any fears settle in -- get past them now.
2013-05-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4739914

Very, very good advice (in addition to the Tegaderm).  I was cagey for awhile after I crashed several years ago...you don't want to be skittish during a race.

briderdt - 2013-05-13 11:32 AM Do as already stated, and get back on the bike ASAP and get some at-speed turns under your belt. The damage could be more psychological than physical if you let any fears settle in -- get past them now.

2013-05-13 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

A couple of years ago I got a huge gash above my left eye.

The ER was all set to stitich it.  I had a race the next day and asked if I could still swim.  They said no swimming if they stitched it but I could swim if I glued it.

They glued it and I got my first podium the next morning.

2013-05-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4739854

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Left Brain - 2013-05-13 9:11 AM

Go to your drug store, get Tegaderm dressings......theyare actually clear "second skin" applications that are waterproof and allow your wounds to heal without forming a scab....so you can keep working out without the stiffness.  They really work.

Unfortunately, I had to make a similar run to the drug store last night after my kid laid his bike down.  The last time he crashed we used the Tegaderm dressings and he didn't miss a day of training.

Good luck.

x1,000,000.  I should know because I had a horrible case of road rash in the early 90's after a bike accident.  After visiting UCLA hospital, I became a "crash test dummy" for the a group of researchers for a new type of one of these anti-bacterial dressings.  I suffered two agonizing weeks of pulling off dry dressings x2/day, until they managed to manufacture 2 extra-extra-large dressings for my hip and shoulder areas.  The healing rate was incredible, as the scabs disappeared almost immediately (which made moving around so much easier) and I had new pink skin growing within 1-2 weeks.  Both the doctors and myself were astonished, and my bathroom cupboard is always stocked with Tagederm now, for big/small cuts and road rashes (that are thankfully smaller than my 1990's accident).

P.S.  You'll be okay  Start getting confident back on your bike, once the worst of your pain has gone away, but don't be disheartened if this takes a while. Good luck and heal well and fast.

2013-05-13 3:00 PM

User image

Tegaderm works

2013-05-13 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
You got 3weeks till your race. That is enough time to heal, traing, crash and heal again!
2013-05-14 12:16 AM
in reply to: #4740395

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
You'll be ok
2013-05-14 1:08 AM

User image

Canyon, Texas
I crashed my bike, very similar to what you are describing... took two weeks for everything to heal up and scabs to fall off.  You have plenty of time for a recovery, enjoy the advanced taper!
2013-05-14 12:07 PM

I dropped my bike off at the bike shop today they are going to look it over for me.  It doesn't appear that there's anything wrong with it but the mechanic said he'll give it the once over and let me know if anything comes up.  

Yesterday I was over reacting a little bit to the accident and today I feel much better thanks to all your encouragement.  As soon as I get my bike back I'll get out on the road again for some confidence building before my race.  I may not have the results I was looking for due to some unplanned time off, but hey, it's my first HIM so anything better than DNF is a PR.  (Though I still secretly have a time goal in mind).  Now I'm just going to focus on getting to the starting line healthy and confident that all the work I've put in the past 4 months will show through.

2013-05-14 12:18 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
I took an S-curve too fast ONE WEEK before IM Canada last year.  Probably wasn't going as fast as you were, but I was healthy enough to lay down a decent race.  You'll definitely be fine!  Listen to the advice re:Tegaderm.  I didn't, and having the scabs repeatedly form and fall off was rather annoying/painful.

2013-05-15 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I laid down my bike about three weeks before my first Oly last year. Serious road rash on the hip and shoulder (gotta love when the orderly starts picking out the gravel and rinsing with antiseptic), 8 stitches on the elbow, and a a head saved from concussion from the helmet.

I took a couple of days off, and was able to run and ride in less than a week. I ocean swam, so I didn't have to worry about open wounds in a public pool. Like someone said, it forces a taper.

On race day, I had an open 4x4 bandage in my helmet and slapped that on the elbow in T1, so that the stitches wouldn't open on the areobar rests. Other than that, no changes.

You'll be fine. Treat the wounds the way that others have recommended.
2013-05-15 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
You'll be fine.  I'm already tapering, so you're in good company!  What's your bib number?
2013-05-15 2:56 PM

My number is 1759.  

I dropped my bike off at the bike shop yesterday to get it checked out.  On the way back to work I remembered that I would pass a medical supply store so I stopped in and was able to get some individual sheets of tegaderm.  They had several sizes up to 8"x12".  I applied them last night and things are much better today.  I did a 45 minute ride on the stationary bikes at the gym and did a quick lap around the track to see if I would be able to stand running later today.  No problems other than some minor discomfort from the affected areas.  The last two days every time I moved it seemed to hurt as the wound dried out/ scabbed over and I kept breaking open again.  Since the tegaderm I don't have that problem.

I'm picking my bike up tonight so other than a few scrapes and a small hole in my nearly new saddle it's good to go the mechanic said.  So now I'm debating a short ride/run brick to try out my tri suit and get my confidence back.  Thanks for all the good advice it has helped, and I'm feeling much better about my race now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Someone Tell Me I'll Be Okay Rss Feed