United States
ORRRC
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 15s
Overall Rank = 138/178
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/12
Pre-race routine:

A normal pre-race for me, show up running late from my office. I got there with 10 minutes to spare before the start of the race. Parked and jogged/ran over to the sign-in area. Got checked in paid my fee, and then stretched a little.

I was headed to the bathroom, but then heard them calling all the racers to the start line. So much for taking a leak before the race.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile stretched and chatted with some folks.
Run
  • 31m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Mass start, I started in the back of the pack trying to keep out of the way of the faster people. I didn't realize I had started out so fast. I was running and felt pretty comfortable in the pace, then I looked down at my Garmin at some point and saw that I was doing 8:XX pace and knew I was going to have trouble later. I started trying to slow my pace down, but I didn't slow down quiet fast enough. I was not passing very many people, and some were passing me. I was feeling preety good, but knew I really needed to back it off.

Hit the first mile, the path was pretty clear. Clicked on the lap button to both the Garmin, and my watch. I had no clue how fast I had done that mile, just knew it was pretty fast.

Running the second mile, I can tell the breathing is very labored. Legs are starting to feel a little heavy but still feeling pretty good. The path is getting a little sloopy, but mostly it is dry. A few spots it was slippery and muddy. I am thinking I could have another PR, but I know I need to hold back some so I don't blow up. Finish the second mile, hit the buttons again. I still had no clue how fast I had been going.

Starting the third mile, I am feeling the legs slow down. Breathing is harder and harder. Since I can't really count on the garmin since the path has a lot of tree cover, I am not sure what my pace is. I am thinking that I just need to keep running. I get to about mile 2.5-.6 and just have to slow down and walk. I was pretty waisted by this point, so I walk a little then take off again. Another short run, and then I have to walk another stretch. Finally I hit the mile 3 marker, I could see I was not going to hit my goal of under 30:00. I was disappointed, but wanted to finish out strong.

I finished and was disappointed with 31:15, I thought I could have done better. I figure next race I will try to set the garmin up a little different. Set pace zones and see how that works for me.
What would you do differently?:

NOT GO OUT SO DANG FAST! Let the folks that want to go out for 8:45 minute miles go, pace myself for 9:30 or so.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched a little got some water. Listen to some of the guys from my tri club talk about their last race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough base miles in running.

Event comments:

I really can't complain about the race, it was nearly another PR. I just wanted to break 30:00 and figured I had a great chance of doing it this race. Had I started a little slower, I think I could have held the pace a lot better.

I have another race in a week and I can try again then.

Last updated: 2006-06-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:15 | 03.11 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/178
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 8:34 Mile 2 - 9:51 - 18:25 Mile 3 - 11:50 - 30:16 (blew up here, I had started WAY too fast) Mile 3.1 - :54 - 31:15 HR - First mile avg 151 2nd mile 157 3rd mile 151 finish 153
Course: Big loop and back track over the Carriage hill park, pretty flat. Total elevation change 300 feet, that included a 100 foot climb and 100 foot drop. Not a big deal this time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-13 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Carriage Hill 5K Trail Run

2006-07-13 8:34 AM
in reply to: #481262

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Carriage Hill 5K Trail Run
Good job.

Not every race can be a PR (but it looks like you made the best of this one).
2006-07-16 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA

A good race considering you went out so fast on the first mile. I think alot of us do that, I know I did it ONCE, and hope I've learned my lesson. I'm sure you will be under 30 minutes by the end of the season. Keep working out with those kids!!!!!!!!

2006-07-16 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

You had some great splits even if you didn't PR this race.  Great job! 

If my legs ever hit a 8:34 mm, I wouldn't know how to handle it!

2006-07-18 5:12 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Hey you got out and did it and finished even though you started out too fast. Way to get to the line. Remember all the lessons learned and take the next one to the next level.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carriage Hill 5K Trail Run Rss Feed