United States
Pirhana Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 33s
Overall Rank = 171/374
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/30
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am. Showered and stretched a little. Put all my bottles on ice and loaded all my stuff. Glenn road with me to the race - we were on the road by 4:30am. Drank about 20oz water and 400 cal Sustained Energy. Got to the site plenty early - went up to register and found out the swim was cancelled. Bummer. I definitely wouldn't say that swimming is my strength, but I can surely say that running is not my strength. Forgot to bring a banana and also forgot to eat my Lara bar. I was hungry by race time, but that went away.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. I'm not a big warm-up type of person. Maybe I should be, I don't know. I just like to stretch a little. I figure that if I'm going to be out there for over 2 hours, I'll be plenty warm. Glenn and I just hung out on the pier and shot the breeze for a while. Very enjoyable morning.
Run
  • 19m 7s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing special. Even though I had done a r-b-r brick last weekend, it was mostly Z2, so I had no idea how to pace this. I figured everone would go out hard so I just tried to focus on how I felt and my HR. I held back a little figuring I had a tough bike and another run ahead of me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Good transition. 4th fastest in my AG. Glad I'm good at something.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 28s
  • 27 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm very pleased with my performance on the bike. Having absolutely no experience on a hilly course, I geared well for the most part and seemed to hold my own on the climbs. I felt like the first 10 miles were really tough - never found a stretch where I could get my HR down. Paul M. blew by me at mile 13 and Glenn blew by me at mile 16. The 7 1/2% grade hill at mile 20 was just as tough as Glenn had described. I sat for about 75% of it. Although I had a great time on the bike, with all the climbing and descending and turning, I forgot to drink enough. After the race when I checked my bottles, I only finished half my water and 3/4 of my calories.

Focus on drinking on the bike - particularly early in the bike. This is a stupid mistake that is easy to fix and now I've done it at my last two events and payed for it on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Another good transition although I took my time and stretched out my left calf a little. It's a shame the whole race isn't just 2 hrs. of transitioning - I might actually be able to compete! 10th fastest transition in my AG.
Run
  • 44m 17s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably my worst run ever in a race. Felt pretty good for the first mile, but then my HR started creeping up and PE went through the roof. I basically felt like I shuffled my feet for 5 miles. I walked through the aid stations to be sure to get as much water and gatorade down as I could. Everone has a bad run occasionally, but I'm really disappointed in myself for becoming so negative about it around miles 3 and 4. I saw Glenn (looking strong as ever) and Paul and Bill which helped, but I was really not feeling well. The same hamstring cramp started up at mile 4 that I had at Ft. Delaware so I knew I was dehydrated.

Drink on the bike. I'm going to have to start setting my watch to beep every 10-15 min. on the bike to remind me or something. I'm also going to try to get in a lot more transition runs after my bike rides. I guess at this point I really need to focus on running in my training. Not fun to look forward to in July and August.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down and drank gatorade/water. Hung out with Glenn and ate a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration and the tough bike course.

Event comments:

Good race altogether. This location took a ton of volunteers and Piranha seemed to pull it off without a hitch. I really enjoyed the bike course.

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:07 | 02.5 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/30
Overall: 196/374
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Started and finished on large stones which was really tough to run on. Mostly paved trail - all flat. They had told us it was a 5k, but when I made the turn at 9:00, I knew it was way off. The results page listed it as 2.5 miles which seems correct.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:22:28 | 27 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/30
Overall: 121/374
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Very hilly and technical - lots of turns. Major hill around mile 20.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:17 | 05 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/30
Overall: 257/374
Performance: Bad
HR monitor was reading 235 for most of the run. I had the same problem on the bike. I wonder if all the power lines along the run was screwing it up?
Course: Out and back along the same course as the first run. Stones at the start and finish. Some trail and a little grass. Mostly paved trail and sidewalks.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-13 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon

2006-07-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: #481318

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon
Great job on the race! Sorry to hear the run was so tough. But you made it through!

2006-07-13 7:14 PM
in reply to: #481318

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon

Keep your chin up. You had a top ten bike split - that's something special for a flatlander! You identified your weaknesses, so get after 'em. Put it all together for Diamondman.

Great to share the experience. Looking forward to more.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamond in the Rough Triathlon Rss Feed