General Discussion Race Reports! » Jordan Lake Open Water Challenge - 2.4 Mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jordan Lake Open Water Challenge - 2.4 Mile - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pittsboro, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 47s
Overall Rank = 3/58
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We woke up in Cary, ate at the Comfort Suites and drove to the site arriving at 8.15. Dana and I shuffled kids through registration and down to the beach by 8.29. I swung my arms and shimmied into the wetsuit.
Event warmup:

As the starter was calling for everyone to exit the lake for the start I ran out and swam about 50 meters of drill. Jumped out, got in line to reenter and register my chip and gave my wedding ring to Dana Ann who would start 10-15 minutes after my wave. Hurried and frantic describe arrival and warm up.
Swim
  • 57m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was fun to race with Dana but one thing I learned from the experience is that both of us racing and trying to organize the kids in the morning may be too much. She ended up without enough breakfast. I almost missed my start.

We arrived after the race briefing, checked in and made it to the beach at about 8.25. I jumped in the water as the announcer was calling for people to exit the lake for the 2.4 mile race to start.

I did about a 50 warm up of drills.

All in all, it was a good swim. I felt good. I did not feel weightless and amazing. I sighted poorly and twice stopped for orientation and stopped three other times to clear fog from goggles. There was only one buouy between each turn and could have used more for guidance.

In the deep water, parallel to shore, section of the triangle shaped course there was a chop from the wind. It actually felt like swimming into a current.

I accellerated into the finish easily and passed people but never really hit the perfect "zone" with my stroke.

This was the first race in more than two years that I did not get a PR. DRAT.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up. Clear my head before the start. Attend race briefing to learn about the start. Arrive much earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

After I came out of the water, I said hellow to the kids who were digging in the sand. Esme came over to join me and wait/look for Dana Ann. Then we took a couple photos, packed the car, waited for the awards (3rd Male Overall) and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Logistics.

Event comments:

There were a dearth of safety folks on the water which didn't matter -- thankfully. They did have an ambulance on site. There were hundreds of people who left for a group ride along the IMR70.3 course -- I was envious. It was fun, the people were nice, it was very laid back and low key. It was a local race -- most of the people seemed to know several others there. The lake was pretty, clean and without grasses etc. on the course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:47 | 4224 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/58
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Long John
Course: Clockwise triangle -- 1.2 miles per loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-14 9:25 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Jordan Lake Open Water Challenge - 2.4 Mile

2013-05-14 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4741565

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Jordan Lake Open Water Challenge - 2.4 Mile

Nice race, Kent!

Good looking family. Congratulations to Dana too. Logistics with the kids and events will always be a challenge, but I'll bet on you finding the answer-every time.

Excellent!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jordan Lake Open Water Challenge - 2.4 Mile Rss Feed