MS Charity
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was staying in an RV (my first!), and because I slept on the pullout couch, I was a little uncomfortable, and was worried about my back tighening up (didn't cause any problems). Had my Power breakfast that works very well for me for long cycling days. My friend prepared my bike, pumped up my tires. Since the RV was parked literally 500 ft away, it was extremely easy to just pedal over there.
Event warmup:

My legs and body was very loose due to taking it very very easy the week approaching the event.
Bike
  • 5h 54m 30s
  • 89.2 miles
  • 15.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hoping to do a Century ride since at Zion, I only did 95 miles. The night before the ride, we found out that the ride was shortened by 10 miles. I was disappointed, but since this was a charity ride, I was perfect fine with it. After the ride, I was actually very grateful!

The start was a bit of a huge cluster, and it was difficult to really just "take off", since it was downhill/flattish for quite a while. I rode with my friends, and I wanted to stick with them for the rest of the ride.

There was a few of us that we finally got together in a paceline, and then it was my turn to pull, and what happened? I'm pulling up a hill climb. This made it very difficult because I did not want to keep turning my head to the left looking for my friends, so I figured that I will meet them once there's some space. I looked behind me quickly and I see my friend Tana, so I assumed that there was others behind her, so I just kept on going until we made a turn. Finally some space, and I looked more carefully, and found that I lost the rest of the group on that hill. I soft pedaled and chatted with Tana to figure out what to do. We both really did not want to stop, especially since it was like at mile 10, and it's a long day ahead of us. The guy that was with us, decided to go back and reach the group. We never saw them again until after the ride.

Tana and I just pedaled together, and decided that we would meet them at the second AID stop (by the roundabout that caused a LOT of confusion among the riders!). We waited for like 20 minutes or so, and decided that we'll continue on, and do the long stretch of road that we'll be doing a U-Turn on, and another long stretch of road with yet ANOTHER U-Turn, then see if we can see them back. There was a LOT of rollers. Some steep, some long, some easy. This is not for the faint of the heart! Tana and I decided that we'll meet them at the lunch station. Onward we go...lots of hills, but beautiful view. It was a little bit breezy, but nothing terrible.

Lunch Station - I had my little sandwich, but I really wasn't hungry. I made sure that I ate oranges as lack of hydrating fruits/food caused my stomach issues at Zion. All was good. Tana and I found out that the group missed the turn to the 2nd aid station, and went further, and added 10 miles to their route by accident. They were about 13-15 miles behind us, so we weren't going to wait an hour for them, so off we go!

No issues, except the rentless HILLS!! We both took them like a pro and we both have a great cadence/speed together. She's known as the fast one, and I was kind of shocked that I was able to keep up with her perfectly. I'm not sure if she took it easier due to the long ride, or what, but I'm glad I had someone to ride with!

Just before the 2nd to last aid station, we both were climbing and Tana had a bike problem. Her spoke broke, and her tire will NOT spin. 1/4 mile was the aid station (whew!). They had SNOW KONES! I was so happy and impressed to see them there. They were heaven, and I was able to add as much syrup as I wanted! Tana unfortunately, was not able to ride anymore. The mechanics only had front wheels, and doesn't have the aeroblade spokes that Tana had. Sadly, at mile 65, I had to say goodbye to my riding partner. I rode with another guy from her bike club (Prescott. I knew Tana when she lived in LV before moving to Prescott). I rode with him for a while (he's riding a recumbant), he BLEW me on the descents, so I worked hard, but I blew passed him on the ascents. Kind of evened out!

At mile 72 - Is where things got just bad. They decided to have a route through dirt and gravel, and it was a hilly ride. I just got brand new tires, and they're not really as strong as Gatorskins or Rubinos. So both of us decided to walk the mile of the dirt road (ruined my cleats, since I didn't bring my cleat covers, but I don't care...cheaper to replace cleats than tires, and what if I fell?!).

After that, we rode for a little while, then came a very steep climb, I lost him. Went to the last Aid station, and the winds started to really pick up. He told me to just go, since I've been waiting for 15 minutes already, and I could feel my legs getting cold. So I finished the rest on my own, and it was going to be all downhill...on a highway...with 20-25mph HEADWINDS...on a CHIP AND SEAL ROAD. UGH! It's like a triple whammy!

It was seriously TOUGH and mental games were bouncing around in my head. I was going at a pretty good clip, but not as fast as I would have if it wasn't windy. I was able to catch up with a bigger guy, and he pulled for me, then he got a flat. Oh boy.

I was getting quite fustrated, and the miles were going very slow...at least it felt like it was! I finally saw the fairgrounds, and I was just estatic to FINISH!

Changed out of my bike shorts to comfortable pants, ate a little food (I don't normally get that hungry after a ride!), and waited around for the rest of my friends. They finally came in about half hour after I did. We exchanged stories about the hills, hills and more hills, and the wind. :D
What would you do differently?:

Honestly? NOTHING! I'm grateful that I had a riding partner that had a good moderate pace, and I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard. I was pushing it, but at a comfortable pace. If it wasn't for the wind, I probably could have avg'd about 16mph for the ride. The group that I left, avg'd 14.5.

I'm also extremely grateful that I had NO problems whatsoever with my legs, nutrution, etc. I did have some issues with my brake calipers keep rubbing the rim of the tires. I have to get that fixed before San Diego.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my massage, and the guy said that my IT bands and quads were really tight, and he smoothed the best he could. I think I will try to go for a sports massage once or twice before San Diego and some foam rolling. Since I didn't stay at a hotel, I didn't have access to a bath for my trusty ice bath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mother Nature is a bully at times! :-) Truely, with the training that I had, I am very surprised at how well I did. I didn't feel like I was exhausted, I didn't feel undertrained.

Event comments:

Since this was for Charity, there was a LOT of volunteers, AID stations and a good varitey of stuff for a cheap price. We did have to raise money, but at the same time, we got pretty good stuff. I was happy, and they had everything I needed. Oranges, Snow Kones, lunch, dinner, various crackers, Gatorade (I don't drink Gatorade, so I brought my own electrolytes), various sodas, drinks, water, ice, and chocolate milk after the ride, etc etc. Yup, I'm happy.

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Biking
05:54:30 | 89.2 miles | 15.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR Avg - 149
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Uh. CONFUSING, let's just put it that way. Some areas were marked well, there was a LOT of Roundabouts to deal with, and the police there was really not helpful. There was one roundabout that we were going to use 3 times due to the directions, and this is where a lot of people got lost due to misdirections. My speed slowed down quite a bit with the 7 Roundabouts that we had to deal with.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-20 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: MS150 Sedona - Day 1

2013-05-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4750219

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: MS150 Sedona - Day 1
Awesome DJ! Sounds like a great time with some excellent riding!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MS150 Sedona - Day 1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MS150 Central Fl Day two

Started by Slave Diver
Views: 1151 Posts: 2

2009-05-20 7:19 AM jcbolton

2009 MS150 - Central FL - Day 1

Started by Slave Diver
Views: 1198 Posts: 1

2009-05-19 11:12 AM Slave Diver

Sedona Marathon

Started by perkins_jerryw
Views: 2065 Posts: 12

2009-02-15 2:31 PM BigDH

Sedona Half Marathon

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1747 Posts: 6

2008-02-13 9:58 AM KathyG

Sedona Marathon

Started by perkins_jerryw
Views: 1716 Posts: 11

2008-02-13 4:47 PM sportyj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.
date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Some gear you may want to pack...includes general, swim, bike and run specifics. Don't forget your bike!