World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 43m 55s
Overall Rank = 1412/
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 25/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:20. Had my usual almond butter on toast and 1/2 cup of coffee. We were leaving right after the race so had to get a few things together while my husband took it all to the car. He got back to the room and says to me can you take these last few things down...I thought Really? Are you kidding me right now? Grabbed the stuff and took it down, I got to the car opened the door and waiting in the car was my youngest Justin, his girlfriend Maria and her daughter Gabi, they drove all night to get to the race. I slightly teared up and and was soooo excited to see them! We left shortly after that and headed to the park
Event warmup:

We had looked over the course the day before with Tony, so I felt good about what my plan was, had a bottle of Gatorade and tried to get down a gu but I get so nervous that I have trouble eatting. Got a call from Justin who had stayed back in our room that I forgot my hammer mix in the fridge and did I need it, yikes! Yes....so was doing a little freaking out until he arrived, Tony had come over by my bike which helped to pass the time until Justin got there. I got in for a quick swim and picture with Tony and it was time to get in line.

Swim
  • 51m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very disappointed with this swim I was expecting 40 minutes, but I just couldn't get it together for the first 400 or so yards. I have trouble with all the people around me I didnt feel panicked just couldnt get a rhythm. I felt better after that but still not great. I also got swam over shortly after the final turn, I thought I can't believe people do this and was ready to scream but that would all be wasted energy :) plus there was a lot of seaweed in the mouth, on the hands around the neck it didn't weird me out it was just annoying
What would you do differently?:

Practice more open water swimming with a group.
Transition 1
  • 05m 56s
Comments:

The transition for this race is longer than usual. They had wetsuit peelers that help makes it easier, I got my helmet and shoes on, still am working on clipping shoes onto the bike before hand had a gu and was off.
Bike
  • 4h 22m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 12.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I was doing ok until what would be the first of a dropped chain at mile 10:( I was in a panick and could not get it back on so 10 long minutes later and totally covered in grease i was off. Then We were coming into the final stretch I was at mile 42 and yepp I dropped my chain again this time it only took 2 minutes :) The best was the three bigger down hills where i was able to get up to 42 mph i will need to work on these too its a little scary but i probably could have gotten up to 50-55 but was worried about crashing. I guess afteer seeing people walking their bikes i am happy to say I was able to make all the climbs.

Rode more hills and figure out how to calm my stomach so I can take in more nutrition.
Transition 2
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

At this point I was dead, and needed more nutrition, but didn't take the time to get focused.

Stopped, gathered myself and eaten SOMETHING!
Run
  • 3h 19m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say about this run....although my time was ridiculously slow I had a blast! I met people from Finland and Brazil and had some great conversation with others.

As i started out i noticed alot of people walking which surprised me, i thought I was the only person having issues up until this point. I heard that the heat index was 116 so we were all l looking for anything to help keep us cool, ice in the sports bra, down the shorts I also tucked in the back of my jersey so the ice could sit on my back to help cool me.I tried to run 2 cones walk 2 cones and it worked for a while but every time I tried to run I felt like I was going to throw up so I ended up doing a lot of walking. There was a girl Katie who I seemed to be with a lot and as we were finishing the first loop I saw her with her Dad, as she walked on he yelled to her don't give up now you've come too far, I told him we were about the same pace and I would make sure she finished, as we came into the first loop the sky's were getting dark and knew a storm was coming. At this point is where I saw Tony and he was looking strong! Very happy for him that he was doing so good! I kept pushing and sure enough the thunder wind lightning and torrentiall rain came. We were being told the race was called and I thought screw that Iam not stopping. The majority of the people in front of us just turned around and went back.....At this point I was running YEAH! With another girl and we both looked at each other and said we were going keep going that no one was gonna tell us we had to stop. This is when I ran into Katie again and we ended up walking the last 5 miles or so together,, I told her I would let her go ahead so I would be the last woman to finish and when I crossed the line she gave me a big hug and told me iif it wasn't for me she wouldn't of finished :) I was happy I was able to do that for her.

On this one nothing ...it was so worth it to experience all the conversations and the storm and helping another person to the finish line that I wouldn't of changed a thing!

On the next one.....again better nutrition and hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

My husband wrapped me in a towel and a rain coat while I tried to get some food down it was still pouring we got to the car and on came a blanket and the seat warmer, it's amazing how quickly the body goes from overheated to cold once you stop

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and the hills

Event comments:

Again despite my time I had a lot of fun and there are a lot great memories, I would have loved to do better time wise but then I would have missed out on all the good stuff, so I learned a huge lesson on this one that I didn't have before and that is if your not having fun, what's the point.

Last updated: 2012-12-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:24 | 2112 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/25
Overall: 1294/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Yes
Course: The course was a angled rectangle which I didn't realize until on the way back and went a little off course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:22:04 | 56 miles | 12.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/25
Overall: 1452/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was beautiful and hilly. I felt like it was harder than Madison.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:19:41 | 13.1 miles | 15m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/25
Overall: 1412/
Performance: Good
Course: Rough uneven at the start/loop point with 1 ridiculously huge curving hill and a rough stone finish
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-29 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

2013-06-29 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4791497

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse
JoAnne congrats on finishing the race. You did an amazing job hanging in there in the heat, humidity and the those thunderstorms on a very tough course. The bike was tough enough with all that climbing but the run was just insane with those two long steep hills. I was so happy to see you during the run but I felt so bad because I knew the storms were coming and you were still going to be out there. I was so happy to hear that you finished. You should be proud of yourself for not giving up and finishing despite them calling the race. I'm so proud of you as I'm sure all the Junkies are, you were awesome! I'm glad this wound up being a great experience for you I had a great time as well doing this race.
2013-07-01 1:26 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

NH
JoAnne, those conditions were brutal. You toughed it out, and that's the heart of a junkie. Great job.
2013-07-06 6:26 AM
in reply to: #4791497

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

What a great overall experience!!  It sounds like your race day began on one of the biggest notes possible.  Seeing your son show up completely unannounced had to have brought a huge mental boost to you.  That's a great race day surprise!

Your swim sounds like you were a little off, as stated, but remember you can't see all that well when sighting so whoever it was that came upon you at that corner probably was unable to see you because of the low profile in the water.  To be honest, I don't look for people when swimming, I feel for them.  Attempting to feel the water in front of me to sense the turbulence that comes from another athlete that's kicking.  Once I can feel this turbulence I determine if I should try to draft or pass them straight away.  And sometimes I come up on swimmers from other waves fast enough that I never have the chance to feel them.  In this case there's little to do but swim over them because I've come on them so quickly that I don't even know they are there until I smack them in one form or another.  Rest assured I don't do it on purpose.

Dropping your chain on the bike is bad enough, but 2 times SUCKS!!!  Hitting over 40 MPH on the bike sounds awesome too!  I doubt I'll be doing any races around here that will have me over 40 MPH anywhere soon.  I don't have the cycling ability or the gearing for that to occur.

Your run is the second best thing of the day.  Sure you didn't have a fast time but sometimes it's not about times.  You had the experience to meet people different than yourself and possibly help chance another persons perspective on how the race would unfold for them.  Helping other people is an award in and of itself and you get a big one for your final decision at the finishing line.  That was crazy unselfish behavior!  Props to you!!

Great race and a great human being!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by smagoon
Views: 1861 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 10:50 AM smagoon

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by steves_training
Views: 2738 Posts: 3

2010-09-21 1:10 PM steves_training

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by k.stuttle
Views: 1714 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 8:08 AM k.stuttle

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by marcag
Views: 2645 Posts: 5

2010-09-23 8:29 AM aquagirl

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by ferious
Views: 1892 Posts: 2

2010-09-19 7:37 PM JBougher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.