General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any way to make bike helmet more comfortable Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-19 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: Any way to make bike helmet more comfortable
I don't remember the exact model of my helmet by I know its a Gyro. Its a basic entry level helmet, got if for something like $40 at sports authority. The only thing it came with was 4 oval foam padding things that I placed in the helmet. Placed one in the front, back and each side. Its not the most uncomfortable thing in the world, but I just had my longest ride so far which was 1' 40" and it was starting to annoy me a bit. Nothing crazy, but just not super comfortable. Anybody have any interesting ways to make the helmet sit better or a way to add more padding but still leave plenty of room for ventilation, or does everybody just use those foam pieces and thats it. My only thing would be that I still would want as much ventilation as possible. Thanks in advance

2013-06-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-19 12:51 PM
in reply to: tkos

Expert
Ontario Canada
Subject: RE: Any way to make bike helmet more comfortable
Yes try a crap load of different ones on, I am sure eventually you will find one that fits comfortably, like the other poster said,
most manufactures helmets will fit slightly different, it just a matter of finding the one that fits you, A good case for hitting the local LBS
where you should be able to try on some different models not like picking one up from the local superstore or wherever where you
pick up a boxed model off the shelf and hope it fits well..
2013-06-19 3:32 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I had to wear a Giro helmet for 3 years. I wore the Atmos and the Ionos (two of the top of the line ones). I think they just don't fit my head and I've spoken to many others that had the same experience. I now have permanent indentations in my forehead.

This year I was able to buy my own helmet and I bought a Bell Gage (I think that is the model). The Bell leaves some marks when I take the helmet off, but at least they aren't permanent. It's been 6 months since I've worn a Giro and I still have those indentations.

So I guess I'm saying, try different brands. And I know a lot of people complain about the Giro.

2013-06-19 3:52 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Historically, Bell tends to be more "round", Giro less so, Specialized more "oval". Of course there is also variation between models within a brand. I don't know much about other brands. I've tried on one Limar (the Ultralight), and it fit my head almost perfectly -- and I've got a fairly oval head.

When trying on helmets, pay attention to where the helmet is resting. If it feels like it's hitting a point on your forehead and a point on the back of your head, and can rock side-to-side with little effort, it's too round for your head and you need to go to a different model that is more oval. DON'T try to make this up with extra pads. Conversely, if it feels like it's resting on a point on either side of your head, and can rock forward and backward with little effort, it's too oval for your head and you need to try something more round.

2013-06-20 7:52 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Regular
Levittown, PA
Thanks everybody. Sounds like I need to just go and try on a ton of helmets and see which one fits best. I originally bought the cheap Gyro because it was for my first tri and I wasn't sure if I wasn't going to enjoy it and didn't want to spend a ton of money up front. (unlucky) for me, I fell in love with the sport and now get to drain my bank account buying all kinds of other stuff to support my habit

2013-06-20 8:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
No problems with my Giro Ionos. I also wear a Headsweats "do-rag".
2021-07-04 5:33 AM
in reply to: 0

There are a lot of ways to make your helmet comfortable but I think stretching is the most suitable way to make your helmet compatible with your head. I have been using this technique every time I found any problem in the helmet related to its fitness.

Edited by georgeharry12345 2021-07-04 5:34 AM
2021-07-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: georgeharry12345

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I know this is a web traffic plug, but this was one of the funniest responses I've seen.  Do I stretch my helmet, or my head?? 

2021-07-04 3:32 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Expert
lake forest, California

I think they're referring to a good full body stretching program which of course always make your helmet more comfortable

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any way to make bike helmet more comfortable Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-shorts more comfortable then regular bike shorts on trainer

Started by Klaussprecht
Views: 1702 Posts: 18

2010-11-06 5:52 PM Klaussprecht

What makes a good cycling helmet?

Started by mdiet22
Views: 1170 Posts: 11

2010-07-10 6:58 PM ctrapper24

I am looking for a comfortable Tri Bike

Started by popit
Views: 2362 Posts: 13

2009-05-26 12:09 PM Silver_wlf

FINALLY!!! Comfortable on my new bike

Started by LSU25
Views: 972 Posts: 2

2008-10-26 4:18 PM chosenprovidence

Seat question: how comfortable is comfortable?

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 1403 Posts: 15

2007-08-14 1:19 PM Timo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : February 24, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How much time savings can you expect over the course of a triathlon by using an aero helmet?
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Virtually weightless and vented to the hilt, the Limar 907 is almost transparent to the wearer. Additionally, the Limar 907 just looks cool.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.