General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition on the Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Subject: Nutrition on the Run
I'm a fairly experienced marathoner and have my nutrition nailed down for a stand alone race. In average weather conditions, I'll take a Hammer Gel every 4.5 miles and drink only water. I may or may not take the 5th gel, depending on how my race is going. I alternate caffeinated with non-caffeinated options.

I'm dialing in my nutrition on the bike as I train for my first Ironman (Lake Placed on July 28th). I'm taking in a mixture of Perpetuem (400 cal per bottle that will last anywhere from 60-90 minutes), Hammer Gels, and the occasional Snickers (that I'll have in my special needs bag should I feel like one). My pre-ride breakfasts usually total around 800 cal. I feel well nourished on the bike and have completed multiple rides in the 80-95 mile range. This Saturday, I'll ride around 105-110 and do not anticipate any concerns given how well my nutrition is going.

But for the race ... should I plan my run nutrition any differently? My current plan is to carry a handheld with 5 Hammer Gels. I'll refill the handheld (water) with water as it drains and drink according to my normal routine for a marathon. I've used S-Caps in the past on particularly hot days and feel comfortable with working them into the mix if I need to.

Is this a short-sighted run plan? That's only 450 calories for the run. It's what I normally do for a marathon, but I'll be more depleted at the start than what is typical. I don't want to run with Perpetuem ... Hammer Gels are about all I've can tolerate without developing GI issues while running. I've only done one brick run following a long ride (6 miles) and felt fine. I completed a 17 miler this past Sunday with only one gel and can usually go for as long as 15 without any water or nutrition (unless it's hot/humid).

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I'll be around 185 (6'2") on race day. 46 years old if that matters.

2013-06-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Nutrition on the Run
Stick to whatever has worked for you on the run in races and in training. If you're still worried, I would suggest experimenting over your next couple long runs with some of the nutrition that will be on the run course (can be found in the Athlete's Guide). Usually bananas, chicken broth, potato chips, Perform, cola, etc. That way you'll know what you can stomach if you're in dire need of calories. At a minimum you should put extra Hammer Gels in your special needs bag (run).

Edited by devilfan02 2013-06-25 4:09 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition on the Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nutrition on the run?

Started by chris-alfonso
Views: 1319 Posts: 19

2012-06-28 2:50 PM AtlantaBill

Hydration/Nutrition during HIM run - Gear Question

Started by hoffsquared
Views: 1200 Posts: 6

2011-10-21 12:10 PM hoffsquared

Nutrition for HIM run?

Started by CGunz
Views: 2019 Posts: 17

2009-05-27 11:28 AM Baowolf

Mixing nutrition brands from bike to run

Started by kellc09
Views: 952 Posts: 10

2007-06-14 9:49 AM markg72

Long run nutrition question Pages: 1 2

Started by us50090
Views: 2197 Posts: 26

2006-01-24 5:15 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : December 4, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on strength training, juicing, Ironman run nutrition issues, getting more protein as a lacto-ovo vegetarian and whey protein usage.
date : August 20, 2008
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : February 18, 2008
Discussions on portable foods, mixing your own cereal, sugar in yogart, diet soda, benefits to caffeine and nutrition on the run and bike.

date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : October 3, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.