Hartford Marathon Foundation
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m 34s
Overall Rank = 263/357
Age Group = 40/44
Age Group Rank = 17/23
Pre-race routine:

No real routine. Race started at 7:30 so I got up at 5, had an egg on a bagel thin and some water and drove to the start.
Event warmup:

No warmup - It was my first event and I just wanted to use the first 5k as a warmup. My strategy really was to go slow, take it easy and just have a good time.
Run
  • 30m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran it with a friend. About 5 minutes before the start, we talked strategy. "Go easy, save the energy and just have a good time." That's pretty much what we did. She kept me at about a 9:40 pace which was a little faster than I planned but whatever, it worked and I never felt out of my comfort zone. Crossed into transition at 30:03 (clock time with no starting mat - I hate that). Throughout the run we chatted a bit and kept it light.
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing - I felt good and ready to ride.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I didn't really time my transition but I didn't waste time either. Changed my shoes and put on my helmet and I was off.

Probably nothing. Although running in speedplay cleats sucks - I'm not sure what I can do about that because I don't see myself ever being the kind of rider that preclips their shoes :)
Bike
  • 58m 46s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.34 mile/hr

Can't say I'd change anything - I had a great time :)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, I didn't time the transitions but I got there, changed my shoes and my hat back and I was off. I put on those Yankz laces the night before and they were KEY!!

Nothing :)
Run
  • 34m 42s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 05m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Everyone says that running after biking is ugly. I jumped off the bike, changed my shoes and hat and I was off again. The run starts on a downhill so I thought "this isn't so bad." And I was good until about mile 2 and then the lead set it. Well, I looked at the clock and thought "I'm still going to finish around 2 hours so stop looking at the watch and just keep moving." And that's what I did. With a pace of 10:30 (and actually a 3.3 mile run) I finished in 263rd place out of 357 with a finish time of 2:06. Here's more perspective: overall 263 but bike portion alone 201. EEK. I gotta work on the run, I guess.

I really just need to run more and run with a plan - maybe incorporate some speed work etc.
Post race
Warm down:

I had to walk a mile back to the transition to get my stuff. That was my warm down and then I stretched when I got home. I was EXHAUSTED! But in a good way.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

This race is put on by the Hartford Marathon Foundation and I've found all their events to be well organized, staffed and supported. Definitely will do next year!!

Last updated: 2013-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:03 | 03.11 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/357
Performance: Good
Elevation gain 165ft/3.1 miles: 53'/mile
Course: some small rolling hills. Nothing crazy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:58:46 | 16 miles | 16.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: This course was hilly - so overall I'm pretty psyched with my performance. When I started out I had the same plan as the first run - just relax, take it easy and save some energy. Well then I saw the hills - and I really love the hills so I said "SCREW IT." This is my strength, this is where I can make up time so I'm going for it. Unfortunately I don't have the gps data but my friend's said 1,133ft elevation gain (over 16 miles that's 70ft/mi). Kinda hilly. So I'll take my 16.3avg for a time of 58:46.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:42 | 03.3 miles | 05m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Same as the first run pretty much.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-19 7:47 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon

Started by tri_bob
Views: 1159 Posts: 1

2013-05-19 7:32 PM tri_bob

Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon

Started by rizer22
Views: 1159 Posts: 1

2012-05-20 7:56 PM rizer22

Shamrock Duathlon

Started by Stone
Views: 1267 Posts: 8

2006-05-23 9:17 AM jvinciqu

Shamrock Duathlon

Started by stumfossil
Views: 1663 Posts: 10

2006-05-22 3:37 PM Stone

Shamrock Duathlon

Started by emuldoon
Views: 699 Posts: 2

2005-05-23 6:26 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.
date : May 16, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
The word enthusiasm comes from Greek enthousiasmos or “inspiration by the presence of a god.” If you are enthusiastic about your sport, I encourage you to honor that inspiration by finding balance.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.