General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring White Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring White Lake International Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elizabethtown, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 52/206
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Drove down the night before and checked-in to the Quality Inn in Whiteville. Got a good night's sleep and woke up bright an early. The car was packed already, so all we had to do was get dressed and hop in. We rolled into the FFA center pretty early and got a great parking spot. I ate breakfast in the car, then went to pick up my packet, get marked, and pick up my chip while Emily stayed in the car with the heat on. As I approached the dining hall, I could see the chop on the lake. It looked pretty rough, but manageable. I had realized on the drive down, that I had forgotten the straw for my aero bottle, so I stopped off at the IOS table to pick up a new one, and went back to the car. I mixed my drink for the bike, lubed my chain, set my gears, and went over to transition to get setup. I still had a long wait before my wave. I am normally in one of the first, but SetUp had the 25-29ers started next to last with along with the 50 and older crowd. I did a little bit of dynamic stretching to warm up, and just tried to keep warm.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretching and shivering.
Swim
  • 32m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The washing machine was definitely on. We were all swimming over each other and being grabbed left and right. The wind was creating quite a chop, and we were swimming directly into it for the first 500 meters. I like to train in chop. I know too many people who only go to the lake on good days, and they tend to do poorly in races with choppy swims. There were a lot of people in this boat at this race. I on the other hand, was ready. I found a comfortable pace and was soon passing people from the wave that started 5 minutes in front of us. When we hit the turn buoy at the 500 meter mark, there was a big bottle neck. I decided that instead of waiting, I would push through. This worked out well, and I had clear water for a bit. I had also passed a few people from the wave 10 minutes in front of me. I felt great, and was sighting well. On the way to the next buoy, I noticed a couple of blue caps, which were from the wave 15 minutes ahead of us! I was having a great swim. I rounded the final buoy, made a few more passes, and climbed the ladder to the dock. I stripped the wetsuit while running, and passed another couple of guys on the way to transition. My swim was slightly slower than normal. At Belews, I went sub-30. With the chop, I was expecting to take longer, and told Emily to look for me around 32 minutes. My prediction was pretty good. Later, I found out that a bunch of people got out of the water early or cut the buoys, because they could not handle the swim. Yes, it was cold; Yes, it was choppy; but DQing in the swim shows a major lack of preparation.
What would you do differently?:

Just get more experience in the water. I love to swim, but I'm still relatively new to it, and have not yet developed my speed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

I was feeling great after a pretty good swim. I made fairly quick work of transition, but I did have a bit of difficulty with my wetsuit when it got stuck on my heels. I managed to free it quickly and the rest of transition was pretty routine. Bike mount went well, and I got up to speed pretty quickly.

Just practice more. My transitions are strong, but they could always be faster.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 30s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 20.88 mile/hr
Comments:

While setting up my transition area, I discovered that my bike computer was not working. I was not thrilled about this, but there wasn't anything I could do at that late stage, so I decided to go by feel. When I got out on the course, I got up to speed and settled into a good cadence in my aero position. After a couple of miles, There was a noticeable headwind, and after a couple of miles it picked up. I was having to work hard, but I was maintaining what I assumed to be a good speed and not getting passed, expect by one guy who was all "aeroed out" on a bike that probably cost more than my car, and some chick who didn't stay in front of me long. After about 12 miles or so, we turned, and the headwind was gone. It was time to put in some work and make up time. When I made the turn back toward the lake, I got a sweet tailwind that helped propel me onward. I also made the pass that bumped me to 4th place in my age group. I felt really good about my nutrition plan for this race. It wasn't much, just an aero bottle of HEED and a flask of Hammer Gel. I finished the HEED and took two hits off the flask. It was just about the perfect amount of calories. Overall, the bike went very well. I came off knowing my average was at least 20 mph, based on time, and my legs still felt great.

Double check the bike computer the day before the race, and have extra batteries.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

T2 is always one of my big strengths. I have made passes in T2 before that are never reversed. T2 at this race went perfectly. I did everything I needed, but no more. I rode to the line with my feet out. I hopped off without losing a shoe, which is a first for me at White Lake, and ran straight to the rack. I slid the bike under, dropped the helmet, slid on the shoes, and grabbed my hat and number.

No complaints here. One of the faster T2s in the race.
Run
  • 44m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run feeling great. No discomfort anywhere. This was pretty much the case for the first half of the run. At the turnaround, I started to feel a little soreness in my left quad and the day had warmed up significantly. To help replace electrolytes, I drank HEED and three of the aid stations. My quad loosened up some as I ran and I found a good pace that I was able to keep until the end. I was really glad the cross the finish line.

While the amount of calories I consumed on the bike was good, I needed more electrolytes for the run, so I should increase this in the future. I felt really good about the run overall. This was my fastest 10K in a triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Food, and sitting on a bench.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual.

Event comments:

Great race, great venue, the added challenge from the cold and wind made it more fun in my opinion. Planning to be back in September for more!

Last updated: 2012-12-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 60/206
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4 Full Suit
Course: Triangular course beginning at one dock and finishing at the other. Each side of the triangle was 500 meters.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:30 | 27.96 miles | 20.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 66/206
Wind: Strong
Course: One loop around White Lake and the surrounding area. No hills, mainly flat, with only a couple of turns. The pavement was good for the most part, but the section on the back side of the lake is terrible. I always lose speed there due to the pavement.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:40 | 06.21 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 56/206
Course: Out and back along 53 and 701. Flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-24 5:43 PM

Haw River, NC
Subject: Spring White Lake International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring White Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spring White Lake International Triathlon

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1099 Posts: 1

2013-05-05 6:05 PM La Tortuga

Spring White Lake International Triathlon

Started by qrkid
Views: 1608 Posts: 7

2013-05-06 6:19 AM colinphillips

White Lake International Triathlon

Started by jlhoward
Views: 1335 Posts: 2

2012-09-10 7:53 PM d00d

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by FeManAZ
Views: 1575 Posts: 1

2009-09-18 12:52 PM FeManAZ

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 1535 Posts: 1

2009-09-13 10:26 PM canadarn2001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.