General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Louis 5150 Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Louis 5150 Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Innsbrook, Missouri
United States
Ultramax Sports
80F / 27C
Total Time = 1h 51m
Overall Rank = 119/150
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up late and was in a frantic. Luckily, I packed most everything the night before and picked up my race packet on Thursday. Ate my normal toast and peanut butter. It was about a 40 minute drive out there.
Event warmup:

Good round of stretching. Didn't quite have enough time to swim, but I was able to test the water ahead of time.
Swim
  • 11m 33s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

First ever open water swim and mass wave start. The flailing arms and chop was overwhelming. I was never comfortable AT ALL in the water. I need to learn to block it all out and just swim EXACTLY how I practice. That was some advice given to me before the race, but for some reason it just left my head. Heart Rate was SUPER high. Never got relaxed. Just breaststroked it all to get it over with.
What would you do differently?:

Swim my race. Duplicate what I do in training. Ignore the craziness of the whole thing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Had issues gaining my bearings coming out of the water and wasn't able to run. It was LONG run all uphill to the transition area. Walked the whole way to get my heartbeat down. Overall though, I was pretty quick with getting in and out.

Other than trying to recoup from such a terrible swim, it was pretty good.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 7s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Completely didn't realize the intensity of the hills in this area of MIssouri. HOLY CRAP! Serious hills. Totally took me by surprise and I wasn't prepared AT ALL. Didn't train in a way to be prepared for it. I've been doing mainly distance building.

Read about the course WAY ahead of time and figure out how to train. This is a VERY unforgiving course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Good T2. Could be faster if I would pull the trigger on some speed laces. Still went VERY well.

Nothing really. Speed laces is the only change.
Run
  • 32m 4s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, the hills kicked the crap out of me. Between the bike and run, I don't think I have every done this much work on hills. There was only one flat part for both the bike and run and it was within the first 5-7 miles of the bike.

Research the course again. DON'T EVER underestimate a course again. It was a seriously difficult course that was NEVER flat.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoyed the provided sponge and walked around the food tent and other vendors tents. I then went to transition to grab everything. Stretched out there and then packed up to head home. Didn't stay long because the family wasn't with me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being prepared mentally for the swim and also physically for the hills of the course. I definitely want to run this race again next year. Absolutely beautiful course.

Event comments:

I think this race was a serious shock to me and woke me up about this. Being my first open water swim, I realized I have A LOT more to learn and a LOT more mental prep to do for the rest of the races I have this year. I also am humbled by my training. I need to push my training a little bit harder. The hills of this course are SERIOUS! DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THEM! It's a very well run race, very fun, and very beautiful. This race will probably be on my list of races every single year. It's a fun race with serious challenge. Definitely a do not miss race if you live in the area.

Last updated: 2013-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:33 | 547 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Rectangular swim Counter Clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:07 | 18 miles | 17.13 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around the resort on State Roads. Very well marked with volunteers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:04 | 03 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Roads and trails through out the resort. Combination of gravel roads, paved roads, and grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-30 12:52 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Subject: St. Louis 5150 Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-06-30 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4791863

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: St. Louis 5150 Triathlon - Sprint Course
Congrats on your race!  I was there too although I was a volunteer, not a participant (I was the one yelling at everyone to mount your bikes after the blue lineSmile).  Nice to hear what the bike and run course are like since I'm considering doing the sprint myself next year.  Guess I'd better make sure I get in some hill training before next summer.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Louis 5150 Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Paul Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by silentcs42
Views: 698 Posts: 1

2012-08-21 12:19 PM silentcs42

St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Dg0113
Views: 1016 Posts: 1

2011-09-05 12:59 PM Dg0113

St. Paul Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by silentcs42
Views: 1183 Posts: 1

2011-08-21 5:39 PM silentcs42

St. Louis St. Patricks Day Parade Run

Started by mponder
Views: 1227 Posts: 1

2010-03-17 1:35 PM mponder

Lake St. Louis, Long Course Olympic Distance

Started by STLnewb
Views: 1403 Posts: 2

2009-08-25 3:56 PM ABQkid
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : January 1, 2008
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.