General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Temperature for Wetsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-27 8:17 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Subject: Water Temperature for Wetsuit
I've searched that sight but I can't really seam to find any thread on what water temp people believe you should have a wetsuit. I'm doing my first Tri next week(Sprint) and it's been really cold up here in WI this spring. I swam my first open water swim this morning water temp 60 degrees. Needless to say it was a bit chilly. I'm a little worried about panicking next week on the swim given that it's my first event. I'm very comfortable in the pool with the short distance but worried about the temperature/open water element. It's the Green bay Triathlon so it's in in a man made lake but I'm sure it will be very cold given the weather outlook for this week.

I guess what I'm getting at is should I make the investment in the wetsuit for next weekend? Thanks for the recommendations in advance.

Nussy

2013-05-27 8:36 PM
in reply to: Nussy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Water Temperature for Wetsuit
You can wear a wetsuit up to and including 78 degrees f. Generally people will choose to wear one if at all possible because they also make you faster. If you do buy a wetsuit you will probably get plenty of use out of it if you race a lot in Wisconsin.

Can you swim without a wetsuit in 60 degree water? Sure, but it won't be pleasant!
2013-05-27 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
At 60 degrees I would definitely opt for a wetsuit. If there is a local shop you can rent one from, that might be your best bet for next weekend's race. Many shops will apply some or all of the rental fee toward the purchase of a suit if you decide to buy one afterwards for future races (or training).
2013-05-27 9:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Even the Elite draft legal races allow wetsuits up to 68 degrees, and it's 78 for age group, as has been stated......at 60, yeah, get a wetsuit.  You'll be really cold without one and, as has been mentioned, you'll be faster with it.  At the very least, you don't want to be the person without one competing against those who have them.....you can't win that one.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-05-27 9:32 PM
2013-05-30 10:01 AM

User image

I'm glad this came up! This will also be my first tri and I was curious what the consensus was on wetsuits. My swim trainer said that she would punish me if I wore a wetsuit for a 400 meter swim. According to her, a wetsuit only saves you about 10 seconds per 100 meters, so the time saved on the swim will be more than offset by the amount of time needed to get out of the wetsuit... which seems to make sense. That said, I'm not a very strong swimmer and will probably spend more time in the water than most and I'd really rather not freeze my a** off ha.
2013-05-30 10:24 AM
in reply to: Shepherd25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Shepherd25 I'm glad this came up! This will also be my first tri and I was curious what the consensus was on wetsuits. My swim trainer said that she would punish me if I wore a wetsuit for a 400 meter swim. According to her, a wetsuit only saves you about 10 seconds per 100 meters, so the time saved on the swim will be more than offset by the amount of time needed to get out of the wetsuit... which seems to make sense. That said, I'm not a very strong swimmer and will probably spend more time in the water than most and I'd really rather not freeze my a** off ha.

If you practice getting your suit off that is absolutely false.  I watch races where athletes are stepping out of their wetsuits while they are putting their helmet and sunglasses on. By the time they are buckled up the only extra time they need is to throw their wetsuit in a bin.

2013-05-30 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
At 60 degrees I wouldn't go without a wetsuit and I am a very strong swimmer. The time you save will more than offset the time it takes to get it off in T!. For most people that would be the case even over a short distance unless you never practiced getting out of the thing.

2013-05-30 10:59 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
If it's wetsuit legal I'm wearing one.
2013-05-30 11:23 AM

Regular
Seal Beach
I have never worn a wetsuit except to surf. I've raced open water my whole life. I train in 53-58 degree water, coldest I've raced in was 51.. and I coated myself in vasoline. Worst was the catalina swim.... 21 miles in 55-59 degrees... English channel in a couple years will be worse.. may go for the triple crown with the Manhattan island swim... that's warmer, just nasty water.
2013-05-30 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Shepherd25

I'm glad this came up! This will also be my first tri and I was curious what the consensus was on wetsuits. My swim trainer said that she would punish me if I wore a wetsuit for a 400 meter swim. According to her, a wetsuit only saves you about 10 seconds per 100 meters, so the time saved on the swim will be more than offset by the amount of time needed to get out of the wetsuit... which seems to make sense. That said, I'm not a very strong swimmer and will probably spend more time in the water than most and I'd really rather not freeze my a** off ha.

(Edit) your swim trainer is training for different types of races. They have all day to take off a wetsuit so they don't have to get good at it. Plus they can expend all their energy on the swim as nothing follows it. The wetsuit will take less energy to swim in than without if it fits right.

If it takes you more than 10-15 seconds total to get out of the wetsuit, you need to practice a couple more times.

If the water is wetsuit legal and the swim is over about 200 yards, wear a wetsuit, it'll be faster.

That said, I bought a sleeveless for water over 70 degrees because I do tend to get a bit warm on long swims that warm.

Full sleeved for me below 70.

Edited by DanielG 2013-05-30 12:49 PM
2013-05-30 12:53 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Don't forget , the cold wont just affect you while you are swimming but your teeth will still be chattering for the majority of the bike ride too. get a wetsuit - it will make your day a more pleasant experience!

2013-06-01 2:26 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Thanks all for the advice. Ordered an xterra wetsuit Wednesday with overnight delivery. Unfortunately they didn't ship it until Thursday....and then of course FedEx didn't deliver it Friday due to weather. Tried to escalate with them last evening with no success. So I guess I'm swimming without t tomorrow. Lows overnight in the 40's. high mid 60's. guess that's what I get for waiting so long. hopefully tomorrow goes better then the rest of this week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Temperature for Wetsuit Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Max water temperature for wetsuit swim?

Started by PantherPhan
Views: 2520 Posts: 7

2012-09-29 12:54 AM ktsdad

water temperature question/wetsuit

Started by jaelinfunk
Views: 998 Posts: 11

2011-12-19 9:13 AM mmrocker13

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15487 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller

What water temperature do you wear a wetsuit?

Started by bryans0626
Views: 851 Posts: 5

2007-07-30 3:18 PM newLeaf

Wetsuit water temperature.

Started by Elly
Views: 1680 Posts: 7

2006-05-15 5:31 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : February 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
I find this is occurring after almost every workout. The pattern is always the same: freezing 10 min after a workout and 2 hours to warm up again. I am not sick. My diet is healthy.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!