General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #2: Olympic AM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #2: Olympic AM - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 20m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5-something to eat PB&J and drink coffee. Rode down to the TA from the cabin, set things up and chilled in the tent before walking over to the swim start. Same format as the Super Sprint with 3 people at a time going off in time trial fashion. Ate a GU about 30 minutes before.
Event warmup:

No warm up. Hung out with Kevin and LC waiting for our turn.
Swim
  • 22m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt strong on this swim without killing myself. No issues. Was happy to have gone with the sleeveless wetsuit and tinted goggles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Uneventful. LC was coming into the TA as I was leaving so it was just a matter of time before she caught me.
Bike
  • 1h 44m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I was unfamiliar with the course so I took each ride easier than usual and didn't race them as I was wanting to survive the weekend. Had some rollers before turning left onto Thompson Hill Road (saw Slake and Baldwin there dealing with Baldwin's broken chain). Was a tough climb, but managed to get up without walking or falling over. Rest of the course was uneventful. There were some rollers, but also some really steep descents. Had a final climb on Rt. 125 before enjoying a 3 mile net downhill to finish the ride.

Nutrition was good with eating Honey Stinger Waffles and drinking Roctane during the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Wore my Newton trail shoes given that nearly all of the run was on trail/gravel so I took the few extra seconds to tie them as they don't have speed laces.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 10m 18s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 05m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided it was best to run the flatish sections and anything that was downhill and walk the uphills. I am a pretty good race speed walker so I knew I wouldn't be too slow vs. running up the hills. There were some descent climbs on this run course and it would have been tough for me to run the entire thing. Was nice to see the teammates out there coming back to finish the run. Saw LC about .5 miles in front of me (based on the turn around), but knew I wouldn't have been able to catch her as we had similar strategies. She waited for me before making the final turn with about 1/4 mile left so we could finish together.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up our stuff and road up the hill to the cabin to rinse off, eat and lay down.

Last updated: 2013-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course: 2 loops course with a short beach run in between each loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:44:28 | 24.85 miles | 14.27 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: 1 loop with a really challenging climb (Thompson Hill Road).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:10:18 | 06.55 miles | 05m 35s  min/mile
Course: Out and back from the TA on the Lamp Black Run trail (gravel). Very hilly - always up or down with very little flats (net uphill on the way out)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: American Triple-T Ohio - Race #2: Olympic AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #2: Olympic AM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #2: Olympic AM

Started by BooTri
Views: 835 Posts: 1

2012-06-05 12:55 PM BooTri

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #3: Olympic PM

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 899 Posts: 1

2012-05-30 11:37 AM SEADOCHA

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #3: Olympic PM

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1017 Posts: 1

2012-05-29 7:28 AM Birkierunner

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1038 Posts: 1

2012-05-29 7:25 AM Birkierunner

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1020 Posts: 3

2012-05-30 12:24 PM SEADOCHA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : April 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 40
Triathletes want more! Instead of a double or triple Ironman, how about a fourth sport?
date : September 3, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
My goal is always to lead by example, and after running the marathon and becoming a volunteer in my hospital's cardiac unit I looked for another way to inspire people. Hello, triathlons!

date : July 30, 2006
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : July 2, 2006
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...