Bullseye Running
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 25m 26s
Overall Rank = 28/175
Age Group = F31-50
Age Group Rank = 2/43
Pre-race routine:

One of my coworkers is on the board for the Ellicott City Historical Society, and he suggested to me - and a few others in the office - to run the Hills of Milltown 5K Challenge, described justly: Even the down hill is up hill in this challenging annual spring 5K sharpener! The race route is scenic as well as challenging AND HISTORIC! This 5K route proves a worthy challenge to even the advanced runner. With multiple hills along the way even the down hill is up hill in this scenic loop course which passes 13 historic sites. A challenge for beginners and a tough spring workout for those competing in longer distance or multi-sport races in the summer. The final approach to the summit climbs over-land to circle the beautiful ruins of the Patapsco Female Institute.

I understand that a race with the word HILLS in the title probably means I can't bitch about the course, but it's my blog so pffffft.

The race was on Mother's Day, but I didn't want to drag H and James out of bed so early (you know what's not a great idea? waking a sleeping toddler!) so we decided to meet for brunch after the race.

Anyhow, I met up with a few coworkers pre race, so that was fun.
Event warmup:

I was probably the second racer there, and used that time to run a 2 1/2 warm up. I'm still undecided if a longer warm up helps or hinders or doesn't do anything at all. I've PR'd with warming up and I've PR'd without it. I've run good races with a warm up and bad races with a warm up.
Run
  • 25m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

That first hill? BRUTAL.

Like oh-my-god-I-can't-breathe-my-legs-are-toast-no-jelly-no-jellytoast. My heart rate was skyrocketing.

And then it went down hill again. Hooray!

And then back up. and then a nice long downhill and some rollers and then another long, tough climb. I let loose on the final downhill but my body was so spent I couldn't really pick up too much speed.

There were four women ahead of me (five if you count the woman who passed me at the end. I guess I should), so I didn't think I'd place. Based on my time (25:26.81) I didn't think I'd place.

• .. Imagine my delight and surprise when I got the emailed results the following morning:

• 31- 50 Female
    1. G.S. F43 MD - 24:49.48
    2. Tricia C. F31 MD - 25:26.81
    3. K.O. F41 City MD - 26:25.68
    Me? Second in an age group (and a large AG - 20 years)?? holy cow that's awesome!

Tell her what she won, Johnny!

Trishie, you've just won a Pandora bracelet and a charm!
    What would you do differently?:

Not run this race :P
    Post race
    Warm down:

Got a long stemmed rose (Mother's Day)
    walked around, got some water

Event comments:

Not gonne lie --- placing in my AG and winning jewelry really improved my feelings regarding this hilly race :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-04-14 12:00 AM
    Running
    00:25:26 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
    Age Group: 2/43
    Overall: 28/175
    Performance: Below average
    mile 1 - 8:11 mile 2 - 8:06 mile 3 - 8:23
    Course: Even the down hill is up hill in this challenging annual spring 5K sharpener! The race route is scenic as well as challenging AND HISTORIC! This 5K route proves a worthy challenge to even the advanced runner. With multiple hills along the way even the down hill is up hill in this scenic loop course which passes 13 historic sites. A challenge for beginners and a tough spring workout for those competing in longer distance or multi-sport races in the summer. The final approach to the summit climbs over-land to circle the beautiful ruins of the Patapsco Female Institute.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 2
    Physical exertion [1-5] 3
    Good race? Ok
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Below average
    Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
    2013-05-20 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
    Burbs
    Subject: Hills of Milltown 5K Challenge

2013-05-20 8:34 PM
    in reply to: #4749505

User image

Royal(PITA)
    West Chester, Ohio
    Subject: RE: Hills of Milltown 5K Challenge

A Pandora bracelet with a charm is pretty nice race shwag.  Nice job on the hilly 5K.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Hills of Milltown 5K Challenge Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Eola Hills Wine Cellars “No Hills” 10K Run and 5K Run

Started by blg_blg
    Views: 1080 Posts: 1

2011-11-24 3:43 PM blg_blg

Challenge Obesity 5k - Charities Challenges

Started by martymngirl
    Views: 892 Posts: 1

2009-04-05 5:15 PM martymngirl

Charities Challenge: Challenge Obesity 5K

Started by BigGirlTri-ing
    Views: 1250 Posts: 4

2007-04-13 5:08 PM runnergirl

Charities Challenge: Challenge Obesity 5K

Started by hikergerb
    Views: 1362 Posts: 1

2006-04-01 2:17 PM hikergerb

Hill Country Challenge

Started by shornick
    Views: 778 Posts: 1

2004-09-19 9:53 PM shornick
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 20, 2007
    comments : 0
    I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : October 9, 2007
    author : dr_forbush
    comments : 9
    The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : AMSSM
    Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.

date : August 31, 2004
    WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...
    date : August 29, 2004
    author : Ron
    comments : 6
    Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
    This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
    comments : 2
    This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
    Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.