MS Charity
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Same as the day before. My friend pumped up my tires, and off we go. Nothing different!
Event warmup:

My legs were sore from the day before, and I stretched a little bit.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 55s
  • 47.45 miles
  • 15.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The start was a bit of a cluster again for a few miles. I lost everyone that I was hoping to ride together, but I figured that I'll meet them soon. Pretty soon, we were riding through the woods (which is a nice change from the day before). My quads were slightly hurting, so I didn't push it that hard. There were a couple rollers, but mostly gradual downhill and flattish. For the first 15 miles or so, I avg'd 16.7 mph until second aid station (I didn't even stop at first aid station because it was at mile 8, (there was 35 miler option), so I decided to skip it.

The first 4-5 miles, the road was HORRIBLE chip and seal. I could feel everything rattling. I picked off so many people left and right due to some of the climbs. It was odd because I was going somewhat slower than my normal pace. I found out later that many of the people that came, lived in an area that was more flatter than Sedona/Cottonwood, so they didn't have quite the hill climbing experience that I have. So, KNOW THE TERRAIN before racing/touring!

Anyways - at the 2nd aid station, I decided to wait for the BLV group. I really did not want to ride this all by myself. I saw them, and caught up with them.

Hills, hills, and more hills. This time, there was some LONG climbs. I'm great at shorter climbs, but need a little bit more work with the longer climbs. It didn't help that my legs were sore from the day before. Everyone was hurting, so we all took it fairly easy. After large hills, we waited and stopped for the slower climbers, so there was quite a few regrouping points.

The descents were AWESOME though! The last 10 miles, was just bad. More of "ugh..how many more miles do we gotta go? My neck hurts. My back hurts", etc. So we just kind of had a social pace. At this time my neck and shoulder was just so so so tight.

After we arrived, I was just cheering loudly and thrilled for this to be OVER! :D Day 2 wasn't that tough, but it was no piece of cake. 2700' of climbing.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. There wasn't anything wrong with my nutrition, bike (except the calipers again...UGH!) or anything. It was a super challenging weekend, and totally worth it for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, got my shoulders and neck massaged. Not as good as the one I had yesterday, but I'll take it. Chatted up a little bit, and got ready to leave for Las Vegas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing! Probably sore body.

Event comments:

Provided Lunch, Starbucks coffee (which I didn't have...I hate coffee!), plenty of drinks and snacks.

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Biking
03:00:55 | 47.45 miles | 15.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR Avg 145
Wind: Some
Course: Around Sedona/Cottonwood.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-20 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: MS150 Sedona - Day 2

2013-05-20 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4750271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: MS150 Sedona - Day 2
Thats a lot of riding DJ. Congrats on 2 big days!
2013-05-20 5:37 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: MS150 Sedona - Day 2
Great weekend of riding DJ!! The climbing is what gives the bragging rights!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MS150 Sedona - Day 2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MS150 Sedona - Day 1

Started by CyborgQueen
Views: 1215 Posts: 2

2013-05-20 5:33 PM kenj

MS150 Central Fl Day two

Started by Slave Diver
Views: 1152 Posts: 2

2009-05-20 7:19 AM jcbolton

2009 MS150 - Central FL - Day 1

Started by Slave Diver
Views: 1199 Posts: 1

2009-05-19 11:12 AM Slave Diver

Sedona Half Marathon

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1749 Posts: 6

2008-02-13 9:58 AM KathyG

Sedona Marathon

Started by perkins_jerryw
Views: 1718 Posts: 11

2008-02-13 4:47 PM sportyj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.
date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Some gear you may want to pack...includes general, swim, bike and run specifics. Don't forget your bike!