General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leaking goggles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-17 4:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
Subject: Leaking goggles
Goggles and me don't get along. I've tried several types and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of treating the gasket with anything to seal them better. One pair only leaks when I rotate, right in the side yet I can put them on and lean over ane they stay suctioned on my face without the straps! I prefer the mask type goggles which may be to wide for my face. The regular goggles irritate my eye sockets.

2006-07-17 6:31 AM
in reply to: #484305

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Leaking goggles

It can as simple as you haven’t found the right goggles for your type of face or you are not fitting them correctly. To learn if you are doing the latter right, do this: put the goggles on your face and push it with LIGHT pressure towards your eyes (don’t push it like you want to make your eyes pop out!), put the bands around your head and make sure the lower one is level or a bit above your ears and the second one above that one an inch or two. Then proceed to make sure the pressure of the goggles is evenly distributed. (Try to determine if you feel more pressure on one side of the head or the other. You want to feel it equal) Once everything is in place, you can use the straps to tight the goggles SLIGHLTY if necessary, if not you should be good to go. DON’T tight it so hard you are about to cut your head in half cuz that won’t stop the leaking.

2006-07-17 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
I tried about 6 different gogges that all leaked and I was getting discouraged, especially since I wear contacts. Then I tried the Aqua Sphere Seal XP and they are fantastic. They are sort of halfway between a regular goggle and a mask, so they may not irritate your eye sockets. They are comfortable, and I get no leaks at all, which helps my swimming because I can concentrate on my form instead of worrying about my goggles.
2006-07-17 7:53 AM

Regular
Blue Springs, Mo
Swedish goggles. They cost $3. You can't go wrong. And, if you're really "sensitive" (I was going to use another word here, but I sensored myself) you can get the TYR socket rocket 2.o- they're swedish goggles with the gaskets rubberized, which could help cushion when you get kicked in the face. They cost $6.

Stop wasting money on leaking $25 goggles. Serisouly
2006-07-17 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I bought a cheap pair of TYR 2.0 some 3 years ago because I could not find anything else and they turned out to be the best ones for me.  I tried the other brands for years but there was always a problem, either they leaked or they hurt my eyes.  The TYR goggles do not leak and do not hurt.
2006-07-17 8:26 AM

Elite
Laurium, MI
two thoughts.  Do you wet the goggles first?  I find that if I wet the seal before putting them on, that they seal better.  I also find when I do wet them, that I have to shake them a lot to get ALL the water out of the inside.  I've had quite a few "leaks" that turned out to be water along the seam between the goggle and the rubber getting squeezed into the eyepiece when I put it on.  I never notice it unless I turn my head to the right to breathe.

2006-07-17 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran

Where are you buying your goggles? 

I would suggest buying them from a swim store.  I went to a swim store and was able to try lots of different types of goggles on.......the salespeople were very helpful and fit me with the appropriate goggles for my face shape.  No leaks here! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leaking goggles Rss Feed