Other Resources The Political Joe » IRS Scandal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-03 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: IRS Scandal
I keep reading all of these reports on the IRS' targeting of conservative groups and I keep wondering, why are these political organizations allowed to have tax exempt status?

2013-06-03 11:37 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Subject: RE: IRS Scandal
I agree with you if they are just political organizations. Qualified non-profit groups are supposed to break out political activity expense and pay taxes on just that portion. There are a lot of non-profit groups that still maintain non-profit status even those they spend some of their money on political activity (i.e. labor unions, trade associations, media matters).

2013-06-04 7:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Originally posted by JoshR I keep reading all of these reports on the IRS' targeting of conservative groups and I keep wondering, why are these political organizations allowed to have tax exempt status?

Why are religious orgs?  (I always ask this when I drive past one of those multi-million dollar super churches.)

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-06-04 7:43 AM
2013-06-04 8:13 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Originally posted by JoshR

I keep reading all of these reports on the IRS' targeting of conservative groups and I keep wondering, why are these political organizations allowed to have tax exempt status?

Basically, they're non-profit. It's on the IRS site about whether you can claim tax exempt status:

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Other-Non-Profits/Self-d...
Self-Declarers Questionnaire for Section 501(c)(4), (5) and (6) Organizations

To help us better understand certain types of organizations that have claimed tax-exempt status without being recognized by the IRS as exempt, and to learn how they satisfy their exemption requirements, Exempt Organizations is asking more than 1,000 self-declared section 501(c)(4), (c)(5) and (c)(6) organizations to complete the Self-Declarers Questionnaire.

Only organizations that have received a letter from the IRS that includes a PIN, Password and Source ID can complete the questionnaire. You may also view/print a reference-only copy (below) prior to clicking on the link to complete the questionnaire.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » IRS Scandal Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IRS To Tea Party: Sorry We Targeted You And Your Tax Status Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by DanielG
Views: 8182 Posts: 95

2013-07-19 12:03 PM tuwood