REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 36m 11s
Overall Rank = 581/717
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 76/86
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0445 and go to Quassy at 0615. Had a breakfast of a banana. I don't usually eat much on race mornings due to nerves.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred yards before the start of the first wave.
Swim
  • 34m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

The long winter in New England wasn't kind to me. This was only the second time in the open water for me this season. My swim was below average. I'm usually a "middle of the pack" swimmer or so. I maintained my form, and I maintained my breathing over the off season. I need to regain my strength and consistency once again.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming prior to the first race of the season
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I didn't rush through transition letting my HR drop after the swim and to allow myself to feel more settled on the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 34m 36s
  • 25.68 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Usually a faster cyclist, but I'm admittedly a weak climber. My milage this year was limited due to life circumstances and getting hit by a car earlier in the season. All in all, I felt pretty well on the bike. I took in just the right amount of nutrition for the duration.

I did lose a couple of minutes to give my spare tube to another racer in need of one, and when I tossed my chain on a climb. I don't feel this was a "negative" but it did cost me a few minutes total.

More cycling ahead of the race and more hill work. I need to work on my weakness some more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Nothing really to report here. Just got my cycling stuff off and my shoes on. I had to swap my 910 for my wife's 310 since I flooded my 910 on Thursday and they couldn't get me a replacement in time.
Run
  • 1h 22m 1s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Started my run off with my GPS taking time to find a signal. I felt okay. Was averaging 10 minute/miles for the first two miles or so before we got into significant climbing. Unfortunately for me, I'm not a runner. I never will be. Usually after a couple of miles, my ankle gets very painful. I shattered it about 12 years ago and it never totally recovered and does not have a full range of motion. I've accepted that for triathlon, most of my runs will eventually grind to a walk with some running tossed in. It is what it is.

Try to be more consistent in run/walk intervals. I didn't really stick to my plan for a Galloway method. I underestimated the climbing at Quassy's run course. It wouldn't hurt to have a look at the run course (instead of just the bike course) prior to racing.
Post race
Warm down:

A little bit of stretching and some extra hydration.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running is always my limiting factor overall. I tend to do well on the swim and the bike, and then fall way back on the run due to reasons already mentioned. This year I'm behind on volume for a number of reasons. The long winter didn't help do me any favors (I'm not a fan of the cold). But my wife and I purchased a new home in December and got married just the week before the race. With getting settled in the house and planning a wedding, training took a back seat to life. I'm okay with my performance as the goal was completion (as it always is and will be with me). I recognize that this is a hobby for me and just something I do for fun.

Event comments:

Rev puts on a great race. The swag bag this year was a little light compared to the HIM they did last year at OOB. There were plenty of volunteers around the course and things were managed very well.

Last updated: 2013-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:42 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 74/86
Overall: 574/717
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra
Course: Clockwise triangle with significant sun glare on the second leg making sighting very difficult.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:36 | 25.68 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 72/86
Overall: 457/717
Performance: Average
Average HR was 180 BPM which is right about my normal HR for cycling. So nothing unusual.
Wind: Little
Course: Course had 2000' of elevation gain over the 25 miles. There were no real flats to be had on the course. You were either climbing or descending.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:22:01 | 06.2 miles | 13m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/86
Overall: 581/717
Performance: Average
Average HR of 180...which again is normal for me.
Course: Very hill course. Start on a short negative grade before climbing substantial hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-02 5:39 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev

Started by Ned42
Views: 1135 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 4:28 PM ratherbeswimming

Started by littycm
Views: 1088 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 5:41 PM littycm

Started by SunnyS
Views: 1397 Posts: 1

2011-08-03 2:03 PM SunnyS

Started by kj_tri
Views: 1393 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 8:47 AM kj_tri

Started by mll1605
Views: 1903 Posts: 3

2011-06-05 2:44 PM jmk-brooklyn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.