HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 26s
Overall Rank = 72/171
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/28
Pre-race routine:

Got to the event at about 6:15am, got transition set up, did body marking and put on the timing chip, then talked with folks for the next two hours while waiting for my wave.
Event warmup:

Got into the water about 10 minutes before my wave and made sure to get my face and head in and swam about 5-7 strokes out, turned around, swam back to shore.
Swim
  • 26m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

A good swim! I felt like I spent an inordinate amount of time swimming into people, getting swam into, avoiding kicks to the face, etc.... and I definitely lost some time to occasionally having to wait for people as I'd get boxed-in in traffic, but overall it felt good, I stayed within my abilities and just cruised smooth.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I bettered my swim time from last year by 6+ minutes. I'd like to be faster, but I certainly cannot be unhappy with that, at all!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I'm quite happy with this transition. I came out of the water feeling strong, immediately started to run and pulled the cap and goggles off and started to work my way out of the top of the wetsuit as I ran up the hill to transition. I got to transition and quickly did the two-step stomp to get the legs of the suit off, threw it over the rack then put on helmet and bike shoes. I paused briefly to make sure that I hadn't forgotten anything because my last two events were so cold that I had to wear gloves and other gear and it felt weird to be done with transition so quickly. I grabbed the bike and started to run out of transition, then hit the mount line and did a running jump onto the bike and hit the pedals....

Not too much.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

... and as soon as I jumped onto the bike and hit the pedals, the first pedal stroke told me that my chain was off. I stopped, got off the bike and fixed the chain, then got back on and finally got started. I probably only lost 20-30 seconds, if that.

I was surprised by how comfortable the first lap felt, and even the first leg which is into the wind didn't feel bad at all, and then we turned and had cross & tail winds and it didn't take long for me to run out of gear on the bike. I could have probably increased my cadence a bit, but I was moving well and comfortably, so why mess with it, right? Then I hit the first hill.... man, I forgot what a bear this thing is. Steep. Small ring in front, biggest cog in the back, and unfortunately, I didn't think about which cassette I had on back until just now (lol!) so I only had 12-23 to handle it with. Spun up it as best I could, took most of it out of the saddle... then it was back to trying to hammer it. Bombed the downhills as fast as I could go. The second lap still felt pretty good, but I could start to feel a little fatigue in the quads and hip flexors toward the end of it. The last uphill sucked, but then I was at the top and on my way into T1 - and feeling TONS fresher than I did on this course last year while bettering my time for the bike by 5+ minutes.

What else?? Train more ;-)

I also see now that my avg cadence was WAAAY too low... I need to work on that. I'm a masher so I don't ever expect myself to hold the "ideal" of 90, but I should be closer to 85, for sure.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Again, I caught myself a little off guard with how little there was to do in T2 when I don't have to deal with cold weather gear, so I took a few extra seconds to do a mental double check, then took a couple of extra swigs of water from the water bottle I left in transition.... and away we go!

Just keep moving! I could probably shave 30 seconds here.
Run
  • 54m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I sucked. While I was 7 minutes faster than my time for the run last year, that's really more just a commentary on how bad last year was, hehe. I started off well, but I just faded. The legs were tired and hurt and I didn't have the mindset or HTFU to push through the hurt My PR for the 10k is 45:xx, so this is TERRIBLY slower coming off the bike, but I really need to get better at running off the bike. Of course, I haven't ridden the bike but two other times in the last two months, so that, I am sure, is a large part of it. In any case, though, I did walk twice, but only for about 100 yards each time... the rest of the time I kept a fairly consistent shuffle going, kept water in me, and over my head to stay cool, and actually smiled a lot. Last year was a Death March. This year hurt, but I had fun with it, even if my legs just didn't feel like they had much in them for much of it.

Gotta improve my ability to run off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and talked with all of the Team RWB people we had there... AWESOME turnout, and so great to meet new folks as well as see the familiar faces.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me.

Getting even with the course that kicked my butt last year is a thing of beauty. Setting a P.R. by almost 20 minutes? Priceless.

Event comments:

Love HFP events. They put on good races at good prices.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:39 | 1500 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 49/171
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro Full sleeve
Course: Two lap rectangle http://connect.garmin.com/activity/322012909
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:57 | 24.85 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/28
Overall: 54/171
Screwed up the Auto-Multisport (like I always do), so I don't have accurate Garmin data for the bike.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two loop course. Some head winds, some tail, lotta cross. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/322012920
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:01 | 06.21 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/28
Overall: 90/171
Performance: Below average
1 7:55.2 1.00 7:55 2 8:21.6 1.00 8:22 3 9:11.5 1.00 9:12 4 9:12.7 1.00 9:13 5 8:36.2 1.00 8:36 6 9:03.5 1.00 9:04 7 1:46.0 0.24 7:28 8 :02.1 0.00 0 9 :01.1 0.00 0 10 :02.5 0.00 0
Course: An out and back with part of the run across some grass, then a couple of long stretches with no shade. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/322012928
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 1:02 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon

Started by flanag
Views: 1592 Posts: 9

2012-06-08 3:43 PM Aysel

Started by laurak11
Views: 1301 Posts: 3

2011-06-15 5:29 AM laurak11

Started by WUN734
Views: 1076 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:32 PM WUN734

Started by wallico
Views: 1391 Posts: 2

2011-06-06 2:24 PM ahohl

Started by apicek
Views: 1536 Posts: 5

2011-06-08 9:42 PM apicek
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
comments : 0
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.