General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tube or tubeless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-24 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Subject: Tube or tubeless
I'm going to upgrade my road bike soon and will be facing the option of going tubeless.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

jpf

2013-05-24 2:20 PM
in reply to: jpf5911

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Tube or tubeless
The pro's are that you get the benefit of tubeless tires... pinch flats are eliminated, you can use fix a flat to get you back in, no gluing, etc.
The con's are (very) limited wheel and tire selection, and they'll be slower than a good tubular or clincher when it comes to race tires.

I don't think the (road) cycling world has come to the point where tubeless makes sense *yet... but that's just my opinion.
2013-05-24 7:43 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
We usually agree, but this time... not so much...

Tubeless is definitely faster than a clincher (even with a latex tube), and in terms of road feel and handling, they are quite superior as well. Another major benefit is if you use a small amount of sealant when installing them, you will rarely get a flat.

There's actually quite a few manufacturers making both wheel and tires, so there are lots of options. The big drawback is that the LBS will more than likely not have any in stock, but need to order them. Always get an extra to keep when you order...
2013-05-26 4:53 PM

User image

Colorado
2013-05-27 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Split the difference. Ride clinchers in training, and tubeless in competition. Ride the tubeless a couple of times in training to get used to them. Carry a spare inner tube at all times. The tubeless should give you near tubular quality (the best) without a great loss of repair time or weight penalty carrying a spare tubular tire.
2013-05-28 5:47 PM
in reply to: delosh

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Thanks for the comments.

Lot's of good info on those blog posts.

Sounds like the tubeless have some performance positives, but suck to mount the first time.

Not sure which way I'll go yet, but this helped.

jpf

2013-05-28 6:48 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Hmm... I don't know about "suck to mount the first time"... Gently soap the tire and it'll slide onto the rim in seconds, then you need enough air pressure to pop the bead into the place, a pump won't work, but a compressor or a Co2 takes care of it. And that's about it. I'll mount the tubeless much faster than it takes to mount some clinchers... (Conti HomeTrainer comes to mind...)
2013-05-28 7:29 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by audiojan

We usually agree, but this time... not so much...

I admit I haven't kept up very close with tubeless road tires... do they make a "real" race tire (or wheel) now?

Maybe I'm just old fogey on this
2013-05-28 8:22 PM

User image

Colorado
I've only used the Hutchinson Fusion 2s and now the Fusion 3s, and it's not at all a problem to mount them, provided you don't mind the minor inconvenience of going to a gas station or using a CO2 cartridge to seat the tire the first time. Super easy if you do that. Now if you try to seat a tire the first time using a hand pump or wimpy little home compressor? Yeah, pain in the butt.

Also keep in mind that you put these tires on and they don't need to come off again again you've worn them out and they need to be replaced. (I've never had to replace one from damage, only from using up their mileage.) So the minor inconvenience of seating the tire the first time is something that you do very infrequently, and it isn't nearly as inconvenient as having to change out tubes, especially out on the road in the middle of a ride.

Originally posted by jpf5911

Thanks for the comments.

Lot's of good info on those blog posts.

Sounds like the tubeless have some performance positives, but suck to mount the first time.

Not sure which way I'll go yet, but this helped.

jpf
2013-05-29 4:00 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

I admit I haven't kept up very close with tubeless road tires... do they make a "real" race tire (or wheel) now?

Maybe I'm just old fogey on this

They certainly do make real race wheels and tires. Hutchinson Fusion 3 (or even more so Hutchinson Atom) are great tires for racing. At there's a handful of manufacturers making tubeless race wheels, although I'll give you that... the offer is not nearly as wide as for a standard clincher and they will be special order from almost anywhere.... You're not going to walk into a shop and impulse buy a set of race wheels (maybe that's a positive though..)

... and old fogey... I do believe I'm racing at least one AG above you, so maybe this old fogey just stumbled upon it..
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tube or tubeless Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TubeLESS race tires

Started by millarg
Views: 1321 Posts: 4

2011-02-23 9:14 PM Northern ivy

tubeless tires

Started by trirun26
Views: 1033 Posts: 4

2010-08-08 4:36 PM trirun26

Tubeless clinchers?

Started by ColdRingo6
Views: 981 Posts: 7

2008-09-23 8:06 PM RickLapinski

Tubes, tubes, tubes

Started by sixjester
Views: 993 Posts: 3

2008-07-01 4:52 PM briderdt

replacement tubes

Started by parrj
Views: 1315 Posts: 18

2005-03-20 1:36 AM kentiger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 2
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.