United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m
Overall Rank = 48/175
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

In September 2010 I finished the iron distance REV 3 in 12:47:31. In 2011 I had my first kid and my second came along in 2012. Suddenly having less time to train on my hands I switched my focus to running. In fact, after riding my bike for over 2500 miles in 2010 I biked about 40 miles in 2012 and exactly 0 miles in 2013. My swimming training was only slightly better.... just about 7000 yards in the pool this year.

So I'm really not sure why I signed up for this race. In fact I almost skipped out on it when I realized it might interfere with my running training. After my disappointing time in the Air Force Marathon last year I have been extremely focused on sticking to my training plan for 2013. After talking with my wife, who made the great suggestion of just doing this race for fun, I decided what the hell and decided to show up and race.
Event warmup:

The day before I did the 14 mile run on the training schedule. Best idea ever right?
Swim
  • 15m 41s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

That's about what I expected with the very limited amount of swim training I've done. But the swim went well all things considered. I didn't take too much damage from other swimmers, I think I sighted fairly well, and since it was a sprint, I was out of the water before my lack of swim training hurt me or E. Coli was able to colonize my body.
What would you do differently?:

I might have thrown on the wetsuit as it was wetsuit legal, but the time saved probably would have been eaten up on T1 anyways.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I continue to be a transition monster. If there was a 100 yard dash race while wearing bike shoes I would beat Usain Bolt.

Obviously stop being a tightwad and spring for a tri top so I don't have to put on a shirt. But I've been saying the same thing for 7 years now. I just don't like wearing shirts when I swim okay? Deal with it.
Bike
  • 40m 4s
  • 12.42 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

So yea that went better than I expected. When I finished that 112 mile ride during the IM in 2010 I remember thinking as I tossed my bike to the catcher, "I am never getting on that thing again". And I pretty much haven't. At all. The day before the race my bike was still upstairs sitting on the trainer. Both tires were flat and it was covered in cobwebs. I actually took it out just to make sure I still knew how to clip in and out.

But once I hoped on, it was like 2010 again. It probably helped that the course started with a really long gradual downhill, but I felt fast the whole loop. I normally get passed like crazy during the bike but I actually hung in there and passed a bunch of people.

This is actually the first sprint distance I've done in maybe 5 or 6 years and it was so nice to be done with the bike portion so quickly.

Nothing at all. This couldn't have gone any better than it did with my complete and utter lack of any sort of bike training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Everything was fine until I got off the bike. Then WOW! My groin muscles were on fire! It was crazy! They were like, "What in the hell was that? I thought you told us you were done with that infernal machine?"

Run faster out of transition. Legs would not work.
Run
  • 22m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 1/10 of a mile was a bit slow because of the groin thing but once they warmed up I was good to go. I was worried yesterday's 14 miler would bring the suffering but nope....I put the pedal down and went. I hardly ever run without a Garmin but since I was trying to keep my expectations low I just went by perceived effort. I felt great the whole run and passed lots of folks and only got passed once by a woman who looked suspiciously like Chrissie Wellington.

Nothing. Great run. Marathon training paying dividends already. In 2012 I ran 544 miles. Already at 587 this year. I'm coming Air Force Marathon. And hell's coming with me.
Post race
Warm down:

I received my finisher's medal and immediately realized why the t-shirts were so crappy compared to year's past. I proceeded to try and choke to death on a piece of watermelon. What a way to go. "Triathlete survives E. Coli, Route 73, and hotter than Hades run, dies while attempting to eat his weight in watermelon post-race". A cautionary tale for the ages.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That whole not biking in 10 months thing.

Event comments:

I have to hand it to HFP. I had almost given up on them but this was much improved from the last race I did with them in 2009. I appreciated that the prayer service wasn't done over the PA as in years past. I also was glad the timing seemed to work.

Last updated: 2013-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:41 | 750 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 96/175
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:04 | 12.42 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Overall: 67/175
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:56 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 23/175
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon

2013-07-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4804735

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon
Nicely done!  Holy crap that's a solid run in that heat.  Kudos!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon

Started by tnickerson
Views: 2555 Posts: 13

2008-07-08 7:50 AM c_cic

Started by daryth25
Views: 1367 Posts: 3

2007-07-10 6:56 PM chrisrunzs26

Started by chrisrunzs26
Views: 1638 Posts: 8

2007-08-13 8:11 PM berlinsd

Started by Sassafras
Views: 1823 Posts: 9

2006-07-15 9:10 PM KathyG

Started by Donna May
Views: 1450 Posts: 1

2006-07-09 3:18 PM Donna May
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.