General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamond in the Rough Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Diamond in the Rough Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Perryville, Maryland
United States
Pirhana Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 26m 3s
Overall Rank = 200/227
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3 am, ate bagel thin with peanut butter and banana as I drove to Maryland. Sipped water and had banana.
Event warmup:

Worrying about if swim was wetsuit legal.
Swim
  • 44m 17s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

My main goal for this race was to get through the swim. Although I hoped upon hope that it might come up wetsuit legal at the last moment, alas it did not. This was my first mile swim in open water, second mile ever. I was not prepared to race just wanted to finish. Was last if not close to last swimmer.
What would you do differently?:

More training in the swim. I am happy with my performance though considering I just learned to swim and my bilateral breathing went out the window but no panic and really no negative feelings about the swim other than "this is really boring."
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

This was my first race attempting the shoes already attached thing. I have to say that once I got out of the water I had NO fire in my belly as I do in a sprint. I made half hearted attempt to get in shoes and finally did so.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 1h 40m 16s
  • 27 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I held back for a lot of the course because I was treating it like a training day and also because I was worried about what the "big one" was going to feel like. Getting aero on the down hills made my day! I am pleased with my bike ride.

Nothing. I was happy with it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Had no giddy-up after the bike ride. Really did not want to do the run. By this time the sun was all the way out and it was HOT. I had eaten one Gu at the start of the bike and had drank just pure water. Just felt very negative and even back-talked Booger when he was telling me to dig a little deeper.

Hopefully not be so negative in the future.
Run
  • 57m 55s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This is were shit got REAL. It was HOT by this point and I was mentally entering what I refer to as my Blubbering Mode. There is a lot of negative thoughts and self-pity in this mode. I do appreciate the people who tried to buoy me up with their kind words and I am sorry if I cursed in front on your children. There was a lot of walking and ugliness.

It was UGLY.

I really don't know. I am not a heat runner. Even 20 pounds lighter at this point the heat just kills me.
Post race
Warm down:

Shaking my head, trying to move my lower jaw which seemed to enter some form of rigor mortis and telling Booger "I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN."

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ability to perform faster.

Event comments:

I liked this race although I am not sure it was a good choice for my first international distance attempt. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys going long though!

Last updated: 2013-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:17 | 1760 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 217/227
Performance: Good
Suit: NO WETSUIT
Course: Diamond shaped in 1/4 miles increments clockwise. Last 1/4 into the sun, which decided at this point to come out.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:40:16 | 27 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Overall: 169/227
Wind: Little
Course: Quite hilly and the one hill at around mile 20 was badass. Although I don't get to train on big hills near my house I did not find these terribly intimidating and in fact made several passes on hills. The down hills made me smile like a kid - the volunteers at the bottom of the one really technical hill where you hit like 30+ mph and then make a sharp left on wet asphalt - they had to think I was deranged I just was laughing and loving it so much. It was a really tough but really fun course. In the fall when it's not so stupid hot and muggy that course would be AWESOME!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:57:55 | 05 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 212/227
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on local streets and sidewalks. Mostly in sunlight.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 8:58 AM

User image

Subject: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamond in the Rough Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Diamond in the Rough Triathlon - International Course

Started by TriTerps
Views: 920 Posts: 4

2013-07-15 8:59 AM pugpenny

Diamond in the Rough Triathlon

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 2760 Posts: 15

2007-07-14 6:25 PM JoshKaptur

Started by Dtraining
Views: 1759 Posts: 3

2006-07-13 7:14 PM wyecrab

Started by wyecrab
Views: 2636 Posts: 7

2006-07-10 3:23 PM ejc999

Started by AlBearAngel
Views: 1283 Posts: 9

2005-07-11 1:30 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.