The Accel Group
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 16m 50s
Overall Rank = 6/50
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

This race is only a couple miles from my house, so it was nice to sleep in my own bed the night before a race for once! The weather's been pretty lousy around here lately, and I definitely haven't been feeling super motivated to train, so coming in my fitness definitely isn't the best and I'm 15 lbs over ideal race weight. But enough for excuses haha, on with the show. I had a ton of yardwork and stuff to do around the house Saturday, so I didn't really relax much. Had some lunch at B-dubs with friends and got packet pickup out of the way Saturday afternoon as well. I found out the run course was changed to a double out and back due to flooding on part of the intended run course. Got to bed early and slept well, and got up around 5:30 to head out to the race site. I set up transition quick and realized I forgot my helmet in my truck, so I headed back to get it and to leave my clothes in the truck since it looked like rain. I downed about 32 oz of perform since I don't like to drink a ton in shorter races, and had a gel about 10 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Didn't warmup, but then I rarely do.
Swim
  • 27m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very pleased with this effort, I've basically been swimming once every week or two, so I'll take it! Due to the course kind of being reshaped due to wind, rather than hugging the buoy line on the way out I straight-shotted it to the turn buoy, which saved a little distance, and kept tight on the buoy liine on the way back. The race staff lined the buoy line with colored swim noodles like Peregrine Tri used to do, and it made navigation easy. Still managed to screw it up somewhat though :p
What would you do differently?:

Push harder, I didn't know what to expect given lack of training though, so I went easy most of the way.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Pretty solid transition for the first tri of the year, a little slow getting my helmet on though, and I always wear socks so that slows me down obviously...

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 04m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Again pretty happy with this, I've only ridden about 300 miles so far this year. I did some major adjustments to my position though (lower in the front, more narrow in the shoulders) that probably accounted for a lot of my speed haha. I'm excited to race again when I'm well trained in this position. I did do a lot of strength and flexibility work over the winter as an enabler for the improved position. The first half was with the wind for the most part and felt pretty easy. I probably used too many matches on the second half though, probably hurt my run a little.

Train more, ease up a bit late in the bike...
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Made a mess of racking my bike and stupidly stood there putting my number belt on rather than doing it on the run, but not too bad time wise I suppose...

Address the above issues
Run
  • 42m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Really struggled to maintain pace on the run. This is not a difficult course, so I expected better, but got what I deserved for not working hard in training. Still happy I kept it under 7 min/mile. The middle 2 miles were mentally challenging, and I was passed by two people during that time. The course was probably 2 tenths of a mile long though.

Train more
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little, checked my results, grabbed a muffin and donut, packed up my gear, and waited for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really just came down to lack of training and lack of desire...but I think this race kind of lit the fire again. I've had a couple good workouts the last 2 days.

Event comments:

This race was a little more bare-bones than it was in the past (as Peregrine Charities Tri), but it's always a good time! Thanks to the great volunteers!

Last updated: 2013-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Good
Suit: blueseventy Reaction full
Course: Single out and back, although due to wind it was more crescent-shaped
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:57 | 24.85 miles | 23.27 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Loop course with an out and back section in farmland near the Waterloo airport. Rolling hills throughout but nothing too difficult.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:32 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Double out and back on park roads, with a short section on trails. This was due to flooding on trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-11 5:06 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Accel Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-12-11 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4773709

User image

Subject: RE: Accel Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great race for you! Find it crazy that you hadn't been on the bike much! You are super fast! I was thinking of adding this race to my early season this year because I am doing the Florida IM in November and need to get a few races in before I hit it hard. I won't be going crazy on the training as I don't peak until November for Florida but I should have a solid Olympic-distance base by this time.
Would you recommend this race? What is the actual course like? Biking is my weakness so hoping for around 1:16 on the bike. If I can avearge 19 mph I will be okay with it.

GREAT JOB!
2013-12-19 4:10 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Thanks, it's all about what you look for in a race. If you like low-key races with decent competition, this is a good one. If you like big event-type races you'd probably be a little disappointed. I personally really enjoy it. The level of difficulty mostly depends on the wind, the bike has a few hills, but nothing terribly difficult. It is mostly in exposed farm country though, so if the wind is blowing hard it can be tough going. Run is mostly flat.
2013-12-28 3:26 PM
in reply to: ersnyder3654

User image

Originally posted by ersnyder3654

Thanks, it's all about what you look for in a race. If you like low-key races with decent competition, this is a good one. If you like big event-type races you'd probably be a little disappointed. I personally really enjoy it. The level of difficulty mostly depends on the wind, the bike has a few hills, but nothing terribly difficult. It is mostly in exposed farm country though, so if the wind is blowing hard it can be tough going. Run is mostly flat.

Thanks. Nope, I'm from Iowa so low-key races are my favorites. Hy-Vee has gotten a bit too "over-hyped" for me over the past couple
of years. I think they are practically giving away Nationals qualifying slots so I am hoping to try some different races to check out some
new venues within the state. Thanks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accel Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by vgb
Views: 1939 Posts: 3

2008-07-02 12:13 AM van_paulus

Started by tcovert
Views: 3116 Posts: 6

2008-07-03 8:48 AM Slahmmer

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1807 Posts: 2

2007-09-12 6:30 PM MikeB

Started by van_paulus
Views: 1910 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 11:25 AM ChrisM

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2173 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.