Traverse City Track Club
46F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 28s
Overall Rank = 115/2013
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/177
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Normal breakfast of coffee, PB English muffin, Oatmeal and Banana. Originally told that the hotel shuttle leaves at 5am so we were ready to go then. Get downstairs and they say we can leave whenever so since it was 34 degrees out, we hung out in the lobby until around 6am and then took the shuttle to the start.
Event warmup:

It was a beautiful morning. The sun comes up at 6am up there so we weren't waiting in the dark. Got to the marathon start and just hung out for an hour trying to stay warm. I felt pretty relaxed except for hitting the porta potties more than a few times. After the national anthem, lined up and had no problem getting into the front 200-300 people or so. The half marathon starts at the opposite end of the course and runs toward you so there was none of those people to compete with at the start
Run
  • 3h 08m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great to start. Miles clicked off easily. Ditched the arm warmers and gloves before mile 3. Was surprised at the number of people ahead of me, even with clicking off 7:07 miles. Gels every 5 miles or so. Found a nice group of 7-8 folks all going at my 7:07-7:09 pace. They all fell off around mile 12 or so but I kept on pushing. Hit the halfway mark at 1:34:00 but I was measuring .1 long so I knew I didn't have a lot of wiggle room on the way back. Started getting knots in my right calf pretty early but it wasn't my typical calf cramp twing, just a tight knot on the inside of my calf.

Second half started well and went as planned. Got through mile 20 and still felt pretty good. That changed pretty quickly between 20 and 22. Pace was slowing a bit but it was getting harder to hold the pace. Mile 22-23 had me the most concerned as it was getting really hard to hold 7:15 pace and was worried about a big slowup over the next few miles. That was gut check time. Worked too f^%king hard to not fight through the last few miles even if the pain was terrible. Dug deep and HTFU for miles 22-24.

Breathed a huge sigh of relief when I hit the 2m to go mark and realized I had 17 minutes to cover 2 miles and still come in under 3:10. At this point I relaxed quite a bit and tried to take it all in as i knew at that point I would BQ unless I fell or cramped. Nice short strides and slowed the pace down to 7:20-7:30. Huge smiles from me the last mile. Saw the official clock reading 3:08 something and threw my arms up and let out a big damn "hell yeah, Boston baby" as I crossed.

Six months of hard hard work finally paid off for this BQ squeaker. May not actually get into Boston due to demand, but at least I knew I qualified!

What would you do differently?:

Probably use the Pfizinger 12/55 plan instead of the 18/55 plan. The 18 week plan put me into "burnt out" mode in late March, early April. Plan was very intense from the get go. Other than that nothing. Was perfect race for me and can't imagine doing any better.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, pepsi, banana, etc. After finishing I immediately felt terrible in my stomach (which is pretty normal for me). Against my better judgement, I had a huge bowl of Moomers cherry Ice cream (that didn't help my stomach). Went out to the finish to watch my wife finish and then headed back to the hotel. Stomach was still killing me. Had to go get pepto and was doing shots of it at Right Brain brewery in between beers. Finally, after 5 shots of pepto, stomach got closer to normal, just in time to pound it with sushi.

What makes the day even more special than a BQ is that today was also my wife and I 10th wedding anniversary. Yes, we ran a marathon to celebrate 10 years of being together. When we met, we were both over weight and out of shape recent college grads. Now we are on a mission to run a marathon in every state. This was state #6 for me and #7 for my wife.

Event comments:

This was just an awesome race in an awesome town. Everything was great and didn't have one complaint. The course is beautiful with lake views for 95% of the run and was "gently rolling" flat which kept all the leg muscles in use. Volunteers were great and the crowd support was surprisingly good. We were shocked at how beautiful this area of michigan was!

Last updated: 2013-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
03:08:28 | 26.2 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/177
Overall: 115/2013
Performance: Good
7:08 7:07 7:07 7:07 7:09 7:12 7:06 7:10 7:08 7:05 7:04 7:03 7:03 7:05 7:06 7:08 7:07 7:09 7:14 7:13 7:11 7:14 7:19 7:16 7:20 7:29
Course: Out and back almost completely along Lake Michigan. Very gentle rolling for the majority of the race. Not pancake flat at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-28 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: Bayshore Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bayshore Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bayshore Marathon

Started by jcarmody
Views: 1607 Posts: 4

2010-06-01 2:14 PM JenMcConnell

Bayshore Marathon

Started by Brickey
Views: 1959 Posts: 10

2009-05-28 11:50 AM Birkierunner

Traverse City State Bank Bayshore Marathon

Started by westmichtri
Views: 1243 Posts: 1

2008-07-03 9:06 AM westmichtri

Bayshore Marathon

Started by emd9702
Views: 1152 Posts: 1

2008-03-02 8:59 PM emd9702

Traverse City State Bank Bayshore Marathon (Run - 10k)

Started by expensivehobby22
Views: 1294 Posts: 4

2007-05-29 12:47 PM atl_runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area