General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM VIP passes. anyone done that for their sherpa? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-23 4:20 PM

User image

Subject: IM VIP passes. anyone done that for their sherpa?
IM Canada has VIP passes for $XXX. Benefits are:

•VIP Goody Bag
•VIP/Sponsor Party (Friday August 23rd)- Hosted at Whistler Sliding Center, Home of the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Bobsled, Luge, Skeleton Track
•Access to VIP area at Welcome Ceremony
•Access to VIP Viewing Area at Swim Start in Rainbow Park
•Exclusive Shuttle Service to/from Swim Start in Rainbow Park
•VIP food/beverage area at Swim Start and Finish Area- available race day August 25th
•Premium Viewing at Finish Line

This would be for my wife. Don't care much about the goody bag, or the pre-party. More for her comfort on a veeerrrryyyy long day. She spectated at IMAZ and was almost as tired as I was. The venue is Whistler, and it is a point to point. So there may be an upside with the viewing and shuttling, but maybe a downside as there's probably tons of places to hang out in the village.

Anyone ever bought one of these for their SO, and have any thoughts?

Took the cost out as it's not a concern, she's put up with so much with my training that it's a drop in the proverbial bucket (not to mention all the other costs we incur).

Edited by ChrisM 2013-05-23 4:27 PM

2013-05-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Subject: RE: IM VIP passes. anyone done that for their sherpa?
For me, if my wife wants it, she gets it. I think training for IM is harder on the spouse than it is for us. If your wife says she would like the VIP pass, it's a small gift to say thank you for putting up with everything. The finish line at any IM is crazy so the VIP section to watch you finish will be worth it!
2013-05-23 4:44 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Originally posted by AndyEWU07

For me, if my wife wants it, she gets it. I think training for IM is harder on the spouse than it is for us. If your wife says she would like the VIP pass, it's a small gift to say thank you for putting up with everything. The finish line at any IM is crazy so the VIP section to watch you finish will be worth it!

I agree with you 100%, although this isn't my wife saying she wants it, it would be a surprise when we get up there.
2013-05-23 9:37 PM

User image

Talking to my wife, she said she would like it if I surprised her with it. The day of the race is usually about you and it would be a nice gesture to make it about her too.
2013-05-23 9:38 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Elite
My friend has always done it for me when I've supported/specatated...also gets me along to carb night, awards night etc.  it's awesome.
2013-05-23 10:17 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
$345

2013-05-24 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by ChrisM

Took the cost out as it's not a concern, she's put up with so much with my training that it's a drop in the proverbial bucket (not to mention all the other costs we incur).

If the cost isn't a concern....I would do it without batting an eye.
2013-05-24 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
My wife won't be watching the whole race (kids are 6/3) but the finish line seating would be a nice thing. Since our little one has cerebral palsy I'm going to see if there is an area set aside for spectators/family with disabilities.
2013-05-24 10:46 AM
in reply to: kingofbanff

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kingofbanff $345

Wow!  My wife would rather have the money.

2013-05-24 10:54 AM

Regular
Seal Beach
I did the gold package once for my wife and my parents. She told me later she'd rather watch her own way, that is was nice, but not something she needed each race.

This season, I bought her a new P3C and had Toby over at hot tubes paint it how she wanted it.

If my wife wants it, she gets it. She puts up with so much of my BS with work, training and racing that she can have whatever she wants.
2013-05-24 11:37 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yeah, this is why I didn't include the price, as I don't care what people think of the cost, or whether we should use the money to feed starving children. My question is about the experience. But of course this is the Internet.

Thanks to those that a actually answered the question. As to what to do with $345 it's not an either / or. She can have that as well

2013-05-24 11:39 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by AndyEWU07 For me, if my wife wants it, she gets it. I think training for IM is harder on the spouse than it is for us. If your wife says she would like the VIP pass, it's a small gift to say thank you for putting up with everything. The finish line at any IM is crazy so the VIP section to watch you finish will be worth it!
I agree with you 100%, although this isn't my wife saying she wants it, it would be a surprise when we get up there.

Honestly, I think it would be really nice for her.  The shuttle service, food, and having a spot at the finish line seem like a really nice thing for her during a very long day.  If I do an IM, it's something I'd do for my husband.

2013-05-24 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Yeah, I would tell my boyfriend to keep the money. Or if he really wants to spend it he could buy me a e-reader!

2013-05-24 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Yeah, this is why I didn't include the price, as I don't care what people think of the cost, or whether we should use the money to feed starving children. My question is about the experience. But of course this is the Internet.

Thanks to those that a actually answered the question. As to what to do with $345 it's not an either / or. She can have that as well

She is your Sherpa and you should do whatever will make her happy!

2013-05-24 12:11 PM

User image

Pro

OK, I phrase it differently.....my wife couldn't care less about some VIP experience....happy now?  Laughing

2013-05-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

OK, I phrase it differently.....my wife couldn't care less about some VIP experience....happy now?  Laughing

Neither happy nor unhappy. Nor do I care what your wife *would* want. That wasn't the question

Carry on

Edited by ChrisM 2013-05-24 12:17 PM

2013-05-24 2:15 PM

User image

I think you should get it for her, like you said, race day is all about you, and making her feel special would be nice. I think my wife would like it.
Also maybe get her a gift for putting up with you during training, maybe like a necklace or something along those lines. Or something she has wanted for awhile.

just my 2 cents
2013-05-24 2:39 PM
in reply to: cobblers

User image

Elite
I would have no problem getting it, but I have about 5 adults and 2 kids there to watch me, do I buy 7 tickets!!!!!!! ouch or can I get away with 2 and they can circulate in and out???
2013-05-24 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My wife would definately keep herself and the family occupied and pampered in her own way at Whistler.

She would much rather take the kids on the Zipline Adventure, Soak up at the Skandanavian Spa, and spend money in the village.

There is so much to do in Whistler that your (at least my) SO could keep themselves busy for a full week and not even realize they are there for a race.
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/index.aspx

In my opinion, this location is one of WTC's best decisions.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-05-24 3:54 PM
2013-05-24 4:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by lifejustice

My wife would definately keep herself and the family occupied and pampered in her own way at Whistler.

She would much rather take the kids on the Zipline Adventure, Soak up at the Skandanavian Spa, and spend money in the village.

There is so much to do in Whistler that your (at least my) SO could keep themselves busy for a full week and not even realize they are there for a race.
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/index.aspx

In my opinion, this location is one of WTC's best decisions.

Good points, I've researched all there is to do there since we are spending a week plus in BC afterwards, rafting, hiking (or shuffling), etc.. It's just her, no family/friends. I plan on sending her to Skandinave Spa (if she wants it) for a massage on race day or another day. But she doesn't like to shop and isn't likely to go ziplining or jetboating or rock climbing all by herself. She is actually planning on volunteering if there is a position she likes, so race day is mostly about the race.

My question is not realyl wht is there for her to do to keep her busy while I am doing the IM. I am certain she could find 100o things to fill her time, and anter 20 years I know the big one would probably relaxing in a comfortable place with a good book. Question I have is whether the VIP perks something that other people have done and found helpful. Those that have done them seem to have thought them worth it.

My wife has not asked for things to do, or for VIP or for anything. Again, no offense, don't really care what your wife would want to do

Edited by ChrisM 2013-05-24 4:27 PM
2013-05-24 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
I called my wife my "sherpa" after I read this thread earlier.....I've been hiding here in the closet on my lap top for 4 hours.

2013-05-24 4:56 PM

User image

I called my wife my "sherpa" after I read this thread earlier.....I've been hiding here in the closet on my lap top for 4 hours.

LOL, well you don't call them that to their face!
2013-05-24 8:27 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
I posted the cost since I'm guessing 80% of readers were intrigued and I would rather they all spend the 5 minutes it took me to find it training instead of repeating my effort.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM VIP passes. anyone done that for their sherpa? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Has anyone done IM Cozumel?

Started by Alphamale
Views: 1610 Posts: 22

2013-03-15 12:28 PM KSH

Anyone doing IM NZ

Started by leftrunner
Views: 572 Posts: 3

2013-03-01 9:33 AM japarker24

Anyone done the Western Australian IM?

Started by Sairey37
Views: 884 Posts: 8

2012-10-15 3:15 PM metafizx

Has anyone done an IM with the K-swiss K-Ona

Started by hromero
Views: 1159 Posts: 8

2012-01-10 4:19 PM hromero

Anyone doing Soma 1/2 IM in Tempe?

Started by COgirl
Views: 668 Posts: 5

2004-08-05 6:43 PM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 16, 2010
author : PatriciaDawn
comments : 3
I decided that completing a triathlon would be the perfect celebration of reaching my goal and losing 83% of my excess body weight by dropping 230 pounds.
date : June 10, 2008
author : shadoweloc
comments : 7
I was nervous. The water was cold. The cones defining the course were so far away. When the whistle blew for my wave, I waded in slowly to let everyone else pass me.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
comments : 0
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?