General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 19m 5s
Overall Rank = 119/152
Age Group = Male 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, grabbed 2 english muffins w/ peanut butter and coffee and set off. Got set up with 45 minutes of time to the start.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swim 100-200m, then just generally horsed around in the water to get comfortable.
Swim
  • 34m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim for me. I found a pair of feet that were moving at my normal swimming pace so I was able to draft off of him and catch a breath. Kept trying to pass him and move up to a different pair of feet but never quite could and would drop back behind him. Rinse, Repeat for the remainder of the swim. Wound up sprinting on the final 200m and showed up in T1 with my heart pounding.
What would you do differently?:

Realize earlier on that I wasn't going to be able to pass the guy I was drafting off of and find anyone else and just hang out behind him and conserve energy.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Still am not putting shoes on pedals. I prefer to put my shoes on and run with them. Less than ideal, I know, but it's more comfortable.

My heart was racing in T1 so I was moving with less coordination than I had hoped. I also took it slow to help catch my breath a bit.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 40s
  • 40 kms
  • 25.94 km/hr
Comments:

Fun bike leg! Heart was really hammering for the first 3-4 miles of the first lap, then found my groove. It's really hard for me to find hills to train on so the technical climbs of the course were difficult, but a good challenge!
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Pretty good T2 for me. Was surprised how quickly I got out.
Run
  • 1h 05m 56s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 31s  min/km
Comments:

Again, it's very hard for me to train on hills. The climbs and descents were very difficult and I would have to walk for a minute or two every mile to get my HR back down. Very scenic and beautiful course, though. I was shooting for 11min/mi so I call it a win!
Post race
Warm down:

Got back in and almost collapsed. First Oly race meant I was worn out but proud.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on hills.

Event comments:

The course is beautiful and the race is very fun. The aid stations on the run were plentiful and volunteers were very helpful.

One thing I wasn't expecting was that I wasn't allowed to enter transition prior to getting body marked or putting my number on the bike. My typical process is to show up with my transition bag packed with all my gear (including numbers in it) and then prep inside transition ending in body marking. The volunteers literally WOULD NOT let me even put my bag down in transition area to get my number out. I had to drop all my stuff in body marking, find my number, put it on the bike, get body marked, then pick everything up before I could get into the transition area.

Also, post-race food was terrible. I am a slower racer, but by the time I got back, packed, and ready to eat, all that was left was rolls and Chex Mix. I don't know if they had more food initially and I just missed my chance, but I was hoping for at least a sandwich or something!

Last updated: 2013-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:44 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 122/152
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two laps around buoys and then into the boat ramp. Pretty good course. Sun was in my eyes for one leg of the triangle but didn't make sighting too hard.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:40 | 40 kms | 25.94 km/hr
Overall: 118/152
Wind: None
Course: 2 Laps counter clockwise around the lack. Each lap crossed the dam and proceeded out the park, then there was a turnaround point. Turnaround point was kind of a pain as it as a fairly sharp 180 degree turn which required killing a lot of speed immediately prior to the worst climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:56 | 10 kms | 06m 31s  min/km
Overall: 129/152
Course: 3.1mi out, turnaround, run back. Very hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-08 7:49 PM

User image

Subject: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by martymo
Views: 1355 Posts: 1

2013-07-07 12:41 PM martymo

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by genking
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 3:13 PM genking

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by roland745
Views: 1459 Posts: 1

2007-07-09 11:58 AM roland745

Started by jcb91
Views: 1323 Posts: 2

2007-07-09 11:08 PM NightOwl

Started by vbtrigirl
Views: 1753 Posts: 2

2007-07-06 11:36 AM shelly123
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.